Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Galaxy S8 (SM-G950F) running hot and high battery drain

(Topic created on: 05-09-2022 07:01 PM)
Shaamaan
Journeyman
Options

My S8 is acting up. It's running hotter than usual and during that it'll drain battery really fast - I'm not doing anything strange with it either. Every now and again I'll get the notification about the phone requiring a restart because of a system process eating up too much CPU (no information on which process that would be however). The restarts don't help. I've even tried safe mode (the one where only system apps are permitted) and got that warning there too!

Sometimes... it gets better. The phone isn't running hot 100% of the time but I can't link it being hot to any specific action. Realistically I'm not doing much with my phone - pretty generic stuff, really: calls, texts, some internet browsing or YouTube watching, some authenticator apps. The most advanced thing I have on it is a VPN for work and a remote desktop app (recently used very sparingly). But, well, since the CPU issue happened even in safe mode - I don't think this is app related.

I've tried making a report via Samsung Members but all I got was a generic response that my logs will be forwarded to some engineering team and that's it - no more communications while my phone's still running hot.

Admittedly - I haven't tried a phone reset yet. Frankly - I'd rather not do that. I've got those authenticator apps I'd need to back up, as well as quite a bit of photos and videos to back up (I keep things on the phone, not in the cloud), so it'd be a fairly lengthy process to get everything backed up and restored. I'd rather try everything else before I get there.

Any ideas what I can do? The most annoying thing is that phone "maintenance" message... which doesn't tell me which process is eating up CPU. 😕 That, and Samsung support via the Members app being useless (while a mod on an old thread about a similar issue said reporting via Members is exactly what we should do: https://eu.community.samsung.com/t5/galaxy-s22-series/overloading-the-system-cpu/td-p/4885636).

Go to solution
14 REPLIES 14
SuperEleven
First Poster
Options
Buy a new phone. Modern phones are not designed to last longer than 5 years to be honest .
0 Likes
Solution
Shaamaan
Journeyman
Options

To all the smarty-pants out there who suggest purchasing a new phone... I did what I didn't want to do and reinstalled the OS and cleared the user partition and the phone's running fine now.

I did have a field-day getting all my data back into various apps (some of which is now lost)... Really annoyed by Samsung / support since a non-rooted phone should NOT have this issue or at least it should be possible to fix without a phone-wipe.

To anyone else who ever has the same issue and finds this thread - I'm sorry but I don't have a better solution other than to wipe the phone clean.

0 Likes
Rabbit82
Student
Options

Been getting the same for several months now on my S8+. I am very suspect of the One UI Home since this seems to be taking the most power from the battery continually. Cannot seem to get any further than that. Have recently noticed a rapid drain on the battery and recharging twice a day without any excessive use of the unit. Have succumbed to setting an auto restart of the phone every morning. Now seriously considering giving up and going back to an iphone.

0 Likes
Shaamaan
Journeyman
Options

@Rabbit82 wrote:

Been getting the same for several months now on my S8+. I am very suspect of the One UI Home since this seems to be taking the most power from the battery continually. Cannot seem to get any further than that. Have recently noticed a rapid drain on the battery and recharging twice a day without any excessive use of the unit. Have succumbed to setting an auto restart of the phone every morning. Now seriously considering giving up and going back to an iphone.

Just to confirm if you have something similar - did you notice the phone running notably hotter?

If the phone's running cool (i.e. there's no real notable high-CPU drain) then your battery may simply be running old. If it IS warmer, however, then it might be worth thinking doing a stock reinstall. 😕 I found that in my case restarting the phone didn't really help with the power draw.

BTW: If you have another Samsung phone lying around (even an older one) you can use the backup / restore of Smart Switch. Note - it's NOT very smart, and it's still worth backing up anything you can manually as well. Contacts, SMS and photos are easy. But other app data is almost always a lot of pain.

Also, just to put this out there - my phone's been running perfectly fine since I reinstalled the firmware. Battery holds about as well as I'd expect (will easily last over a day without a charge and some moderate use).

0 Likes
Rabbit82
Student
Options

Many thanks for your comments. Yes, it does occasionally get quite warm, so obviously something is occurring but am unable to understand why. Once I get around to doing a full backup I guess a reinstall is the best option, although very reluctant at this time. Thanks again

0 Likes