Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

No Wifi Calling option on S7 edge (oreo)

(Topic created on: 10-10-2019 06:39 AM)
RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

Just moved to a mobile "blackspot" so cannot use Sky mobile network. Tried to activate "wifi calling " but no option exists on my phone. Sky tech team said it should work as they automatically switch calls to wifi. Samsung support said Sky should have an app for me - but could not explain why I do not have the option under Settings. I see others had similar issues under Nougat. Never needed it before I moved but now I need it I feel Samsung are "fobbing me off". Surely they have a work around - so many seem to have similar issues. Spent many hours over last week  scanning www but no- one seems to have an answer - but surely Samsung are selling 'unfit for purpose handsets claiming they support wifi calling. It is clear from my research that this problem has existed for years starting with the S6. 

Go to solution
11 REPLIES 11
Solution
RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

Yesterday, I got the problem fixed. To recap, I switched to vodafone over a year ago - sky EE & ID had failed me- my son used vodafone and when visiting him he switched his sim card into my phone and wifi calling worked - so I switched provider as all the other services had said I could get it, but were in breach of contract when they did not deliver. Back to yesterday: I logged onto My Vodaphone from my desktop and under settings saw the wifi calling was already ON. I decided to "reboot" (i.e to switch it OFF then ON to see if it made a difference). As soon as  turned it OFF I got an on-screen message "this could take up to 8 hours to action" - so I thought by the time I switched ON again, that could take 16 hours (not too chuffed!). I then invoked the "Tech Chat" service and told the guy I'd spent days trying to sort this out when I moved into this house well over a year ago, and I was trying to switch wifi calling OFF/ON in an attempt to re-set and try again (but did not want to spend 16hours waiting for a result. He obliged, by doing it for me in a few minutes, then told me to switch off my phone and re-boot. I did, and my S7 Edge is now working. When I logged on here to reply with this update, samsung sent me a 2nd stage verification code, it came via wifi calling in seconds - yesterday when I contacted vodafone before they sorted this problem, they too sent a verification code to me - FIVE times! The whole point for me requiring wifi calling is a very weak mobile signal. I had to hang out of an upstairs window waving my phone like a lunatic until the code arrived, only to get back to the desktop to find the session had timed out. It took over an hour by the time I got a "quick code" and got back to my desk before time-out. Looks like that problem is now solved, so thank you for the query, as it prompted me to try again. The issue for me was with the cell phone service provider, not with Samsung, but some time over the last year they obviously fixed the problem. The most annoying thing in all this was Sky Mobile, who I'd been using for years had originally stated on their website that they supported my S7 Edge, but after blaming everyone else (me. Samsung, the retailer) they removed this model from their approved list. These phones are not cheap, but rather than get to the bottom of the issue they dropped the model - how many users like me did they mislead to our cost. Anyway, thanks Voda Tech Guy.

0 Likes
Solution
RayJ1
Journeyman
Options

I should have added that after Vodafones intervention, as soon as I'd rebooted the phone, and thanked the Techie, I went into "My Vodaphone" again to verify Wifi Calling switch was ON, then into the S7Edge phones own settings, which now said Wifi Calling was ON too - whereas previously it was not even on the list of options.

0 Likes