Original topic:

Charging to 80%

(Topic created on: 29/01/21 20:52)
henkes_03
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi,

I have read a lot about batteries and it's very clear to me that you should not charge to more than 80%. Do someone know if Samsung is going to implement a feature/setting to only charge to 80% in the upcoming Android 9.0? I don't want to root my Galaxy S8 to set a charge limit.

33 REPLIES 33
benjedi420vt
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

In response to ChgoCPA:

This is simply not true!!

You need to stop saying things like...THERE IS NO HARM IN DOING SO...

YES, THERE IS HARM...to the longevity of your battery (and therefore your) phones life. There (should be) no danger of starting a fire or something like that but yes, it will reduce your batteries life span.

You really should AVOID USING YOUR PHONE WHILE IT IS CHARGING AND OVER 80%! You really should only charge your phone to 80% UNLESS you are going to "unplug" it and immediately go out and will not be charging it again until it has used much of it's charge, in other words when you need as much charge as possible to use your phone unplugged during the day.

With that said, GO AHEAD AND USE IT ALL DAY WHEN IT'S CHARGING when it is between 20-30% and 80%. Try not to use it when it is charging and below 20-30 and over 80% unless you have to.

There is no "harm" to you personally, just you'll kill your battery faster.

The reason for over 80% is because the charger/phone uses much higher voltage to get than last 20% and it doesn't get absorbed as quickly so there is an abundance of charge floating around that turns to HEAT. Same thing under 20-30%, the battery absorbs a charge much much easier and therefore HEATS up. HEAT kills batteries, cold isn't good either as it makes it lose charge so you'll have to charge it up again but that's more of a cycle thing. But HEAT KILLS BATTERIES...PERIOD!!

0 Likes
ChgoCPA
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

You are of course, correct.  It is not good for the battery.  I do see how my words could be interpreted that way if you do not read the entire conversation and I will go back and edit it now.  By the way, I did not invent the internet either. 🙂 (just in case I said something to that effect).

It is exactly for the reason you state that I even started talking in this conversation, because I wanted to let anyone at Samsung who MIGHT be monitoring this conversation, know that there should be an option to set that # at 80%.  Already their electronics are set at 100% and I would think that the only difference would be a minor tweak of the voltage reading that triggers the switch from charging to only supplying power to the phone, bypassing the battery (except a trickle charge).

I only meant to explain to Chargie that the electronics are already in the phone, and Samsung lets you (and therefore THEY seem to think that there is no harm done) use your phone while it is plugged in and at 100%.  Chargie is saying it is too complicated and therefore you should buy  their rather expensive Chargie (after shipping charges).  They could be right, but I am not yet convinced of it.  In theory, I do like their suggestion of setting the Chargie to 50% +/- 3%, but the fear of needing to leave the house unexpectedly for the rest of the day with your phone charged only to 47% is a little unsettling to me and I cannot bring myself to do it.

Fortunately I do have a Chargie, but I do not take it with me everywhere.  When you do not have a Chargie handy, it is a huge hassle to constantly unplug and plug it in again and again all day long if you are using it as a HotSpot for multiple people, or streaming movies all day to a TV set while on vacation for your family to watch or if you are using it as a Desktop device in DeX mode for hours at a time.  So, you let it charge to 100% and leave it plugged in and still use it.  I am not going to go THAT far out of my way just to make my phone last a few months longer.

But a Chargie is not an ideal solution by any means whatsoever.  It is still constantly unplugging and plugging in your phone, constantly charging and discharging, instead of charging to 80% and then using a trickle charge to keep it at 80%.  The difference being your phone is now running off the outlet instead of the battery for most of the day.  I would think a small change like that would easily double the life of the phone using the same battery and exact same usage.  It is my understanding that a Tesla does exactly that. You pick whatever top charge % you want and the electronics in the car still work while it is plugged in, consuming electricity from the wall instead of the battery, without the battery continuing to charge.

The Chargie is a physically cumbersome device to use.  If it were built into the phone, I would get better compliance from my family with regards to only charging to 80% the majority of the time and 100% only if you are going to be out and about all day long.

0 Likes
PortlandBill
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
Old thread but for anyone still interested Samsung have introduced a "Battery Protect" feature which limits charging to 85% when turned on. It doesn't actually work on my Tab S6 Lite, but it's there, complete with working description. Running android 11 and UI 3.0
0 Likes
PhrostByte
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I do not know if I should be complaining to Google (as it is Android) or Samsung, but with the settings menu growing into the thousands of settings, is it really too much to ask that one of them be the ability to set the maximum battery charge percentage without having to resort to rooting the phone or buying an external device to limit charging?  Seems like being able to set the charging limit is a small add, if nothing else to dissuade those conspiracy theorists that phone manufactures are forcing the early demise of their devices in order to sell more phones.  Of course, I guess it could be that the conspiracy is real???

0 Likes