Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

How to recover Samsung Account contacts on non-Samsung device?

(Topic created on: 02-07-2017 11:54 PM)
Haggisman
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi,

I need a way to either:

Log into my Samsung account on a Galaxy S6 Edge which has no IMEI number and I keep getting "Processing Failed" when I try to log in.

Restore my backed up contacts from my Samsung account to another Android phone

Access my backed up contacts from my Samsung account on my PC

Background:

My 18 month old Galaxy S6 Edge lost all mobile communication 2 weeks ago. After various troubleshooting, I contacted Samsung Support and had it sent off for repair. a few days later the nightmare started..

I received a quote for repair - £206.92 - which I thought was a bit odd, considering the phone was in warranty, and in perfect condition when I sent it off - having been in a case it's whole life. The reason given was physical damage, which was accompanied by a tiny out of focus low resolution image showing some dead pixels on the screen (which I was aware off and had raised as a further fault on the support request).

Needless to say I refused to pay this amount and requested the phone be returned.

After receiving the phone back, I made my way to the "nearest" Samsung support centre... 30 miles away. Unfortunately, as this was late in the evening, there were no engineers on site, and so nothing could be done at that point.

Fast forward to yesterday, the first opportunity to visit the Samsung support centre where there would (hopefully!) be someone who could help (another 60 mile/2 hour round trip).

Long story short, I wasted almost 5 hours in a shopping mall, trying to get my phone fixed under warranty, to be finally told that my phone had decided to erase it's own IMEI number and needed a new motherboard which WOULD be covered under warranty, but the damage to the screen WOULDN'T be, and I'd have to pay for a new screen if I wanted the warranty repair.

All sounds very illegal to me, but to be perfectly honest I was fed up by this point, and I have since bought a new (non Samsung) phone.

I have so far wasted a whole day, along with several hours here and there and~£30 in petrol and parking trying to sort this out, and to be absolutely honest, this is by far the worst "customer service" I have ever experienced. 

This is coming from someone who has had Samsung devices for the last ~8 years, and gets 3 £500+ flagship devices on contract every upgrade, along with a tablet or 2 every few years, and recommends the brand to friends, family and colleagues:

I will never buy another Samsung product, and will do my utmost to ensure no one I know does as well. So congratulations; you may have saved yourself ~£200 by avoiding performing an in-warranty repair, but you've lost ~£1000/year for the forseeable future. Certainly sounds like sustainable business model...

4 REPLIES 4
BandOfBrothers
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to how dead pixels can be attributed to physical damage thus voiding the Manufacturing Warranty ?

Can I ask was there no aesthetic damage to its housing i.e. From a drop or Water Damage ?

What was the Service Location outlet ? Carphone Warehouse maybe ?

I had an issue with my previous phone the Samsung Galaxy s7 edge which had the pink line issue. This was remedied within a few days by having its screen replaced under Manufacturing Warranty so was impressed by this turn around.

I have a Samsung Experience Store in my City Centre so prefer to go there.

If this was my situation I'd think about going elsewhere if practicable for a 2nd opinion and or contact Samsung direct.

Also depending on age of the phone look at this link from Which > http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

If the phone was supplied by your Mobile Network then as the 'seller' of the phone they too have a Duty of Care to uphold the Manufacturing Warranty if the issues fall within that remit.

In regards to your Samsung Account / data I would suggest looking at using a Google Search. I've looked but am unable to find something definitive.

Current Phone > Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

Haggisman
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

@BandOfBrothers wrote:
Hi,

I'm a bit confused as to how dead pixels can be attributed to physical damage thus voiding the Manufacturing Warranty ?

Well... that is the million dollar (or in this case £200) question that I would like the answer to as well...

They showed me a small imperfection under the screen, sort of like a bump under the LCD, which they claimed was caused by an impact of some kind. I was unable to get a photograph of it as it is barely visible and only in certain lighting, however if you do a Google image search for "galaxy s6 edge ripple under screen", it looks very similar to the first result - that was on a brand new device.

Can I ask was there no aesthetic damage to its housing i.e. From a drop or Water Damage ?

Nope, no water damage, and other than a little bit of very light scratching around the microphone hole at the top, charging port and headphone socket (where there were holes in the case to allow access) no damage whatsoever to the housing. There was some noticeable screen burn on the device, but other than that it was almost perfect.

What was the Service Location outlet ? Carphone Warehouse maybe ?

Nope; the issue was raised directly with Samsung on live chat, at which point a service ticket was raised and a collection arranged to take the phone to Samsung's approved UK service partner (Anovo). Following their refusal to repair the device under warranty, I took it to the "Samsung Experience Store" in Leicester - I certainly had an "experience"... it just wasn't a particularly pleasant one!!

Also depending on age of the phone look at this link from Which > http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

If the phone was supplied by your Mobile Network then as the 'seller' of the phone they too have a Duty of Care to uphold the Manufacturing Warranty if the issues fall within that remit.

I've considered taking it to Vodafone, but most likely they will just refer it to Samsung, at which point the whole debacle will start again - having now been without a phone for 2 weeks now, I've run out of patience (well, my girlfriend is as she's the one who uses it).

The phone appears to now be very dead, as I tried doing another full factory reset & installing the latest software through the Smart Switch PC software to try and get it to a state where I could log in to my Samsung account, and now it won't boot past the recovery menu, with a "dm-verity error"

0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Superuser II
Superuser II
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi @Haggisman

I too would certainly not be impressed either. 

I buy my phones sim free wether it's a Samsung or Apple iPhone so am paying in the vicinity of £600 +  

I buy in-store so I can open up the retail box and fire it up initially to check it's working and then go over it with a fine tooth comb ! The only negative about buying directly in-store with Samsung is that unless it's defective there is no cooling off period. 

If I'm buying into such an expensive product then I would certainly take this to the next level ie if the repair house is giving that report then escalate it up higher in Samsung's business. 

It all depends on how much time and effort one wants to invest into the situation. 

The Which Link holds some good information in what your avenues can be. 

Up to now I've received exemplary support for my s7 edge (now sold on) and my current s8. 

Current Phone > Samsung Z Fold³ 5G.

0 Likes
Haggisman
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Thanks for your replies :smiling-face:

At this point to be honest, I don't see the point in wasting more time, money and stress trying to get this sorted out.

For the £200 the repair would have cost me, I've bought my girlfriend a new phone to last temporarily until our contract upgrade is due.

I should be able to get ~£50-£100 on Ebay for the faulty phone, which will offset some of that cost.

I appreciate products develop faults and things go wrong for all companies, but IMO the true measure of a brand is how they respond when that happens, and so far Samsung have shown some of the worst customer service I've ever experienced. It's a shame because they make some very nice products, but when I have no faith that they'd provide support without using every possible excuse to try and weasel out of it, then I can't continue to give them my custom.

0 Likes