Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

S4 dead and doesn't charge

(Topic created on: 18-06-2020 12:40 PM)
Nevrandil
Apprentice
Options

My daughter was watching YT on my old S4 yesterday when the battery got low. As she put it on charge a black screen came on with the Android symbol and thr text 'Download in progress, don't turn ofd' (or something along those lines) Well the battery then died and now nothing works. It doesn't charge at all. Twice, upon holding the start button down that same black screen came on for a second and now nothing.

I've exchanged batteries with my husband's old S4 and still nothing. The cable works on all other phones.

Any ideas what, how and why, please?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
Hi @Nevrandil, can you try holding down the Power and Volume Down buttons while the charger is plugged in? Does this help?
0 Likes
Nevrandil
Apprentice
Options
Hey, thank you for your reply :smiling-face:

I have tried that several times, with both batteries. Nothing happens.

Nev
0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
Thanks, when you plug the charger in, does the LED light on the top come on to indicate that it is actually charging?
0 Likes
Nevrandil
Apprentice
Options
No, no light. At first, when we plugged it in, the charging sign came on, but no charge was being taken. Now the phone just stays dark and dead. This happens with both batteries.
0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
In that case, it's best to get it inspected by an engineer. Are you based in the UK?
0 Likes
Solution
Nevrandil
Apprentice
Options
I am.

I'll be trying something: I'm gonna charge both batteries with the broken phone and see whether that helps at all. I have a feeling this problem isn't battery based at all. As mentioned above, there was a Download in Process don't turn off the phone screen before it shut down.
0 Likes
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
You can certainly try that, let me know how you get on.

The screen that you are referring to can come on for a variety of reasons, however, if the phone is no longer charging or turning on at all after troubleshooting, the next step would be to get inspected.
Nevrandil
Apprentice
Options
Right. Good news. It worked. I had to press the volume, home and Power button, but the phone came on. I then got a screen full of code which just asked whether I wanted to reboot the system or other options. I chose the reboot and now all works well.

Thanks for everyone's help :smiling-face:

Nev
SaudA
Troubleshooter
Options
Great! Glad you got that sorted out!
0 Likes