Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grey Horizontal Lines on Samsung Galaxy S8

(Topic created on: 11-10-2020 10:43 AM)
AmolSam_sungS8
Apprentice
Options

Phone is 2 years old now. Purchased from Ireland from UK. It worked fine, and one fine day, grey horizontal lines started coming on phone.

Display is good, touch sense is good, no issues. phone not dropped, no display broken. 

Enhanced mode which gets enabled in Youtube etc, works fine. no lines appears. 

Lines appear on low brightness screen, generally it is when Auto brightness is set. When i manually set brightness little high, lines disappears. 

it was like that for a month, then suddenly i saw i was behind samsung system updates. i have updated it. 

i was surprised, lines disappeared after updates.  i slept happily. 

When i got up in morning, starting playing with phone and after some time, lines appeared. 

i dont want to spend cost of 2 general smaprtphones to replace screen, which i am worried of if i visit repair store.

if its hardware issue, why it got fixed after updates and worked for some time. is there anything loose in phone?

pl help and suggest. 

Model SM-G950FD

One UI 1.0 Android ver 9.0.

Security software Sep2020 updated. 

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12
ChrisM
SuperStar
Options

Hi @AmolSam_sungS8 

Are you able to capture the lines on a screenshot or photo?

0 Likes
AmolSam_sungS8
Apprentice
Options

No. They don't appear on screenshot. 

AndrewL
Options

@AmolSam_sungS8: If you dial *#0*# into your telephone keypad and select Red, Green and Blue from the series on grey tiles, is the issue present in any of these tests? 

0 Likes
AmolSam_sungS8
Apprentice
Options

Thanks for reply. 

I tested it. They don't appear. Lines appear only in between 10% to 50% brightness range. 

Also sometimes I keep getting warning about moister in charging port. Which is not there actually. 

I did factory reset also, which didn't help. 

0 Likes
Devtiger
Apprentice
Options

samsung is not reposnding at all and with every software update these lines are getting worst , its happening with me also i would never buy a new samsung flagship next time 

0 Likes
Rodoz
Apprentice
Options

It happens with me too... I have a S10+ and when I change the brightness, It appears some grey lines on the screen... I think it's software issue but only Samsung can confirm...

The lines disappear only when I set the brightness to 100%+

0 Likes
LTootington
Journeyman
Options

I started getting the same thing just now.  When devices sleeps and then I unlock it, it reverts back to normal display but then after a couple of seconds the grey lines appear.  I haven't changed any settings and it happened right in front of my eyes, while I was browsing the internet.  My phone is also 3 years old but I haven't dropped it - it just happened out of nowhere.  When I take screenshot the lines don't show.

Last system update 23rd of April 2022, system is up to date.  I haven't installed anything recently.

0 Likes
LTootington
Journeyman
Options

I tried this on my phone and the issue isn't there.  It's also not there when I unlock it, but then lights show up and screen gets lighter, blacks become grey.  Is this an issue with Samsung themes?  (I haven't changed mine, in fact I don't even think I have one)

0 Likes
LTootington
Journeyman
Options

Same here, I took screenshot and lines don't show.  Only on the screen.

0 Likes