Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S8, Can't Uninstall Apps via the homescreen anymore

(Topic created on: 04-11-2019 05:20 PM)
Gnietschow
Apprentice
Options

Dear Community, 

For a half year now, I am unable to uninstall apps via the home screen. I can drag and drop them on remove to get them off the homescreen, but when I drop them on the trash icon it doesn't happen anything. The same problem persists for the app list. Uninstalling apps via the settings menu still works, but is a bit tedious when I again install tons of games to test and want to get rid of them afterwards.

Does anyone have an idea what I can do? Ot does anyone know the related system service, so I can clean and restart it?

Thank you in advance!

- Tobias

11 REPLIES 11
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

Hey @Gnietschow! Third party apps are the only ones that can be actually uninstalled from the phone, whereas Samsung embedded apps can't be deleted whatsoever. The best way to uninstall third party apps is to hold your finger on the app icon as this will bring up a little menu with different actions you can do. Among them there will also be "uninstall". Does it make it easier?

Gnietschow
Apprentice
Options

Hey CarLoL,

it doesn't work with any app icon on my homescreen. Uninstalling them from the settings menu does work and removing them too, but not uninstalling.

I think I don't have this menu already as I can't bring it up. When I hold my finger on the app icon, it will drag and two buttons appear "Remove" and "Uninstall", but not a list. Maybe my Android version is too old, in the settings menu is statet that I'm using Android 9 with One UI-Version 1.0, last updated on 27th October 2019.

0 Likes
CarloL
Hotshot
Options

Hey! When you hold your finger on the app icon and you select uninstall. Does the third party app get uninstalled? If so, this would be the quickest way to uninstall third party apps at the moment, aside from uninstalling them from the Settings menu. Let's also make sure that your phone is running on the latest software version by heading to: Settings > Software update > Download udpates manually. 

0 Likes
maxim5
Student
Options

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as the original poster. Any third party app when I long press it and drag it to "Uninstall" it doesn't do anything. The only way to uninstall apps ist to go into Settings - Apps - select the app and hit uninstall which is more work than dragging and dropping from the menu or home screen.

regards,

Maxim

Titi22
First Poster
Options

Same issue here 

I see no soultion.

Long press on any apps on home screens, bring remove and uninstall, dragging to uninstall does nothing, to remove ok. Uninstall from settings- apps works fine.

Galaxy s8 +

Looking for solution 

0 Likes
gama2010
First Poster
Options

go to settings-->Display-->Homescreen-->unlock home screen layout 

you should be able to uninstall and move apps directly from your homescreen 

maxim5
Student
Options

seems you're on to something. However in Settings --> Display my "home screen" is grayed out!

0 Likes
Gnietschow
Apprentice
Options

I don't think that this is it. For me the home screen option is also disabled, but even it wouldn't: I can change my home screen freely, move apps, add apps, remove apps, but only can't uninstall them from the home screen.

0 Likes
BacardiMan
First Poster
Options

I on a Samsung Galaxy S9 running Android 10 and One UI 2.0 (Build: OP1A.190711.020.G960FXXS9DTD7).

I have the exact same problem as maxim5.

When I go to Settings --> Display there is no "Home Screen" button.

0 Likes