Original topic:

Galaxy Xcover 4 - Xcover Key and flashlight with screen off

(Topic created on: 09/01/21 13:29)
Spelenza
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Hello, I'm interested in buying this phone and I have some questions:

1. I had a Xcover 2 and I really loved the ability to turn on the flashlight by holding VOLUME-UP  when screen is off, at any moment. Does the Xcover 4 have this function too? I'm not referring to the Xcover key.
    • If not: can someone please try this app by XDA Developers and tell me if it works? It unlocks the volume-up-flashlight function that is still hidden in every Samsung smartphone, but is disabled by default. It doesn't require the phone to be rooted. I installed it on a A5 (2017) and it works perfectly, but on a S7 Active it only works shortly after locking the phone.
  2. I read on some reviews that the Xcover Key only works when the screen is on and this makes it less useful. Has this changed now, after one year of updates?
0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
AndrewL
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi @Spelenza

I've had a look into this and can't find any information about assigning the Volume Key to the flashlight on the XCover4. I can't recommend third party applications therefore I'd suggest creating a shortcut to the Flashlight app on your Home screen for ease of access as a workaround.

Spelenza
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi AndrewL,

I'd like to quickly turn on the torchlight when the screen is off, like on the Galaxy Xcover 2. A shortcut on the home screen doesn't help and could be done on any smartphone, but thank you anyway.

The app I suggested is extremely light (272 KB) and only changes a setting that is hidden. It doesn't do anything else and it's safe. I already tried it on many smartphones and it only works with Samsung; that's because it enables a function that only Samsung phones have.

AndrewL
Options
Other Smartphones
No problem, @Spelenza. If the app is purchased from the Google Play Store or Galaxy Apps then it should be fine to install. I'd suggest checking the download figures and user reviews before you proceed to help you make an informed decision. ^AL

Stenr
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
The XCOVER key works when screen is off on the XCOVER4 to turn the light on. (=One touch turn on) On XCOVER3 the screen must be on (means two touches to turn on - first the power on key, then the XCOVER key.)
0 Likes
Easyrider
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

The one touch does not work now after my xcover 4s was updated yesterday...really annoying as thats why I got the phone .

.like having a normal torch on you always...I wish I never updated it now...Samsung/android please remedy this..almost tempted to return phone...

pjzzz
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I see this issue still isn't fixed and I bought my Xcover 4S yesterday and will return it next week because of multiple bugs.

My company was thinking buying 40 or so Xcover 4S phones but since I'm testing the phone and found annoying bugs they probably won't buy them. All the employee's in our company  use phones in harsh environments and the Xcover 4S looked promising.

EDIT: I found out there's a setting somewhere hidden in the configuration options that allows you to set the quick access button to be functional from the lock-screen.😏

0 Likes