Original topic:

Samsung Mail App S7 Edge 5MB Limit?

(Topic created on: 02-04-2019 04:36 PM)
Stewartv
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

HI,

I had to send an original photo via email and found to my surprise that the Samsung Email App fails to send if the total size of attachments exceeds 5MB. Latest app is installed v4.2.74.1 - I am not sure if the previous version failed or not as the App auto updated last week.

I use an exchange server and have no issues with sending from a PC and the Exchange server has no limitations of attachment size from any connected devices.

I believe that Samsung may be using code from the 'standard. android email app whereas GMail allows 25MB or more.

If Samsung are promoting the device for business use, how can their email app have such restrictions? I know I could upload the images to, say, Onedrive and then email a  link but that defeats the purpose of email to a degree.

Unfortunately I cannot use the Outlook App as it does not integrate very well with the Android contacts, whatsapp etc and I do not like GMail unless absolutely necessary.

Any ideas? Are Samsung even aware of such an issue? I have tried support.....

0 Likes
28 REPLIES 28
Stewartv
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

Just checked with Fasthosts and they do not impose any restrictions on message sizes. They suggrst that it might be the Samsung mail app when it uses active sync?

Anyone else out there using the latest stock samsung email app with exchange on Nougat?

0 Likes
Stewartv
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

Definitely some sort of Samsung Active Sync issue.

I have had Fasthosts take another look at the settings for the server side part of Active Sync and there is no low limit set. It is around 25MB minimum.

Hope someone from Samsung can investigate further?

0 Likes
andy_t
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Did you ever get any official feedback on this issue?

0 Likes
Stewartv
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

Not really - just that they want to take remote control of my phone to run testswhich I am not too happy about.

In further testing, I have found that it is actually around 7.5 - 8MB when the send failure occurs, and only to activesync accounts (Ms Exchange).

If I go to the Exchange account Outbox which contains the failed message, and the Mail App shows a Tips box which states "This message is too large. Remove some attachments and try sending this email again"
I retried the mail by putting the phone in safe mode, cleared the cache and restarted all with no success.
I have been in touch with my ISP (Fasthosts) who have NO restrictions on Active Sync to mobile devices.

Were you also experiencing the same?

0 Likes
andy_t
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I have seen instances of this recently where larger attachments cannot be sent and yes it is also using Exchange Active Sync.

I am wondering if there has been a recent change to the app that has introduced this issue.

0 Likes
Stewartv
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones
I just edited my last post.
I also wondered about whether the app itself changed, or if it was one of the 'major' Android updates which included the Active Sync component.
The problem with installing an older version of the App for testing is that it then is 'outside' of the Playstore control and you will never get update notifications.
If you get any more success with Samsung than I did, then please post here! I cannot imagine that this is limited to just a few customers.
0 Likes
zelo20
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi,

We had same problem like you in our company. Our solution is in screenshot.

Sorry for english :smiling-face:

Snímka.PNG

HardeHans
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
I came accross the same issue yesterday. Have found a solution?
0 Likes
Stewartv
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi,

I am resurrecting his question to see if anyone has a solution or workaround?

S7 Edge is now on Nougat and the issue remains with the Samsung Mail App (Exchange account) giving error messages when attachments in total exceed about 5-7 MBytes.

The Mail App has been updated to the latest version and still no luck.

The ISP has NO restrictions on attachments under 20MB.

Is this a generic Samsung issue?

0 Likes
Stewartv
Journeyman
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi,
I am resurrecting this question to see if anyone else has had a similar issue?
My S7 is now on Nougat and mail app is at latest version, but sending attachments where the total size exceeds 6-7 MB fails with the Mail App reporting that the attachments are too big.
My ISP says that the exchange server settings are all allowing 20MB sizes.
Sending via POP3 is OK so it suggests something with the Exchange connector maybe?
0 Likes