Support

Open search

S8-Can I downgrade from Oreo back to Nougat?

Highlighted
First Poster

Hi, 

Can I do that if yes can you tell me how. 

Thx 

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

You can @MacShot 

Just being Nosey but may I ask why you’ve decided to want to roll back ?

May I ask how you put Oreo on your phone originally ?

If by the official Oreo Beta then this is from the Official Beta Notes. Screenshot_20171106-061506.png

Screenshot_20171106-061547.jpg

If via a custom rom then I’d suggest to visit SamMobile and xdadevelopers to read the tutorials and as importantly learn what to do if something glitches. 

My advice comes from being a UK Samsung Phone User.

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 10+ 5G _256Gb > Model: SM-N976B._ Samsung One Ui 2.1 / Android 10.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.
Samsung Galaxy Buds.
Samsung Galaxy Tab A {2016}SM-T580

Highlighted
So far all works well, with slight issue with BT however I've noticed that I'm having problems to connect to my car via Android Auto (error 16) and I need that feature. So that's why I will.be rolling back.
Highlighted

I've rolled back using smartswitch. Android Pay wasn't working properly and the experience was a bit laggy. Also, the active  notifiation labels on each app really played with my OCD to the point i found them irritating. T

Highlighted

Thank you @stewrogers and @MacShot

This is one of the reasons I didn’t want a Beta Firmware on my daily driver. 

Really this should be put on a back up phone for testing as each Beta iteration will hopefully resolve / iron out reported back bugs to Samsung.

But until then bugs will appear , be ironed out and could re appear with other bugs being experienced after a Beta Update. It’s pretty much the whole point of using a Beta Firmware. 

Its a shame these bugs Experienced led you to roll back. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

Highlighted

Well it was useful to get some real world experience of it and I might go back to the beta further down the line. Hopefully the feedback I have provided goes some way to helping fine tune the experience so when launch comes its buttery smooth. The S8+ as a device deserves the best software Samsung can muster because it's a great phone!

Highlighted
First Poster

I can't speak for this person but I personally want to roll mine back to nougat from Oreo (downloaded/installed through auto update on my galaxy S8+ ) because for some absurdly rediculouse reason Android (or samsung) thought it was a good idea to get rid of the feature that allowed you to set an individual messageing notification tone per specific individuals. And that is a very important feature to me personally.it alowes me to know who is measefime me at work so I know if it is important to check right away i.e my children or other important people. why on Earth would they do away with that option ? I'm very upset of this. And personally to me the steps to roll my galaxy 8 back to nougat looks very confuseing and to be a pain !

Highlighted

I'm rolling back as well.  icons no longer show a number of count for new items.  my Email no longer shows a count for new mail.  it's stupid to remove features like this.

Highlighted

@Tyger255

I'm on Oreo and personally I prefer the dot on the app to show something is new. 

However a person can set this to a dot as I have or have a number of awaiting new notifications in the dot. 

On my s8 this is via Settings - Notifications - App Icon Badges - Badge Style. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Galaxy Buds.

Highlighted

Absolutely with you on this. Personally, I'm all for new features, but I despise being forced to accept a different style at the same time.  I don't mind one being offered - but the choice of how my phone looks and feels should be mine. There are no technical reasons why each feature upgrade should also require an enforced style-change. The only reason it occurs is for the same reason that supermarkets move items in the store around - it's a trick used with the intent of psychologically controlling their users. Or put another way...it's one group of humans trying to mind-f.u.c.k another group of humans with the intent of profiting from the mental unbalancing. So, that makes Samsung just like every other big tech company I guess!

Top Liked Authors