Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 09:47 PM)
James0071
Explorer
Options

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
DiegoPereira
Apprentice
Options

and now its another day with a little bit camera use (only photos).

I think my total screen time will be between 5:30 and 6:30 screen time with "normal" day usses.

For me its ok, and yours s7 edge how they're performing?

My s7 edge have 8 months (I bought him brand new in march 2018)

Screenshot_20181129-192725_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
D3an
Explorer
Options

@DiegoPereira wrote:

I think my total screen time will be between 5:30 and 6:30 screen time with "normal" day usses.

0 Likes
D3an
Explorer
Options

@D3an wrote:

@DiegoPereira wrote:

Screenshot_20181207-004308_Settings[2532].jpg

You are not helping your battery taking it that low

D3an
Explorer
Options

Screenshot_20181220-164532_Settings[2783].jpg

So just to give an update on using this custom Rom by Civz from xda. Don't really need to say much about it. As you can see from the picture ive got nothing to complain about :smiling-face:

0 Likes
James0071a
First Poster
Options
It looks very good. My phone has just become a brick after recording some video yesterday and crashing catastropically. If I can resurrect it this is what I will use instead of the stock rubbish.
0 Likes
D3an
Explorer
Options

@James0071a wrote:
It looks very good. My phone has just become a brick after recording some video yesterday and crashing catastropically. If I can resurrect it this is what I will use instead of the stock rubbish.

Try this https://forum.xda-developers.com/s7-edge/development/civz-g935f-multi-csc-rom-t3616815

I cant fault this Rom at all
0 Likes
fujica
First Poster
Options

I own a Motorola phone and have the exact same problem.  Battery doesn't last through the day and cell standby uses from 8 to 50%. Runs on Android 7.0. 

0 Likes
VRGqFHprXp
Journeyman
Options

with the latest patch battery fell down again. please fix it. Why this mess?

0 Likes
James0071a
First Poster
Options

That's it. My S7 edge motherboard failed after 2.5 years. Maybe because it was heating up too much because of the incompetent software on Oreo written by Samsung. That's the nail in the coffin as far as I am concerned. I'll stick to washing machines from them but I ain't goin' nowhere near their phones ever again. They've had a bad press recently regarding battery life and I believe it fully justified especially after hearing about the S9 problems. 

I've just bought a Nokia 7.1 running Android Pie and saved a stack of cash. It's brilliant. I know who I'd trust in future. In my opinion Samsung thinks exclusively about their pockets and for me that's just not good enough.

Sorry Samsung but you've cost me a lot of time and a lot of problems and you're arrogant. Now you've lost a once loyal customer.

0 Likes
Antonio1111
First Poster
Options

Had the same issue exept that it sometimes is android system that drains the battery and somethimes other stanby samsung things.

0 Likes