Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Custom dictionary lost since update

(Topic created on: 10-04-2017 09:16 PM)
FunkCityBand
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi guys. Can somebody please help me... since the most recent Samsung S7 update March 2017 I have lost all customdictionary and shortcut input on my phone. The option to Add them has also disappeared! does anyone know a workaround or how to do it?  

I.e I had a shortcut '111' for my phone number or '222' for my email address to save me having to type it out multiple times daily and possibly spell it wrong in the process. 

Normally it's settings>General management> language and input and there is an option for 'personal dictionary'  This has completely disappeared since updating. I can't find it anywhere on the phone. Any ideas? Or a work around. 

Thanks in advance. 

Craig of Funk city band, London. 

0 Likes

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Solution
KellyM
Options
Other Smartphones

Hey @FunkCityBand,

Give this a try: Settings > General Management > Language And Input > Virtual Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Predictive Text > Text Shortcuts.

:smileyhappy:

View solution in context

Solution
FunkCityBand
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

hi Kelly, 

that is exactly what i was looking for! You are my HERO. thanks. ive been searching online for days and just couldn't find it. I even called Samsung support and they didnt know either. The whole world should kiss you on the face! 

Many thanks. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
13 REPLIES 13
Solution
KellyM
Options
Other Smartphones

Hey @FunkCityBand,

Give this a try: Settings > General Management > Language And Input > Virtual Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Predictive Text > Text Shortcuts.

:smileyhappy:

View solution in context

Solution
FunkCityBand
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

hi Kelly, 

that is exactly what i was looking for! You are my HERO. thanks. ive been searching online for days and just couldn't find it. I even called Samsung support and they didnt know either. The whole world should kiss you on the face! 

Many thanks. 

View solution in context

0 Likes
Louise6
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
Worked for me too. Thanks!!
0 Likes
chiffonade
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

So basically why don't you just say that there IS NO LONGER a personal/custom dictionary?  Why on God's green earth would that valuable tool be eliminated?  I have to type every hashtag from scratch now and cannot enter names in the list so they type correctly.  Ridiculous.

AndrewL
Options
Other Smartphones
@chiffonade: When entering Text Shortcuts, you need to make sure that the shortcut is different to the expanded phrase. For names, just enter the first few letters of the name in the shortcut and the full name in the expanded phrase, then it will appear in the predictive text options while you're typing.
0 Likes
Pigdogboy
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

And ko lznnsj gdxt eothsr?? 

0 Likes
Pigdogboy
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

That says "and no predictive text either" no takes my bad hands minutes to write.....

Samsunb update has failed me

chiffonade
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

When I typed a "#" a list of my most frequently used hashes would show up in predictive text.  I'm not looking for a "shortcut" and I am not quite sure what you mean by that.  These things should be showing up in predictive text based on the frequency of use.  Nothing less is acceptable.

Secondly, names are not always spelled the traditional way.  For instance, "Giana" is correct but I cannot save it into the dictionary and predictive text keeps typing "Gianna" or worse, "Giada."  

A custom, editable dictionary is necessary and I'd like to meet the college graduate who thought otherwise.

chiffonade
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

You should be able to delete a reply.  If that were possible, you wouldn't be reading this one.

0 Likes