Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S6 Edge Fast Charging After Update

(Topic created on: 05-10-2017 07:57 AM)
GavH
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Since updating to Nougat 7.1 i have had issues with fast cable charging not working, and USB connection to my PC will not recognise my device. I have been in touch with my network provider O2 and sent them the phone to investigate the issue. The answer i got from them was that as my phone has a damaged screen (10mm blemish above the earpiece that has been there since 2015) this invalidates any warranty.

I am not trying to make a warranty claim, i just want the fast charging and connectivity issue working as it was before the Nougat update. I advised O2 to search the internet and advised them that this issue is on many forums.

O2 claim to have been in touch with Samsung who said they have not heard of this issue before so will not reflash the software on my phone. Am i right in assuming that as part of the warranty the software should be kept up to date? Samsung sent the update to my phone which as far as i can tell, damaged it and should be re-install the OS to allow my phone to work as it did before.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?

0 Likes
7 REPLIES 7
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Maker ★★
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi @GavH

O2 are the responsible party as the provider of the phone in regards to the Manufacturing Warranty. 

Their repair houses will see the screen issue and see it as black and white that it could be from a accidental drop etc or not the usual fair wear and tear. 

This is why they will have most probably refused repair. 

Now most manufacturers themselves even if they didn't supply the phone to you want to help mostly under the warranty so it's always worth visiting a Samsung service location or Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre location. 

Be aware they too could refuse. 

In regards to the software / firmware. 

No it's not part of the Manufacturing Warranty.

Some people like to update to the latest firmware and some don't for their own reasons. 

If a phone is supplied by a Network then it's a branded handset with their own version of firmware and CsC Code on it. 

Samsung in my experience send the firmware to o2 so o2 can test it etc. 

o2 then after testing it to ensure nothing clashes with their network services send it back to Samsung with authorisation to send it out to their branded phones. 

Phones bought directly from Samsung have their own CsC Code and receive the update without any interjection by the networks. 

I assume your fast charging setting is still turned On in the phones settings. 

Have you tried another charger cable and brick on your phone and your own charger cable and brick on another phone as a process of elimination. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²² Ultra 256Gb.
Samsung Gear s³ Frontier Watch.
Samsung Galaxy Watch⁴ Classic.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I have no affiliation with Samsung.

0 Likes
GavH
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

If the update is problematic causing the issues, should O2/Samsung reflash my phone with the software as potentially that is what caused the problems, judging by other forum posts?

I am using the original charger and cable, i have 2 devices and one works fine with both chargers my S6 does not.

All i get from O2/Samsung is damaged screen so we will not do anything.

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Maker ★★
Options
Other Smartphones

The question is was the damage to the screen already there when you first acquired the phone if not then something must have happened for the damage to be evident.

Unfortunatley from my past experience when damage is showing to either the casing of the phone or the screen then the manufacturing warranty will be called into question because that's what they will say.

A phone can have a custom Rom put onto it but one has to be careful if taking on such a process. Info is on sites such as sammobile and xdadevelopers. 

0 Likes
GavH
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
I dropped the phone, about 8 weeks into my contract causing the damage but this never affected the fast charging or USB connectivity.
I have downloaded the official Marshmallow software to revert back to as this was working fine, but as the phone will not connect to the PC i cannot put this on.

So now i am stuck with the Nougat that causes me issues.
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Maker ★★
Options
Other Smartphones

Sounds like your pretty much stuck with going through the network or manufacturer then I'm afraid. 

0 Likes
GavH
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
Exactly! And they are not interested due to the small blemish!
S8 it is then.
Only thing i will miss from S6 is the IR Blaster, so much fun!
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Maker ★★
Options
Other Smartphones

The s8 or s8+ are powerful devices indeed. 

Loving my s8. 

Or then there's the Note 8 !!

0 Likes