Support

Open search

Note 8 iris scanner issues

Highlighted

My note 8 iris scanner won't even try it goes to the register screen the set of eyes pop up the red light blinks for a split second and instantly goes to the pin unlock screen...the front camera never even turns on...

I went to the actual camera app and the front cam works without out any issue...

Iv tried all different distances all different lighting, glasses, contacts, bare, wide eyed, relaxed, different angles it's always the same it won't even try to read my iris haven't tried with anybody else's tho...

Any helpful replies would be greatly appreciated...

12 REPLIES 12
Highlighted
Superuser I
Superuser I

Hi @Kiejan77

This is one of many tutorials on how to set up the Scanner. Please take a look st this or one of the others via a Google Search just to ensure your going through the full set up process. 

Note 8 Scanner.

My suggestion is to return it to the supplier of the phone for them to take a look or even at a Samsung Experience Store  / Service Location,and ask for a new replacement if the supplier of the phone can't remedy the issue. 

If this was my phone I wouldn't be inclined to try resets etc due to it being so newly owned and expensive. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-9820 _256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 2.5/ Android 10.

Highlighted

I'm having the same issue here. I looked directly at camera at the correct distance and it's not working correctly. I will try a hard reset but I'm hoping that I won't have to.

Highlighted
First Poster

Eve  my note8 wont work. I ve only had the phone for 4 days and this thing wont work and the front cameras wide angle selfie isnt working either it stucks and the camera app wont open again it says that theres an error and to fix it i had to restart my phone. The iris scanner didnt work after that. I have tried clearing the cache , safe mode etc. Nothing worked. I paid this much for a phone like this and the samsung support wants me to factory data reset my phone which is insane!. 

Im still waiting for an answer from samsung. And did u update your phone theres a new update, try to update and check whether the problem remains. If so u need to change your phone to another or get your money if u can thats the best option according to my point of view. We paid this much and theres still issues. Im disappointed about Samsung at the moment. 😞

Highlighted

Same to my Note 8 now... Still not working after several Hard reset on the devices itself...

Highlighted
Apprentice

Same issue with my NOTE 8 (SM-N950U) that I bought around black friday. Issue happened less than a week ago before and after I updated the phone. Never been misused or dropped high enough to be a hardware problem. Not only does the IRIS scanner not work, I'm also having issues with the proximity sensor, wide front facing cam, Auto brightness (which doesn't even show under display settings anymore) and the AOD is too dim. I've done everything from A-Z, tried exchaging the phone, hard factory reset and cache delete, reinstalling the latest software update with no luck. Last resort is warranty... Hope this will bring Samsungs attention to this issue

Highlighted
Getting worse now... auto brightness not working, screen rotate not working, even apps like google map are not working properly... think I better send my Note 8 to Samsung Service Centre for a check... worst still, I will consider changing to iphone model...
Highlighted
It's really annoying, hope a patch fixes this
Highlighted
Apprentice

UPDATE!
I believe I may have found a fix to this issue as My Note 8 went back to normal after doing this. Here's step by step of what I did.
1. Go to phone and enter *#0*#
2. Press and play with every option for ex. Red, then Green, then Blue, all the way till S-PEN
3. Play with the S-PEN module for about 30 seconds before restarting the phone by pressing the power on and home button simultaneously 3 times to shut off the phone

4. Wait for Note 8 to restart

5. Go back into phone and enter *#0*# again

6. Press IRIS CAMERA TEST and see if it works now
I hope this works for anyone who is frustrated by this issue. Gl!

Highlighted

So the problem I have is that when I go to register, the percentage sometimes stays at 0%, sometimes goes up to 21%, or 33% or 58% and it times out.

The problem started yesterday, about 2-3 weeks after the oreo update. I've been using the iris scanner with no issues before.

I also factory reset my phone and that did not help

Top Liked Authors