Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung pay+ on S8 : how to setup ???

(Topic created on: 25-04-2022 08:14 AM)
Stuart12
Apprentice
Options

I have Samsung Pay on s8. I want to go to Pay+ so that I can load more cards than are supported. The instructions on the Samsung website are utterly useless. they say two options:

1. Click on the Samsung Pay+ starter card you'll see in you Samsung Pay app.
2. Click the Samsung Pay+ banner in the 'Home' tab

Well my S Pay doesn't have any of those options available !! Uhh ? 

0 Likes
19 REPLIES 19
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
I think you have setup a standard Curve account not a Samsung Pay+ account as you should also see a Samsung Pay+ card in Samsung Pay app Screenshot_20220425-074449_Samsung Pay_205_1650869215.jpg
0 Likes
Stuart12
Apprentice
Options

This is what I have. And the 'Open in' Takes me to Samsung and shows the curve card. If this is 'funcational' in the same way as any other then I guess its OK but....

Screenshot_20220425-074725_Curve.jpg

0 Likes
Stuart12
Apprentice
Options

I do not have a SamsungPay+ card, and no options as stated on the samsung website:

1. Click on the Samsung Pay+ starter card you'll see in you Samsung Pay app.
2. Click the Samsung Pay+ banner in the 'Home' tab.

This all makes me very tempted to just ditch Samsung pay and move to something else, like google. But I don't know whether GooglePay makes it easy to switch between cards, and I don't like the fact that it seems you need to have a data connection to use it (which is not always the case). 

0 Likes
Stuart12
Apprentice
Options

so how am I supposed to have setup a SamsungPay+ account ?? I download Curve, created an account, checked I didn't have a 'samsungPay+' showing in SPay, then used the 'open in SPay' option from Curve.

Frankly, if it all ends up working the same way bar the name of the card and not getting Samsung loyalty points I'm probably fine with it. (though they might be nice to have: I've never bought directly from Samsung site but heh, if the points becamse valuable perhaps I would)

0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
The only difference is the Mastercard that you get one branded Curve the other is branded Samsung Pay Mastercard. Both work in exactly the same way.

I did setup Samsung Pay+ but the biggest issue I see with either setup is if you get a refund on something you've paid for using either the curve or Samsung Mastercard Is it's refunded back into your Curve account and branded as Curve cash you can't easily transfer this back into your bank account the money came from which is bad if its a large sum of money.

You need to use either PayPal or apparently have a Monzo account to get you cash out of curve, I'd suggest googling this to fully understand Curve.

Next reload of my phone I'll be switching to google pay, as you can't switch between Samsung Pay and Google pay without reloading your phone back to factory settings.
0 Likes
Stuart12
Apprentice
Options

"I did setup Samsung Pay+ but the biggest issue I see with either setup is if you get a refund on something you've paid for using either the curve or Samsung Mastercard Is it's refunded back into your Curve account and branded as Curve cash"

Oh wow. That is a major drawback. I want to be in a position that I have my sole and our joint debit cards, my Credit Card, and my (elderly) fathers debit (different bank) all enabled on my phone. Rather defeats the purpose if you can't easily get refunds back from whence they came. Looks like I'm going to have to look at how curve works, 'cos god knows what the point of having cash trapped in the curve account would be. 

I have nearly stuck Barclay Pay (or whatever it is called) on my phone as my Credit card is Barclaycard, but when I looked that too looked like it wanted to take over the universe and you cant have both it and SPay enabled. 

No wonder my phone case is still stuffed with payment cards......

0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options
I'd recommend either barclays pay or Google pay, I went the curve route for samsung pay barclays support but I came across how much of a pain it is to get refund cash out of the curve account (it should be refunded back to the card it came from or one click withdraw from the curve app) but its not!
Stuart12
Apprentice
Options

thanks. A couple of quick questions then as you seem to have down similar route to me.

1. Can I put other cards into Barclay pay other than barclays ?  (and is that a separate app ?? As much as I google I keep coming up with paying contactless via the standard barclaycard app .....).  

2. From what I read, if you use Barclays app then it has to set as the default (and therefore replaces Samsung pay): see 1. about the issues with that if you can't add other cards

3. Google pay: again, I would have hoped to find a clear answer on line but haven't: does that charge you a fee when using a CREDIT card ? I see stuff that says it does, and stuff which says it doesn't. But a definitive answer....I'm not finding one (yet).

if you know the above based on own experience I'd love to hear it. 

0 Likes
StuartR
Troubleshooter
Options

1: I've never used the app

2: You only appear to be able to use one.

3: I don't believe google pay would charge you for paying by credit card, the store your buying from may add a % which can be the case for my American Express card but I've not see this in a longtime.

4: I opened an HSBC account which I solely use for online purchases, they support Samsung Pay, google pay and apple pay.
Members_bZgCcQb
First Poster
Options

Ive decided to join Samsung Pay+, but am having much difficulty doing so myself.

I added a card in order to show the Pay+ banner on Samsung Wallet (Pay), ticked terms and conditions and then said to download Curve App. 

Downloaded the app and then added a card onto Curve to do a spend - there was a x5 transactions of £5 and get £5 back so did a spend, but the offer is nowhere to be seen anymore...I also ordered a free card to arrive from Curve too. Awaiting delivery.

Went back to Samsung Wallet - but i cannot see anything for Samsung Pay+ or in Curve App anything to do with it either.

Not sure what ive done wrong or if i should just delete my curve account once card and initial transaction clears.

Bit annoying! Was hoping there would be 1% spend at least, but i have to pay monthly in order to do so, and you dont find that out until youve finished registering...

Any advice here would be great.

0 Likes