Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Failed to play video an unknown error has occured

(Topic created on: 10/11/18 20:50)
Bendover007
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

So i took a video on my brand new s8 last night and within 5 mins its saying failed to play video please help me fix this an prevent it from happening again...

16 REPLIES 16
BandOfBrothers
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Other Smartphones

That's not good @Bendover007

Is the stock Samsung player working now ?

If not could you try closing the App down and soft rebooting the phone by turning it Off and On. 

Perhaps try a 3rd party player app in the PlayStore. 

If this continues then before going back to who supplied it to you please try looking for any relevant App updates in PlayStore. Try clearing the system cache first and then create a back up and factory reset as a last resort. 

If it continues after that then if this was my situation I'd be looking at the Returns period to have it swapped out. If I was over the Returns period then I'd visit my local Samsung Experience Store or Samsung Service Location. 

Current Phone ~

Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G SM-N9860_256Gb SnapDragon 865+

Samsung One Ui 3.1/ Android 11.

Jeff21
Options
Other Smartphones

I have been using Samsung phones for the last 10 years but this video issue (unknown error has occurred) is driving me nuts.

The only reason i have used Samsungs this long is because their phones have been so user friendly. Now that they are starting to complicate things ...am done.

gamers123
Observer
Options
Other Smartphones

why my youtube  i don't see my video

0 Likes
gamers123
Observer
Options
Other Smartphones

why i dont see video on my youtube

0 Likes
moeweb2u
Options
Other Smartphones

Has anyone figured out a solution to this.. my video doesnt work on internal storage for some reason and external usb drive but it works on an sd card.  When i copy the file to my PC it works fine there as well.  Not sure what is going on but i seems to have tried everything, clearing/wiping cache, copying the file back and forth from PC to internal storage, clearing the cache from Storage Manager, Media Manager.  ive tried installing vlc player on my s8 and still the video doesnt play.  I have also tried to medi rescan and mp4fix and nothing.  Mp4fix tells me its an invalid video, No video data found in the selected file. The file cant be fixed. The file might be empty, severelay damaged or in a format other than mp4.  Which makes no sence since I copy the file to my PC its able to read the video.  So can someone tell me whats going on here.. thanks 

ElAnton
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I get the same error on my S7 but only when playing from the SD card. The one thing I tried was to play the video without the headphones and haven't had it fail yet. This could mean that the headphones/cord are acting as an antenna and feeding noise into the motherboard, such as the connectors where the SD card plugs in. Would this be a design flaw Samsung or is it just a good number of units that are affected?

0 Likes
Jaztin
Options
Other Smartphones

I am using the Galaxy S9 Plus and I am also experiencing this error wherein I'm unable to play my videos on my internal storage. CSR from Samsung told me that it may be an issue with the latest software update. Oh Samsung, if you are reading this, fix this.

0 Likes
ElAnton
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Ok, these might be good news for some of you: For whatever reasons, hardware or software, there are apps out there that seem to skip this type of error. For me the one that worked all the time was: HD Video Player for Android ( the one with the red icon and play button in the middle, that says HD Video Player 2018 ). I don't like the confusing adds at startup, and don't know why I have to give them my phone contacts, but it works for all videos I had with the "Failed to play video" error. I just use this app for those bad ones.

0 Likes
Bandu
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

@Bendover007 wrote:

So i took a video on my brand new j2 prime  last week and within 5 mins its saying failed to play video please help me fix this an prevent it from happening again...

0 Likes