Support

Open search

Samsung s7 Edge Not Updating to Nougat

Highlighted
Apprentice

I have an S7 Edge with mobile carrier EE. Since I recieved the handset it has never updated its software. The Nougat update has been live for months but my handset claims to be running the most up to date version of android. I have contacted EE and went through all the steps to fix the problem but they have now advised me to contact Samsung. I have tried a factory restore, firmware recovery via smart switch and was advised to dial *#1234# which showed up with the message 'Connection problem or invalid MMI code'. I have also tried connecting to Samsung Kies to see if I can download the update (or any update) via pc but it still shows as having the most up to date version installed. The Android version I have is 6.0.1.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @m0nstur

When a Network supplied Samsung known as a Branded phone is concerned what happens to the best of my knowledge is....

> Samsung Send the firmware to the Network for testing.

> The Network then authorises Samsung to push out the firmware update to their branded phones once their happy with it.

> Samsung then send out the update in waves dependant I believe on the phones serial number. 

Both Networks and Samsung do not tend to discuss updates and timeframes on sending them out. 

Sites such as Sammobile and xdadevelopers are a good source of info. 

The best way is to periodically check your phones software update settings. 

Another is to put a Custom Rom on the phone but this avenue needs to be broached with caution and knowledge. The two sites I mentioned earlier have lots of info and tutorials on that subject. 

I hope you get it soon. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-9820 _256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 2.5/ Android 10.

Highlighted

Hey, thanks for the reply. I have spoken to the network who confirm the update had been sent to all s7 edge contract phones months ago and I should have already received this. The issue is that my handset for whatever reason thinks it has the most recent update installed when it doesn't. Apparently there were previous firmware updates that I also did not recieve. They went through all the steps I mentioned in my original post but none worked so they sent me to Samsung to see if the issue was maybe with the handset. It's a strange one I know, has had me stumped for weeks now.

Highlighted

It may be worth mentioning EE have also sent me a handset which is not branded. I bought it direct from EE but they apparently give you a choice if you get a branded or non branded handset...I did not so unbranded was sent my way.

Highlighted

Hi @m0nstur

A Network supplying an unbranded Phone is new to me. 

Can you do a test for me ?

Go to the Playstore and download the App called phoneINFO

Once downloaded launch it and swipe to the CSC code part and let me know what it says under active CSC codes or the product code. 

Current Phone ~

Highlighted

Cheers for the help here, it's Product Code : SM-G935FZKA.

I have been told anytime I go with an issue to them that because my phone is unbranded they cant help. Can't get wifi calling either but I can live without that. To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if the whole unbranded thing from EE was a quick answer to pass on having to try and help.

Highlighted

No worries. 

An unbranded phone from Samsung has a BTU CSC code which is what mine is. 

An unbranded phone supplied from Carphone Warehouse has an Xeu CSC Code. 

ZKA I do not think is unbranded but a Network Firmware version. It should have more after it ?

I’ll see if I can dig around if a moderator doesn’t beat me to it.   :winking-face:

AA43ABD7-6711-4B79-AAB8-B1E4D7409E26.png

Can you put any Networks SIM card in it ?

Current Phone ~

Highlighted

Screenshot_20171010-181909.png

There's a screenshot of what it says. I haven't tried it with a different network, can give it a go when I get home in 30 mins or so. Had a feeling it sounded a bit suss, get the whole unbranded spiel every time I try to sort anything out.

Highlighted

Just checked, phone does not work with a different networks sim

Highlighted

Thank you for checking @m0nstur

That in my mind validates you have a Network Locked unit which will have the Networks version of Firmware on it. 

When you turn it on do you perhaps see any Network splash screens and is their network type apps on it. 

Current Phone ~

Top Liked Authors