Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge Unusual Battery Drain

(Topic created on: 14/03/18 13:03)
Turboteckel
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

The last few days I've (once again) encountered weird battery drain behaviour for my Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge. I've had this kind of behaviour before, straight after new security updates. However this time it's different. I have installed the latest build (G925FXXU5ERB1) on 27-02-2018. This time however the drain started about 10 days after the update.

I have not installed any new apps on my phone during that time. I did let Google Play automatically update all the apps that were already on the phone. I don't know which apps it did and did not update during this time.
The last time I had this problem a factory reset solved my problem so I figured it would do so again, but it didn't. I also wiped the cache to no avail.

What does stand out is that the battery usage is normal when I turn Airplane mode on. To show the difference, normally when I have my phone in standby during the night (~8 hours or so) it would only drop about 1% maybe 2% whereas it now drops 30% or more. Right now, with Airplane Mode turned on, it will only drop 1% over an 8 hour standby period.

I have most of the bloatware turned off. (Facebook, Samsung Health, those kinds of apps.)

There's no abnormal CPU usage when I show the graph onscreen from the developer options. And there don't seem to be any irregular apps running when I check the active services. The battery save mode is set to mid. The bettery screen shows no unusual battery behaviour by rogue apps.

Now, there's tons of people having problems like these all over the internet, but there seem to be very few answers as to what exactly is causing this problem. I'm not looking for advice that I should go to a store, I want to find out specifically what the underlying culprit is here. Seeing as the phone acts normal when Airplane Mode is on, it strikes me as a software problem. But I'm pretty much out of ideas at the moment.

Let me know if you need any additional info.
If anyone has any new ideas or forums that could lead me in the right direction, that would be great.

Thanks in advance.

8 REPLIES 8
MarinX
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Hello , same problem here , after last update my battery  goes from 100% to 70 % while i sleep , and its drain mush faster  , please helpp 

0 Likes
MarinX
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

my build is G925FXXU5ERB5

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Other Smartphones

Id suggest to put the phone in Safe Mode which will turn off all the downloaded apps and leaves the stock ones alone which can then help you determine if its a rogue app causing this issue. 

If no joy and a factory reset is not helping then a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre location can run a diagnostic on the phone. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.1/ Android 11.

0 Likes
Turboteckel
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
Yeh, that's not it. I've narrowed down the problem by taking my Sim Card out and turning Airplane mode off. This also fixed the problem.

A user on the Dutch Samsung forum said that this was a known problem since November last year but there hasn't been done anything about it.

He said it's because of the 2G/3G/4G (Auto) setting and that setting it to 2G should fix it, so I'm going to try that next.
0 Likes
Bakfiets
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Have you checked your wifi settings-->advanced wifi settings-->keep wifi on during sleep = OFF 

This setting must be turned to off, else the drain can be really harsh and noticeable.

IF it is not that it could be one of those script miners at work that use your hardware when you browse certain websites without your consent to mine cryptocurrencies..If in doubt, clear your browser cache, plugin data etc and use the phone without surfing to test whether something changes. (You could also disable java script in browser and test that way)

Regards..

0 Likes
Turboteckel
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Thanks for the advice but the problem did seem to be the 2G/3G/4G (Auto) setting in the mobile networks tab. I set it to 2G only and the problem is fixed. Not ideal, but at least I know know what caused it.

For the Dutch people (Or the people with google translate) this is the thread about it:

https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/Mobiele-Producten/Software-update-s6-batterij-snel-leeg/td-p/318...

0 Likes
wyzow1
Options
Other Smartphones

Thanks for your information on this problem. I also had this issue with my Samsung Galaxy S6. It turns out Google Play Services was draining my battery at an alarming rate. The solution that worked for me was to remove a couple of Google Accounts that were chronically unable to sync.

Settings -> Cloud and accounts -> Accounts -> Google -> choose the account to delete -> tap thethree dots menu in the top right -> Remove account

0 Likes
Jacob19
Options
Other Smartphones

On my S6 it is the same problem. I have found that the issue occures when the mobile network is switched on, that starts the draining of the battery. If I switch to slower connection 3G or 2G the drain goes down in the same way (maybe that is what it means; 2G is 2x draining, 3G ix 3x draining and 4G is 4x and maximum draining 😄 ).

I am quite sure that it is some software update that has caused this, because it was not a behaviour in at least the first year since I bought the phone.

It would be nice to find a solution to this, because that would mean that the mobile network could be switched on all the time. As of now I only switch it on when I want to use it.

0 Likes