Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

My samsung J3 2017 keeps restarting

(Topic created on: 14/11/18 13:20)
Garfield77
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi i hope someone can help me with this problem. Since i updated the last software update on my phone, my phone keeps restarting whenever i use the internet or even on apps that worked perfectly fine before that update. Is there anyway i can solve this problem as its getting rather annoying now. It is also happening on my daughters phone and she has the same model phone as me

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Solution
Robim26
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I had asked for Italian support to also advise outside the country to avoid problems with games. Thanks to Mick-Angel, we have solved this way: in the applications go to 'game optimizing service', make a forced shutdown and uninstall updates of the application. Try it like this.

sorry my english with the translator :smiling-face:

Roberto

View solution in context

142 REPLIES 142
Taff47
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I upgraded to J3 2017 in late October this year. All fine including apps. November software upgrade completed and then the problem arose.  I contacted Samsung - not helpful. No idea if or when fix is to be issued. My provider were more helpful. New phone. Great until that upgraded itself. Back to square one. If Samsung monitor this website they should be aware that i am tempted to contact nation media for help. I am sure they will do something. 

0 Likes
Ziltranite
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I was planning to take the media route too, but it looks like we'll be getting a fix. If we don't get it soon it could still be a good idea though.

NoMatter
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

8 reboots in 30 mins.. that is not possible!! i'm so angry..

0 Likes
NoMatter
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

if i calculate the reboots from this morning, 5+8=13 reboots today...

0 Likes
Mike_Gaddass
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

For me it's only during games at pure random. Seriously, has the meaning of update been changed from up to date to "broken as hell?

0 Likes
Flaminga
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Glad it's not just my phone.  Sent in many error reports, making it impossible to play games.

0 Likes
NoMatter
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

rebooting more and more every day and it's getting more and more stressful .. I'm tired! the worst update .. 4-5 consecutive reboots.. 15-20 per day.. 

0 Likes
Ziltranite
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Noticed something. If my phone is gonna restart I get random freezing on Chrome where I'll  just be scrolling and the screen's image will get stuck but still register my inputs underneath. Then after a minute or so it goes black, then works fine without any reboots or anything before Chrome freezes again. It's as if the freezes are when the phone would restart if i was on my game. Anyway when this happens I know my phone is going to restart when I play, and this usually happens after my phone has been on for half an hour or so. Turning it off for a while resets the cycle however and makes it unlikely to restart when I turn it back on to play until after half an hour or so it starts to restart and the Chrome thing comes back simultaneously. Weird.

0 Likes
rpinto
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
Mine seem to be completely random. PUBG mobile seems to be the only app now that triggers the reboot. My guess: something to do with memory overflow when paying 3d games. Java garbage collector always has been a pain in the @SS, but the OS has to know how to deal with this without rebooting... J3 only has 2Gb of ram which isn't much for an android 8.0 (my oppinion).
0 Likes
Mike_Gaddass
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I do get crashes on internet and YouTube , just games if online. If it was the games themselves it would crash offline too. It's the update, not the ***** phone. 

0 Likes
Ziltranite
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@Mike_Gaddass wrote:

I do get crashes on internet and YouTube , just games if online. If it was the games themselves it would crash offline too. It's the update, not the ***** phone. 

You're right. But, I don't use YouTube or any non-game online apps that use as much of the RAM as my games, so I couldn't verify that though.

0 Likes
Ziltranite
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@rpinto wrote:
Mine seem to be completely random. PUBG mobile seems to be the only app now that triggers the reboot. My guess: something to do with memory overflow when paying 3d games. Java garbage collector always has been a pain in the @SS, but the OS has to know how to deal with this without rebooting... J3 only has 2Gb of ram which isn't much for an android 8.0 (my oppinion).

My guess would be online games are causing it.  I play 5 different games, here's what i think is and is not causing my crashes:

- Sonic the hedgehog (3 games): no crashes. Internet not used by these titles.

- Dragon ball z dokkan battle jp/Dragon ball legends: Crashes are frequent on loading. These titles require and are constantly using the internet. In the case of DBZDBJP, it sometimes crashes on the menu too. When these games are updating, however (And they do this a lot) there haven't been any crashes during the download.

As you said 2gb of RAM is totally insufficient. Most phones with average speed have 4gb. And the storage on these things is barely a quarter of of your average phone. 

0 Likes
rpinto
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I completely agree with you. I had this reboots with all sort of other (online) games too. Now i just have this one and it only happens when playing. Never experienced reboots when in facebook, instagram, spotify, youtube etc though

0 Likes
NoMatter
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

worked perfectly untill updates, so, the updates are the problem.. i want old versions back.......

AntS
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi all. I've flagged this one to our software team. (I've also seen and included your thread on this issue in that @Ziltranite.)  Me or one of the other Mods will update you on any news we receive from that.

In the meantime, when even a factory reset doesn't resolve something it's best to visit a Support Centre - or to get in touch with our Support teams to explore the best repair option available to you where you are.

Also, as Ziltranite has done, if you're able, then please do send error reports with log files and as much detail as you can via the Members app, as it'll help our software guys create an effective solution for you.

BM16
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Nice to see someone is looking into this. I have sent the crash/reboot-report via the Samsung Members app.

Kimmy89
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Im another one having the same problems as the others. To start with I thought it was my phone on the way out so I got a new J3 sent out to me on my insurance and low and behold as soon  as it updated yesterday, every time I tried loading up a game it has restarted. Really frustrated with the phone now. 

0 Likes
Harty2018
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I am sorry to see you have gone and got a new J3 on your insurance as I am sure this will have cost you in excess. It is always advised to check on forums like this or to contact Samsung to get infomation before you ever look at replacment. My phone started doing it on 09 November which is strange as I had updated weeks before this so the issue has been festerig until then. Also, some games will casue a restart if the device does not have enough RAM to play, as I found out today by contacing the devlopers of a certain Game App so also make sure that your device has enough Memory before installing. 

Best Wishes 

Stewart 

( I am not in anyway assoicated with Samsung or it's partners all posts are advice from my own expirences ONLY) 

Ziltranite
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Nice to know I'm not the only one with the game issue :winking-face:

0 Likes
dansiv
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

All four of our family phones are on the latest update and all crash when put on any kind of load, msinly when gaming (Pokémon Go) which has previously had no problems... According to the app there is an oreo update for the J3 out in December.  Will this fix the reboot problem?

0 Likes
Ziltranite
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

This issue you described here is EXACTLY what I've got, just different games. We're on to something here guys; this is definitely an Oreo problem.

As for the update it is debatable - other phones have not got the fix from an 8.1 update but some have.

0 Likes