Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Need to delete personal info from old Samsung

(Topic created on: 12-04-2021 04:24 PM)
MagsMcLean
Journeyman
Options

I'm trying to remove the Samsung account from my mum's old Galaxy Ace (GT-5830i), so that I can do a factory reset and pass the phone on.

I've removed the phone from the Samsung account (using the laptop) but I cannot remove the account from the phone - when I enter the password (which IS correct) it comes back with 'processing failed' - same message before and after I accessed the Samsung account on the laptop.

Can't do a factory reset without removing the Samsung account. Can't remove the account because 'processing failed'. I have manually deleted every single bit of data from that bloody phone, but my mum's email address is still there so I'm not comfortable with passing it on so any ideas??

0 Likes
16 REPLIES 16
Steven9761
Troubleshooter
Options
Try SETTINGS/SAMSUNG ACCOUNT/DEVICES. I think you can dissociate the account from the phone this way. You will see a list of devices connected to that account. If your phone appears in the list, disconnect it. After that, I'm not sure what else to suggest. Good luck!! 😊
0 Likes
MagsMcLean
Journeyman
Options

I did that already. Logged into the Samsung account on the laptop, saw the device listed, and removed it. Restarted phone (several times) but the account is still listed on the phone and I still can't do a factory reset without first removing the Samsung account...

On the upside, I am now getting a new error message when I attempt to remove the account. It now says 'wrong password'. I have double and triple checked and I AM using the correct password.

I wonder if the problem is that the password has been changed since this phone was retired (not a scooby what the old password might have been) but that shouldn't make any difference, should it?

0 Likes
TessM
Mastermind
Options

Hey @MagsMcLean ,

I think that this is the issue as you need to enter the password that was used when the account was set for the first time. Anyway, you can get this wiped by taking it to one of our Support Centres along with proof of purchase. Find your local one by inserting your postcode on this link: https://www.samsung.com/uk/support/service-centre/

0 Likes
MagsMcLean
Journeyman
Options

Oh dear, there's no chance my poor mother has any idea what the original password was, or that she has kept the receipt (given that she got the phone back in 2011). Also, the nearest Support Centre is 193 miles away in Glasgow.

Is there no other way to force a factory reset?

0 Likes
Solution
Pugs1957
Samsung Members Star ★
Options
Can you explain how you reset the device? Did you do it through recovery?
https://www.hardreset.info/devices/samsung/samsung-s5830i-galaxy-ace/
MagsMcLean
Journeyman
Options

I haven't managed to reset it; I'm desperately trying to reset it. And didn't know recovery was an option...

Followed your link, read the instructions, watched the videos, and gave it a go. Over and over again. Every time the ***** phone just restarted normally, with never a hint of recovery mode.

I really thought this was the answer....until it wasn't😢

0 Likes
Solution
MagsMcLean
Journeyman
Options

OMG it has actually worked!!! Thank you, thank you so much @Pugs1957 

Instructions said to hold down Home and Power buttons, which didn't do anything, but holding down Home, Volume Up and Power together...pure magic!

0 Likes