Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung S7 making random beep like morse code 'x' i.e. "long short short long" or da-di-di-da

(Topic created on: 21-04-2020 12:11 PM)
fbleichenbacher
Journeyman
Options

A couple of weeks ago my S7 started to make a sound like morse code 'x' at a relatively low pitch, i.e. no high frequency tone. I cannot recall having installed any 3rd party app that could have triggered this. The beeping occurs at random intervals, varying between 15 minutes and several hours (yesterday at 15:37, 15.55, 16:20, 16:39, 17:40 etc.) and is particularly annoying at 4 a.m. or so. It also occurs when the phone is on "do not disturb", which I have activated for the night hours (11pm-5am). There is no message displayed with it either, and I am unable to relate it to any incoming message, alarm or notification. Also, it is not related to NFC or any other wireless signal (WiFi, BT, SmartThings) as I have disabled them one by one, but the beeping still went on. It occurs spontaneously, independent of location (bedroom, office, kitchen, out of the house...) and is independent of the phone being moved or sitting still.

Assuming that there is nobody out there who has the same phenomenon, does anyone of you, dear readers, know of any tool which could track the origin of such beeps and thus giving me a clue as to what could cause it? Caramba, it just beeped again :-((

27 REPLIES 27
Nl5
Apprentice
Options

Hi... You are not the only one. My S9 is doing the same. I have this phone for little over half a year but since recently it also makes this sound. Similar experiences, (....it just did it again...), no indication whatsoever where it could come from. And just like you, I thought it to be an "X" or a "Y" in Morse. It is driving me crazy as I cannot figure out where it comes from or how to shut it off. There is no standard notification sound just like it, neither one of the recently installed apps produces this sound. I've switched from iPhone to S9 but if this goes on for long I will move back..... :))

0 Likes
fbleichenbacher
Journeyman
Options

Hi

It is always good to hear that other people suffer from the same plague 😉

After my post above I booted my S7 into safe mode, in which there was no beep anymore. But this did not help me much further, it only indicated that the beep was probably caused by one of the apps that got disabled in safe mode. Switching back to regular mode I was anxious to hear that dreaded "da-di-di-da" beep again. However, keep fingers crossed, it has not appeared any more since then. My hope is that it will stay this way and that it was just a glitch in the bellows of Android which had caused it, weird as it was...

latif_ksk
Journeyman
Options

I have the exact same problem on my S9+, started today and beeps almost every 10-15 min without any notification. As you said only 2 solution come up online; NFC or Notification reminder. Both turned off, so it's not the case. I'll try safe mode now.

0 Likes
latif_ksk
Journeyman
Options

Unfortunately safe mode didn't solve it as well..

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
Is anything showing up in the drop down Notification Panel when you hear the chimes? If you have an email account registered to the device then try opening the Email app > Tap the 3 lines in the top left > Tap the cog in the top right of the pop-up window > Notifications > Change the notification sound for normal and VIP incoming mails, or switch them off completely. Does this help at all?
0 Likes
latif_ksk
Journeyman
Options

Hi, no actually there is no notification or anything when this sounds, it's exactly the OP described, like a morse code, 4 beeps, shorta and longs. There is no ringtone like that

0 Likes
fbleichenbacher
Journeyman
Options

Hi Andrew

Thank you for your hints. Unfortunately there is/was nothing showing up on the Notification Panel, not even at the exact time when the beep occured, neither before, nor after. It just left no trace at all.

As I mentioned in my previous post, booting into safe mode and letting it run in safe mode for a few hours before switching back to normal mode seems to have helped. I have not had the beep anymore since then. Nevertheless thank you for your hints about the email notifications. All of them except for the one at the very bottom are "On", and the chime is set to "Letter". In case the dreaded da-di-di-da comes up again I shall certainly try switching them off.

Hopefully your hints help some of the other affected users to cure their beeps.

Have a great day, stay safe,

Felix

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options
@fbleichenbacher: Thanks for trying that. If the sound wasn't present in Safe Mode, and subsided after rebooting the device, then, as you pointed out, this is likely to be stemming from a third party application. The problem is, it's not possible to pinpoint which app is causing the issue, so you would have to remove each of your downloaded apps to determine this. You can try going to Settings > Accessibility > Notification Reminder > Off, to see if this helps, or Soft Resetting the phone by pressing the Volume Down and Power buttons together for around 10 seconds. Very strange, though.
0 Likes
VikramVittal
First Poster
Options

My S8+ is sending me morsecode messages. Not sure if an alien is trying to contact a priveleged few or the recent software update is a frickin mess. Fortunately i put it on silent and no notification, else drives me nuts. Any one found a solution yet please?

0 Likes