Did you mean: 

Original topic:

S6 completely frozen following software update

(Topic created on: 03-12-2018 12:45 PM)
BSM48
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

My S6 Edge was on overnight charge and a software update took place. In the morning it was showing the Samsung logo page (white characters on black background) and the LED was alternating between blue and white. After about an hour the screen went completely blank but the LED stayed on.

I have tried removing the SIM card for 30+ minutes and pressing the Power and Volume Down buttons simultaneously. I have tried every other combination of buttons. I have used Chat to speak with Samsung and they sent me some Troubleshooting tips, none of which worked.

I took the phone to my provider's (Vodafone) shop and they could do nothing with their various apps and said they had never come across the problem before.

I'm waiting for the battery to run out to see if it will reset following a charge. I had to get another phone because my S6 is totally locked. If I go to a Service Centre they will delete all my data despite the fact that it is MY data on MY device - after I had paid for the phone on a monthly contract I converted the plan to SIM only.

If this was a problem caused by the download of a software update overnight (Nougat?) Samsung should a) not charge for repair and b) should safeguard my data. I am well-acquainted with various Data Protection legislation.

Samsung have cost me a new monthly plan I didn't want.

0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Other Smartphones

A factory reset will take the phone back to the latest successful firmware update and as such Yes can delete your data. 

It's a part of the process just incase its not just the update. 

I understand what your saying about it being your data. 

You may find your phone has auto updated to Samsung Cloud. 

It's best practice to  create backups just incase something like this happens. 

If you can't hard reset it and the battery depletion doesn't work then you will need a Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Centre. 

Current Phone > Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

0 Likes
BSM48
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Thanks for the response.

Obviously I can't do any form of soft/hard boot or reset.

Why or how would an auto-update to Samsung Cloud render the phone unuseable? Whether it was the OS update or Cloud that caused the problem it is still Samsung's fault.

I had a back-up from March and (finally) managed to upload my contacts. I use MobilEdit.

Can I demand that my data is saved? I don't believe that, as the Data Subject under the legislation, they have the right to delete my data without my permission. I would like to know under what legislation they feel they have the right to erase my data.

Is there a way I can escalate this problem?

0 Likes
BSM48
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Just for info, considering that battery life is always important when choosing a new 'phone:

Since my S6 locked up I have been waiting for the battery to discharge to see if a charge from empty will kick it back into life. All that is working is the LED. I have now been waiting since 3rd December and the battery still hasn't discharged!!

0 Likes
scrubbs
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I have the exact same problem anybodu know how to fix it ? The nearest samsung shop is 70 miles away

0 Likes