Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No Android 10? Let the community handle it. Unlockable bootloader on US carrier-unlocked flagships since the Note 8 and S8 NOW!

(Topic created on: 10-09-2020 09:28 PM)
Syberkonda
Apprentice
Options

We know that Samsung is not limited by carriers, especially here in the US with models like the Note 8 SM-N950U1, since they released the original OneUI 1.0 beta to carrier-unlocked models here in the US before any of the carrier models got it. It's also not a snapdragon issue since the Hong Kong Note 8 uses a Snapdragon 835 and has an unlockable bootloader. Not only that, but XDA has already made custom ROMs based on Android 10 for it!

I love my $1000 Note 8 and I don't want to upgrade, but getting security patches is important for me and KNOX won't suffice for less frequent security updates in a year. I don't want to be that guy, but if we don't get an unlockable bootloader on US carrier-unlocked models, I'll be spending $1000 (or maybe less) on a non-Samsung phone that I can unlock the bootloader on to keep receiving security patches (or pushing them to my phone myself if I get into custom ROM development).

No excuses, Samsung. My Note 8 was a $1000 phone that came out with Nougat literally a week before Android Oreo came out. The fact that you're counting Oreo in the two year update guarantee is wrong, but the fact that you won't let me unlock the bootloader on my $1000 pocket computer to allow me to deal with updates myself (even though you let others outside North America do it, even if they have Snapdragon SoCs) through custom ROMs is even more wrong.

Now I know the typical responses. "Samsung would never do this," "why would they want to do this," etc. Here's the thing: Samsung only has things to gain from this. Unlocking a bootloader and installing a custom ROM is far too complicated for most users. By allowing for an unlockable bootloader on US carrier-unlocked models, Samsung could take a chunk out of OnePlus' market share among developers in the software development powerhouse that is the US.

Plus, let me remind you, Samsung has unlockable bootloaders on their non-US carrier-unlocked flagships, including their international and Hong Kong S8 and Note 8. Samsung so far has not been able to make a valid justification for why they cannot do this on their US carrier-unlocked models.

And as for the rest of you with newer US carrier-unlocked flagships: you will be in the same boat in a few years, missing out on the latest Android version (if you are a developer, this is a major problem) and missing out on frequent security patches soon after. It is within your best interest to support this demand.

11 REPLIES 11
hcd
First Poster
Options
With you 100%. I've got a carrier-unlocked US S8+, and I would love to keep it current now that we are no longer receiving major updates.

I think your point about making this a more attractive device to software developers and other techies is spot on.

Please, Samsung!
squashsm
First Poster
Options

I hope some kind of exploit comes soon, currently running Android 10 on my Galaxy S5 with LOS 17, and it runs amazing. But the only reason that's possible is because you're able to flash back to KitKat with combination firmware and run TowelRoot to then flash TWRP from a Safestrap. With the S8, Samsung has prevented Android downgrades. Kinda sad that it's been this way for a while though, it is so simple and easy to unlock the bootloader on so many other Android devices out there that are way smaller than Samsung. Really considering leaving Samsung for my next phone so I can go back to being a power user with my primary phone. Sucks that Samsung makes such beautiful, good-looking phones, but such bad, bloated, and locked-down software. Although they have stepped up their game with One UI, I have to admit.

moneyforpeople
First Poster
Options

I'm actually thinking of making a small claims case in my country... 

Syberkonda
Apprentice
Options

That would hopefully give them some incentives.

Syberkonda
Apprentice
Options

Funny you mention power users, as that is who the Note line is supposedly aimed at.

John_likes_pie
First Poster
Options

Absolute nonsense. This locked bootloader in North America tells you much they care about the developers and stuff. They don't. Unfortunately. Let's see if they value my business. I only own samsung. 

I currently have a note 8 on pie. It's ok but it isn't android 10. I also had an s10+ and that I toasted by dropping it. Replaced it with the note 8 Snapdragon.

SAMSUNG! I will trade my Knox for root access. The fact I can't pisses me off!And there are thousands more like us. 

I am an avid root fan and these new devices have mucho power.  Samsung opened the bootloaders. I know alot of people are mad we aren't getting 10. Comeon and do the right thing.

Idcaboutname
First Poster
Options

That's why oneplus is better. It has a unlockable bootloader

Twelvevoltguy
First Poster
Options

Just left samsung for Oneplus after 10 years of loyalty because of this exact issue. Until they unlock the bootloader and allow call recording to resume I will not purchase another Samsung phone. Call recording is 100% legal here in Texas and extremely useful. Oneplus is not quite as good as a Samsung note just yet but at this point just having a phone that doesn't make me sacrifice features is a win. 

Agent_6
First Poster
Options

Seem we have to ask the "guy" who requested that Boot-L-locked, AT&T or Sprint. Samsung don't even give a dammn answer on this topic.

0 Likes