Support

Open search

Samsung Galaxy S3 switches off automatically each night

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hello

I've had a Samsung Galaxy S3 for ages, unfortunately for me, the phone recently just switched off, then on, then won't go past the "Samsung" screen.  Ah, I thought (well, something a bit more sweary) - but I had a backup identical model phone in case one broke, so I started using that.  Moved all my apps, installed banking app etc, and then happy.

Or so I thought...

The new (well, it's an old phone, but one I haven't been using, bought as back up) phone now switches off when charging every night, an issue which was going to switch to me charging it during the day when I can stare at it and see if anything happens to make it switch off, but then I realised it switches off each night even when it isn't charging.

I have a bigger battery to hold a charge for a few days, and so even when I don't charge it, just have it next to me as I sleep - and next morning it will be off.  I presume it might be switching off around 5am... this is only a rough guide as if I switch it back on, and flick through the phone, I see my unread emails are up to around 5am, and then after a few minutes it logs back into the internet etc and brings me newer emails.

I first thought it was that it kept switching off when charging... but now I know it does it at (I presume) the same time every night even when it's not charging.  Can't use it as an alarm clock anymore, as it's off before the alarm goes off.  Anyone have any idea what's happening?

13 REPLIES 13
Highlighted

Hi @SVG.

Have you noticed at what battery percentage it's switched off on? Are you using the original charger? Is the software up to date?

Also, it's worth trying it in Safe Mode overnight a few times to see if there's a non-stock app that may be causing the issue. 

Say "Hello!" to the Community in The Introduce Yourself Thread.

Highlighted
Apprentice

Hello

It changes battery percentage, sometimes when it goes down to 10% I plug it in overnight, and it's off in the morning (never used to be), and others - like last night - it was at 53% and when I woke up it was off, when I then switched it on it was at 17%, raahhh!!  *shakey fist*

Never done stuff like that before.  I've assumed my battery is fine, but today I've actually switched to another battery instead of mine, so will report back how it went overnight.  It's annoying as I want to test it, but not sure what causes it to switch off, it's not being used, but I could not use it all day (ok, so it's not that unused....) and it is fine there. 

It's not the original charger, that one died a loooong way ago.... probably 3 years ago or something.  This one has been used for ages without fault.  Could be that, but it's weird it switches off even when not charging.  That's the bit my brain cannot work out.  I'm wondering if I should switch off the auto-time thing, and set it to another time.. so it thinks it's midnight when it's actually midday, to see if it's something to do with the phone and it's internal settings so it switches off when it's overnight.... I have no idea though, cannot understand it.  And we're only in the first week so I'm not at that stage yet....

I presume the software is up to date, it's never asked for an update and is set to do it automatically.

I'm going to try with the other battery for one night, but will try safe mode from tomorrow!  This issue will be solved...!

Highlighted
Apprentice

Mission fail...I've had the other battery in for maybe 5 hours, and it switched off. There goes my thoughts on only night time then.  And on it just being the other battery. Not 100% on battery power loss, but must have...I'm on 77% now.

Highlighted
Apprentice

Nope. Failed...checked after 1 hour...it was ok (in safe mode), after 2 hours it was off.

Highlighted

What's the battery usage percentage breakdown on it? Settings > Battery.

Highlighted
Apprentice

When I went to bed, ridiculously late last night, I was over 60%, this morning, when I woke, it was at 16%... It's now on 13%. Went to bed around 4.30, it was still on, at just before 6am I checked it... It was off, so restarted it and was pleased that was it... But when I got up properly it was off again, and then I noticed the battery was down - don't remember checking around 6am but sure of the 4.30am percentage, I'd thought it was low considering I'd only put it less than 12 hours before.

One thing I realised that hadn't clicked, the phone is off, no buttons switch it on... But the coloured light at the top left was flashing blue, so like it was on... But screen is off. I'm sure if you switch off the phone that the blue (as it was this morning, think it can be other colours)  light doesn't flash.

Gonna have to switch off the phone overnight. :-S

Highlighted
Apprentice
Oh and when I checked the battery screen thing you mentioned, it shows the power going down but then at one point it just does a straight line down where it looks like it's lost power straight away. I'll try and take a pic and upload it somewhere.
Highlighted
Apprentice
Hope this works, it shows where the battery suddenly cuts...

http://ibb.co/e3yFwF
Highlighted

It does.

Do you have mobile data and Wi-Fi permanently swiched on? Any fluctuations in the signal will chew up power as the phone automatically searches for the strongest signal to lock on to - and a sudden large fluctuation/drop in signal might account for that sudden power drop.

Top Liked Authors