Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Note 8 Battery Drain After Google Update Patch

(Topic created on: 06-12-2017 07:11 PM)
galactik3
Apprentice
Options

I received the Sprint OTA update N950USQU2BQJB a few days ago here in California which carried the security patch and Google Play Services update version 11.7.46 which has been terrible on my battery.

This has become an abysmal pattern for Google and all Android phone users, constantly receiving updates which seemingly have not gone through any proper tests or vetting by Google before rollouts, If users are continuing to update their devices at all, which I will not be any longer after this ever again no matter what features are offered.  

What good is a new security patch or Google Services update when your phone won't have any adequate screen on time to reap any benefits from such updates.

And why Samsung, do you continue allow software bugs to ruin the battery design of your own engineers and developers on almsot every device you have relesed since 2011?

Specifically I am using a Samsung Note 8 on Sprint's Network and this is maybe my third or fourth purchase of Samsung device in the past several years. I have now seen my screen time go from an average of six to seven hours on screen time to now barely five and a half after this update!

I feel there Is a pattern of Samsung and Google releasing updates like these, full of issues that tear the performance and battery life of Android phones across the world apart ahead of new sales quarters and particularly before big releases like the announced Samsung Galaxy Note 9, perhaps, I don't know, as a way to entice us to continuously purchase new devices.  

Conspiracy at this point I know, however, Google and Samsung both are too talented and valuable as a companies to have this be associated with their brands, like, stop killing our batteries!  

For many people, this is the biggest reason for choosing one phone over another!  Not the camera, not augmented reality or VR, or even GPS.  Some people just want a phone that's not going to constantly die every few hours because of Google Play Services.

Every few months this happens, and I hear Oreo 8.1 is already trashing batteries as well.  

Get it together you guys!  

You all are supposed to be a group of some of the best engineers, designers and developers on Earth, stop allowing little ridiculous bugs like this ruin the entire Android experience, which If you all are not aware already, is what is exactly you're doing when you allow battery drain issues like to be rolled out to the world perpetually and patternly with bugs year after year!

Shame on Google & Samsung both!
4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @galactik3

Im in the Uk using a Samsung Galaxy s8. 

Ive had a few updates since I bought it on launch date and my personal usage gives me 2-3 days approximately. I consider myself to be a medium to heavy user. 

But as phones settings , preferences are set differently on each phone and we all use different apps battery usage stats is subjective. 

The generic advice is to perform a back up and factory reset if the phone is glitching. 

It can also take a short while for the phone to settle and for some apps to optimise and if required update. 

Ive personally not been in the position to have to factory reset however. 

I hope you find some resolution. 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
galactik3
Apprentice
Options

Hey man,

Thanks for replying to me.  This is not my first rodeo with Samsung devices and I have seen this same issue come up many times.

I took screenshots of my battery use from the time I first purchased the device around Halloween '17 and compared the stats to my battery post update and I have lost ninety to one hundred and twenty minutes screen on time and It seems to be a known Google issue and It seems to be hitting the Pixel users the hardest.

My frustration with Samsung is that they are aware this happens to their devices and refuse to get out of denial about it.  They watch and allow Google to ruin the experince of their users year after year, and of all the compaines who should concern themselves most with the battery experience of their users it's Samsung and I am so angry bro!

I'll refer you to check out these links which pertain to the November '17 Google Security Patch & update to Google Play Services and the havoc it is placing on batteries seemingly across the globe.

1 . Google Play Services causing severe battery drain for some Pixel 2/XL users after Nov update -

https://9to5google.com/2017/12/01/google-play-services-causing-severe-battery-drain-for-some-pixel-2...

2 . https://www.reddit.com/r/GalaxyNote8/comments/7disqt/still_having_google_play_services_battery_drain...

3 . https://www.phonearena.com/news/Experiencing-Google-Play-Services-battery-drain-after-the-latest-upd...

4 . Google Play Services app causing device overheating and extreme battery drain for lot of users

5 . https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/phone-by-google/8diGZSxiYRg;context-place=topicsearch...

Also, keep in mind im using a Note 8, so comparing the battery performance of our devices will never be a solid or realiable comparison even without the drain im experiencing currently, S8+ might be a bit more fair.

Nevertheless this is a real problem that has now been introduced by Google under Samsung's watch and Im just over It man, especially having experienced this exact same thing across so many other flagship Samsung devices. 

This is a true pattern!

I appreciate you trying to be as helpful fellow user, however I have performed a cache partition wipe and also a hard reset, no diffrence, which should be the case anyway once you update firmware. 

Once that update is done, the fat lady is singing and you're done until Google or dare say Samsung introduces a fix, which at this point I am wholy unable to believe either comapny is capable of doing.  

No resolution to be found, at least not by users, Google and samsung however, they should be looking for a reolution and an end to this ridiculous pattern!

So pissed off man, but thanks for trying to help My G!

Eortiz
First Poster
Options

I just had mine replaced and continues to force updates, i fear it will ruin my phone again.  Took it to a ubreak it I fix and they say it was intact but ruined draining power. 

0 Likes
Eortiz
First Poster
Options

I just had mine replaced and continues to force updates, i fear it will ruin my phone again.  Took it to a break  it I fix and they say it was intact but ruined draining power. 

0 Likes