Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Mobile phone user

(Topic created on: 22-07-2022 02:27 PM)
HelenH2
Journeyman
Options

I have never had a mobile phone but would like one for emergencies and am thinking of buying an unlocked, refurbished Samsung Galaxy S2 I9100 8MP 16GB Super Amoled Plus Smart Phone.  I would then get a 6GB 12-month contract from Virgin (I think they send a SIM card in the mail)

1. Is everything compatible? 
  2. How do I get my new phone number?
  3. Do providers usually just charge extra if you go over the 6GB limit, or do they warn you or stop the service for the rest of the month?

Thanks for reading

Helen

7 REPLIES 7
Solution
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Hi @HelenH2  yes if phone is unlocked you can use any provider.

Your phone number will be provided with the sim. It can also be found on your Device,   Go to Settings-About Phone and should be shown.   Alternatively Go to Connections-Sim card Manager and it will be displayed. 

There should be a warning displayed once you reach your Data limit. Varies by provider but usually you would  need to purchase an Add on.  See some information here https://www.simsherpa.com/networks/extra-data-charges-comparison 

However if you are only using the Mobile occasionally should have  sufficient Data, if using Internet you can use wifi at Home  as well as Mobile Data (if you have Broadband)

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

HelenH2
Journeyman
Options

Thanks for this James.  Absolutely perfect.  Could you also let me know what happens to my phone number if I change providers please? (really important that I keep the same number long-term).  Last question, promise.

Helen

JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

@HelenH2   No problem,To keep the same number you need a PAC code, however new Ofcom  rules have streamlined  the process and  customers can request this by text , providers should respond quickly.  More detail here https://www.comparedial.com/guide/transfer-your-phone-number-and-switch-to-a-new-network-pac-code-16... 

I do not work for Samsung or make Samsung Products but provide independent advice and valuable contributions.

HelenH2
Journeyman
Options

Thanks again.  Excited now!

Helen

HootleTootle
Voyager
Options
I'm curious to know what you're paying for what is an 11 year old phone.

I would be very concerned you're being ripped off.

Also consider that most UK networks will be turning off 3G in the next year or so, rendering the S2 useless. The version of Android on that phone is ancient, so most apps won't work either.

You can buy a brand new Samsung phone (A02) for £120, which gives you 4G, security updates, good battery life, bigger screen, warranty...

Or indeed if you're just looking for a dumb phone for emergency use, a cheap Nokia may be better,you can get 4G Nokias for less than £40 brand new.
antikythera
Black Belt 
Options
If you only want it for emergencies, go for a pay as you go SIM instead of a monthly plan. There's no point paying for a contract when you can get £20 credit added to a PAYG which would last you 6-12 months with sporadic usage only. All you'd need to do is turn off mobile data which isn't needed for making calls anyway. Also a feature phone for that purpose would suit better. A new Nokia 3310 for £49.99 for example. Battery life on feature phones is far superior because they don't have a huge screen, a load of apps running constantly etc. So it would work when you need it rather than needing charging every day at least once.
JAMES4578
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Obviously there are alternatives such as the Nokia which may suit well however if particularly interested in a Samsung phone a reasonable deal on this one which would be better for future proofing than the older model. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-Galaxy-SM-A013G-DS-Black/dp/B08H4K66RJ/ref=mp_s_a_1_29?crid=2GOPGQS...

0 Likes