Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Galaxy Note 5 in the UK SM-N920A update it to Android 6 Marshmallow?

(Topic created on: 04-01-2017 11:37 AM)
Johnrichs
First Poster
Options

Hi I have a Galaxy Note 5 in the UK, SM-N920A is there anyway for me to update it to Android 6 Marshmallow? It won't do it automatically.

Thanks

John

0 Likes
23 REPLIES 23
Eltas
Pathfinder
Options
You can manually flash the ROM onto the phone, it doesn't void the warranty, but the phone is not being sold in the UK so I am not sure if it would still count here.
Also, there doesn't appear to be an SM-N920A ROM out there, there is a SM-N9200,920F, 920C,920I,9208,920G,920P,L,K,V,T and W8. Those are all the Note5 model numbers. If you are sure that the model number is 920A it is most likely not an official ROM. A's usually mean AT&T but I cannot find any manual download for that, which is unusual.
If you do find that model number's ROM, use a programme called Odin v3.9 or later on your desktop to manually flash the ROM onto your phone.
0 Likes
Johnrichs
First Poster
Options

Hi, Thanks a lot for that, it is an unlocked AT&T phone which is why I think it won't update automatically, I was hoping for an easier way but thanks anyway.

Is there any danger of ruining the phone if you Use Odin to flash a new Rom onto the phone and get it wroing? I have downloaded Odin and the appropriate ROM I'm just being wary.

Thanks

John

0 Likes
Eltas
Pathfinder
Options
Yes, unfortunately it could brick your phone which is why this stuff normally is automated and done OTA. But if the model number in the phone settings matches with the firmware you have downloaded there should not be an issue. make sure Re-partition is NOT ticked when flashing a firmware update. Unzip the file and it should be around a Gig or more in size. it is usually a .md5 file that goes in the AP section.
Reboot your phone into download mode, which means turning it off and turning it on by pressing and holding the power button, home and the volume down button together.
0 Likes
AntS
Options

Hi John. :robothappy:

Unsure what you've already tried, but firmware updates are available through Samsung Smart Switch. The US version is available here.

0 Likes
Johnrichs
First Poster
Options

Hi Thanks for your reply, I have Smart Switch installed on the phone, how do I use it to upgrade the firmware?

Thanks

John

0 Likes
Eltas
Pathfinder
Options
Install the Desktop app from the US website and then connect your phone via USB cable, open the desktop app and it should automatically start downloading the latest firmware for your phone, if there is one available.
Once downloaded it will push the firmware update to your phone through the cable connection
0 Likes
Johnrichs
First Poster
Options

Hi, I am doing that now, so far it is saying 'Your device is up to date: PB2(ATT)

Model Name SM-N920A

Android version 5.1.1

Thanks for your help so far

John

0 Likes
Eltas
Pathfinder
Options
I really am struggling to find any AT&T firmware anywhere online, usually Sammobile and Youmobile have all the firmwares but I just cant find anything. I'll look into it further
0 Likes
Johnrichs
First Poster
Options

Hi Thanks for that, I think AT&T restrict the update to AT&T current customers only. I have an unlocked AT&T phone but it looks to the AT&T server for updates.

Thanks

John

0 Likes