Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dear Samsung - A Reminder about the S23 and Micro-SD

(Topic created on: 27-12-2022 05:23 AM)
DavidMRawlins
Apprentice
Options

Hey Samsung,

Just wanted to remind you that there's a lot of us that love the micro-SD card in our phones and haven't upgraded for a reason. If you put a micro-SD in the S23 then I'll happily upgrade. (Either that or make the S23 512GB/1TB a standard storage size that I don't have to pay an arm and a leg for).

If you don't... I'll just have to start looking for a new phone to upgrade to that does.

(1)
80 REPLIES 80
Sddontbeapple
First Poster
Options

I am never going to upgrade from the s20. Everything then has been a downgrade and I am really upset that my favorite company that had its own identity just became apple. I know Apple knows how to make money. And it's tempting to do the same. But I mean... Now, your just Apple with android os. That's, not why I got Samsung in the first place. Please bring back the sd card. 

Jurgen_Smart
Apprentice
Options

The reason for wanting SD card support is local backup support.
If the os partition on my phone crashes for any possible reason, I would like to have te possibility to just pop my sd card into my computer and still being able to access the most important data.
Or to just pop the sd card into a backup phone.

Jurgen_Smart
Apprentice
Options

I'm currently upgrading from an S7 to an S20.
If the S22 or S23 would have had SD card support then I would have bought one of those instead.

"Take note Samsung"

GeorgeGalaxy
Student
Options

5 reasons Why external Storage is important:
1- SECURITY - You can't trust the cloud. Google already suspended accounts because some people uploaded their own nudes. Ai can put a red flag and suspend your account. That means no privacy. Not to mention Data leak of personal files.

2- SPEED - They can say 5G is fast, but if you use your phone for video, for example, the files can be very big and it takes time to upload. Then you are in an area with bad reception or your battery dies and you need the files. What do you do?

3- PROFESSIONAL PHOTO/VIDEO - If you want to make tons of pictures and videos you'll need a lot of storage. A phone with 128GB is useless for that.

4- ACCIDENTS - We don't want to break the phone, but imagine that you make a lot of great videos in a place with bad reception, your data didn't have enough time to upload to the cloud and Bammm...your phone breaks. You can't access your images right away and that lead us to a nightmare that is:

5- DATA LEAK - Your phone is damaged with a lot of pictures or videos that you don't want others to see. You know what I mean. Now you have to trust some random technician to fix your phone and hope that this person do not leak your data.

Solution: Now they sell some Pen drives that you can plug in your USB-C to download the pictures. It works, but again, if your battery is dead or if your phone is damaged, you can't back up your data.

Yes, samsung, there are so many things you can do to trash iphone. Bring external storage back. Terminate this stupid curved screen and think about a removal battery. At least put a battery in a position that is very easy to replace. People will love you more than apple.

Jurgen_Smart
Apprentice
Options

Totally true,

I agree with all your points
SD card storage is essential.
The curved screens also aggravate me as it is fragile and harder to replace.
The glass back should also be replaced with a more durable material.
(I don't mind bringing back the plastic back with easy access to the battery).

Easy serviceability and reparability should be the hallmarks of a flagship phone.

"Take note Samsung"

SimonNexus
Student
Options
The main reason for not upgrading to the s22 was the lack of sd card support. I'm hanging on to see if the s23 plus has it, if not then I'm going elsewhere, sorry but it's just how I feel. Galaxy phones used to be the best you could buy, recently there's not alot of difference so removing a feature just seems to defeat the issue
Brindisi
First Poster
Options

I bought and set up the S22U 512gb as soon as it came out and then realized my trusty old S10+ with a 512gb μSD is far superior overall despite the 22U's better cameras and screen speed. Loading a fixed archive of files onto a built-in memory changes all the files' dates and renders it an un-navigable mess. And actually using 120hz at full res (which is basically the same res as the old S10+ screen) sucked battery faster than the S10+.  Spent 2 weeks transferring and setting up and then reversing everything and sending the 22U back.  I'm buying another S10+ now

TKY-SP
First Poster
Options

Same here.

Not going to replace my Note20 Ultra if S23 Ultra doesn't have a SD card slot.

MB1234
First Poster
Options

I agree. It doesn’t have to be either/or. They can easily do both. I don’t need a company or a bunch of company defending fanboys telling me what I need in a device. I believe in as much redundancy as possible. Relying solely on the cloud, or a phone’s storage sucks. Then you still offer the SD slot on midrange devices? Premium flagships should have EVERYTHING including an SD card slot, headphone jack,ir blasters, etc. 

ronniemehlis
Apprentice
Options
I will have to stick to my galaxy note 20 ultra with 512 gb plus 1 tb micro sd. And both a very well filled. Actually considering the option to actually film in 4k (which i also use my phone for on combination withseveral other 4k devices) i even expected at least 2 options/trays for external memory. 1.5 Tb is just nothing anymore. So completely wrong decision to eliminate cards. So since its not likely for the s23 to have a tray I can only hope for the 24 next year. Otherwise any other mobile is obsolete. My new Samsung tablet 14inch has got a slot. And i am looking forward to even put extra 1 tb to with memory stick