Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Original topic:

Change the stacked clock on the lock screen on Samsung Galaxy S8 to look like a normal clock

(Topic created on: 15-02-2018 03:12 PM)
Silly
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I have been searching for a solution to this problem for over half a year now, and cannot fathom that Samsung still have not issued a fix for this issue. Particularly based on how many others seems to be looking for a way to change this. 

On the LOCK screen (NOT the home screen, and NOT the Always On Display), the clock has been stacked in stead of displayed on one line like normal time keeping devices. I am looking for a fix that:

-Is NOT using Always On Display

-Does NOT require a change of theme (they always revert back anyway)

-Is usable with a custom lock screen wallpaper (such as a picture from my gallery)

-Does not require a notification to always be on display

Does anyone have any suggestions? Has anyone else complained directly to Samsung? Has anyone heard anything back from them? Are there any updates planned to fix this?

Please, I'm about to throw my phone away. I left Apple for annoying little things like this, everything I heard about Android devices suggested they would be a lot more flexible and customizable than this.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Silly
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

If you have updated to the latest update, the Oreo update, you CAN now finally change it. Go to settings > Lock screen and security > Clock and FaceWidgets (scroll down to find this), > Clok style.

And yes, this now affects the lock screen clock, NOT just the always on display clock. You don't need to change the theme, and it doesn't disappear when you turn off and on or anything. Good fix, all sorted.

View solution in context

24 REPLIES 24
John4Oh
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Other Smartphones

@Silly

Have you tried a lock screen app that you can customise with your own wallpaper? And has the time on the lock screen in the one line, try this - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.tdbpro.lockscreenforgalaxys8

Silly
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Thank you! I've installed it, and am trying it out now. If it works, I'll love you long time, but I have enough experience with this now to bide my time and wait to see if it actually works in the long run.

It still begs the question why Samsung has not done anything about something that, to me, seems like a fairly simple fix.

I'll try this out for some days or a week, and let you know if this actually work longterm. :smiling-face:

John4Oh
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Other Smartphones

@Silly

You're welcome and definitely see if it suits your needs, and I know it annoys alot of Samsung users, personally I don't mind it split, but there's nothing in the settings to change the time layout on the lock screen, there is a few themes that apparently do work but I thought this would've been a better idea.

Silly
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I have tried quite a few different themes, and yes they work. But only for a short while, and then the clock reverts. It is also a pet peeve of mine that whenever anyone brings up this issue, someone ALWAYS replies with a 'fix' that involves turning on the AOD screen. I prefer my phone to be dark when it is not in use.

Thank you so much John, I will keep you updated on how this works for me.

0 Likes
John4Oh
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Other Smartphones

@Silly

Yes I noticed members confusing the AOD and the lock screen when I was reading up on this, with the app I gave the link to it's like an extra login to your phone but it brings the lock screen time in one line advantage and gives you the fancy Apple slide to unlock feature. But if that doesn't work out for you try the 'sd black' theme ( sorry if you've tried it) because that gives the time on one line also and you can change the picture on the lock screen and the home screen with that theme, although the apps look a little weird.

John4Oh
Superuser I
Superuser I
Options
Other Smartphones

@Silly  

After playing around with this app myself for a little I noticed a little trick, you'll notice when you 'slide to unlock' it brings you to the Samsung lock screen where the 2 lined clock is that's annoying you, simply hold your finger on your fingerprint scanner before you slide to unlock and it'll bypass the Samsung lock screen and straight to the home screen, goodbye Samsung lock screen clock when you slide to unlock, give it a shot and see if it works for you. 

0 Likes
phk
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

The Oreo version allows you to easily change the clock on the lock screen (and, separately the AOD). You can even change the colour.Lock screen clock settings.Lock screen clock settings.

Silly
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Never even knew about that. A quick google search has my hopes soaring. If I understand it right, this is exactly what I've been waiting for. Ideally you'd want this feature without any added apps. However, a 7 hour old post is now saying the update has been halted by Samsung due to bugs. Hopefully they'll roll it out within the next few weeks. So I'll get a chance to try out John's fix first. 

Thank you so much friends. :smiling-face:

0 Likes
Silly
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Thank you John. After having had the weekend to try it out, I've found a few niggles, so I'm sticking with the stupid stacked clock for now. The main issue is that you cannot see notifications on the downloaded lockscreen. Also, there is a white strip of nothing at the top of the screen which is quite unseemly on a black phone. (But would blend in lovely on a white phone.) But it is definitely a fix that works for the clock. I'm going to hold my breath for the Oreo update mentioned below.