Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Health (and other) GPS information not available

(Topic created on: 18-05-2020 06:49 AM)
arfurdaley
Apprentice
Options

Hello from Down Under :smiling-face:
I have a new Samsung Galaxy XCover 4S, and have installed the Samsung Health on my new device. It synchronised and copied all my steps over, which is great!
Except on the old device (a Samsung Galaxy A3 2017) it also showed a map of where I had walked. On this one it doesn't show any location info, all it does is count the steps.

I have checked the permissions and it is definitely set to allow access to Location - oddly the location doesn't show in the Gallery for photos I take either.
The old device would have the Google pin notification thing when it was looking for the location, but I've yet to see it on this one.

Any suggestions most appreciated, thanks in advance :smiling-face:

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Hi,

Things have changed in Android 10 and in apps.

I take it the phone and all apps is fully updated already?

Settings > Location = the toggle must be On, and preferably 'Improve accuracy' allowed to use Wi-Fi & Bluetooth scanning.

In 'App permissions' make sure Samsung Health, Camera and other apps you want has location 'allowed all the time' - Android 10 want to limit location access for apps to 'only while in use' for security reasons.

Check the list of limited apps and adjust as needed.

There's also a long list of apps in Location 'denied' after the Android 10 upgrade on my 4S that I still try to sort out. Security is nice but the phone must still work.

Samsung Health always only draws a cicle of the area I've walked when registering workouts automatically. - I have to manually start a workout for it to draw the track on the map.

Settings > Device care > Battery > Power mode = Location is only available all the time when set to 'Optimised'. All other options limit how often and how accurate location is available.

I hope this can inspire to sort it out?

-- Hans

0 Likes
arfurdaley
Apprentice
Options
Evening and thanks, this is running Android 9. Gosh I miss my A3!! It was nice and compact (I really liked the 4.7" screen!!) I wish Samsung would keep making phones that size. The only things I would have changed about it would be to have a better camera and much more drive space, like 32GB - heck, even 24GB would have been fine for me, 16GB just is not enough in today's world.

The phone has indeed been fully updated, I only started using it yesterday. I checked all the settings you mentioned above and they're all set exactly as you described - yet still no GPS map in Samsung Health, and the Gallery still isn't showing locations.

Happy to post any screenshots/provide any other information if you like.

Thanks again :smiling-face:
0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

I'm puzzled - how about Google Maps, does it work as expected?

Maps should complain if the general settings are less than perfect, and guide what to change. It requires real GPS connection for navigation, so try start navigating to somewhere? It displays 'waiting for GPS' (or similar) until it has a lock.

Other than that, we're back to the general troubleshooting steps: restart the phone, clear data and cache of misbehaving apps etc. - and must consider a mechanical defect if satellite data is not available for Maps.

-- Hans

0 Likes
goodkarna
First Poster
Options

Same

0 Likes