Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Note 8, latest mail app update not emptying recycle bin

(Topic created on: 14-12-2020 01:03 PM)
colinbutcher
Journeyman
Options

Hello,

The latest mail update (to V6.1.30.30) no longer empties the recycle bins for any of the IMAP accounts set up in the mail app. Mail is left in the trash folders of the mail accounts instead of being deleted.

Refreshing the view in the recycle bin again shows all the deleted mail items, because they have not been deleted from the recycle bin. Deleting everything in the recycle bin should (and used to prior to the recent update) empty the corresponding trash folders in the mail accounts.

To empty the trash folders, it is now necessary to log into each of the mail accounts via a web browser and then empty the trash folders individually.

The problem with the latest Samsung mail app occurs whether "all accounts" are selected, or individual accounts are selected.

It may be a bug in the way that IMAP now maps the recycle bin folder in the Samsung mail app to the different mail account trash folders.

This is problem. Please fix it swiftly.

Thanks, Colin.

20 REPLIES 20
colinbutcher
Journeyman
Options

Hello Andrew.

There is no "Delete Emails from Server" option under server settings for any of the mail accounts I have. These are IMAP/SMTP mail accounts, not POP/SMTP mail accounts.

Email delete from the Samsung mail app does move a deleted email from the inbox (or whatever other folder it's in) to the mail provider account's trash folder (shown as the Recycle Bin in the Samsung mail app), but following the update to V6.1.30.30, deleting items from the Recycle Bin no longer deletes them from the mail provider account's trash folder, so the next refresh of the Recycle Bin shows all the deleted emails again. And so on, until the bug introduced in V6.1.30.30 gets fixed.

Cheers, Colin.

0 Likes
Anstey
First Poster
Options

This does not work either!! 

0 Likes
mjh123
First Poster
Options

Hi AndrewL

In server settings there is no option ‘delete emails from server’.

0 Likes
Cugster
First Poster
Options

I had same problem. Called internet provider no solution ,called Samsung no solution. Read post by someone to uninstall updates on Email app. It worked but I had to reinstal email which I did . The email app gave me the factory installed version which was ok.

When you do this procedure you may lose inbox and sent folders so before uninstalling updates I sent stuff I wanted to keep to a secondary gmail account. Not being a techie this worked but you have to do the same procedure after each email update.

lupin2020
Student
Options
still not working in december 2020😡
0 Likes
lupin2020
Student
Options
yes. sadly.
0 Likes
Brian510
Apprentice
Options

Same problem here, I have over 1000 unwanted emails in my recycle folder, and every time I delete them from the recycle folder they reappear a minute or so later.

0 Likes
fmb912
First Poster
Options

I too am trying to resolve this issue, but the instructions/directions listed by AndrewL simply don't exist on my S7.  The server setting do not include any options, tick boxes or drop down options for deleted items.

I need to be able to empty my deleted items from my phone, just as I can do it on my iPhone.  I empty my deleted items only for them to reappear, empty the same items on my iPhone and refresh the deleted items on my S7 and there gone.

Please Samsung... fix this.  It is ridiculous that I have to use my iPhone to permanently delete items in my deleted items that where put in the deleted items on the Samsung.

0 Likes
Solution
Aaisha
Student
Options

There is a new app update that fixes the issue. Just update the email app and it should allow you to delete emails from recycling without reappearing 

0 Likes
colinbutcher
Journeyman
Options

Thank you. The new version is 6.1.31.2 and it seems to have fixed the problem where the recycle bin was not emptying the mail provider account trash folders.

The new version is available via the Play Store, not the Samsung Store. There is a note in the Play Store about the Samsung Email app that this problem has been resolved.

Cheers, Colin.

0 Likes