Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 10:47 PM)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
Halonkira
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@WonderToy wrote:

Start Googling. There are Oreo Standby drain problem on S7, S8, S9, OnePlus devices, Sony devices etc. Grow up and stop whining. We need solution, not a bunch of crybabies crying over Samsung.

@dj1891 Name a single "non-dirty" company. I dare you. 

No one has a similar bug on the Oneplus 5, 5T, 6 or Xiaomi devices groups where I am. Groups with houndreds of people. But in the S7's group the vast majority has this bug! We need a solution, not a bunch of people saying others must learn to use Google!

Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

So if you're okay with them bricking all these devices that we paid $700-$800 for, why are you on this thread if it's not to help find a solution? I googled and found this thread and posted my experience to help others. Everyone on here has valid complaints- not like we broke a nail or can't get the latest $1000 phone in the color we want, lol. Oh and just because "everyone does it" doesn't make it okay. 

KornelB
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@WonderToy wrote:

Start Googling. There are Oreo Standby drain problem on S7, S8, S9, OnePlus devices, Sony devices etc. Grow up and stop whining. We need solution, not a bunch of crybabies crying over Samsung.

@WonderToy do you have an S7 or an S7 Edge that's having this issue ? If not, than please go to the sites that suits you're phone maker and model ! 

WonderToy
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Jep. S7 with standby drain. And im searching for a good solution. Im not just whining.

0 Likes
Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Still not a solution you griping abt people stating the fact that we all have same problem. I, for one, am glad to have found this thread/community and it makes me feel better to know I'm not alone in having this problem. And if we work together, maybe we can come up with something.
0 Likes
povudlo
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

My Nokia 6230i hold up for 10 years. I hate myself for making decision to go samsung path and buying galaxy s7 2 years ago. Hate because I payed money to SCAMsung. Lessons learned.

BTW, their du%b support keeps responding that it is not a massive defect (pretending it is not) and refuses to accept error report in attempt to fix a bug (besides a standard: reset your phone, visit service etc). What an argument, yeah? Although I did share a link to this thread. They don't care.

Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@povudlo- same here! Had my Nokia forever. And then when I got rid of that one, I got another one exactly like it years later and lasted me for another few years til I got the Samsung slider with the keyboard that made it easier to text. SCAMsung- love it! So glad I found yall.

0 Likes
KornelB
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@ovidiul wrote:

Then why only happened on s7 and why Samsung do nothing ?

Samsung Romania did not even bother to answer me. 

@ovidiul I'm from Romania too, look you have to contact the CEO, not the regular average ***** that's working for Samsung's customer service. Do that !... although they won't help you too much but at least they will be more aware of their sitty update problem !

And by the way this update is about s7 and s7 Edge !

Pichulec
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Someone ask about coming back to nougat. There is no knox trip doing this. My knox is already tripped, but only because i was playing with twrp. It is safe to go back to nougat as long as it is version of fw including bootloader U2 (v2) 

0 Likes
Joakim
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@WonderToy wrote:

Show me screenshots, cause I doubt it is so widespread problem as in S7 case. Now my cell standby drains 50% of battery!!!

0 Likes