Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 09:47 PM)
James0071
Explorer
Options

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
Kianda
Student
Options

I'm not into modding anymore (too much hassle and will void warranty) but I've found this:

forum DOT xda-developers DOT com/s7-edge/how-to/s7-edge-oreo-battery-drain-fix-t3812589

There are some new modem firmwares around that some users at XDA are testing already and the drain seems gone.

This means that someone somewhere is working on this? Maybe we will get the OTA update in the next few months (or by the end of the year knowing Samsung speedness on updates :smileylol:)

Carolll
Navigator
Options

@Kianda wrote:

I'm not into modding anymore (too much hassle and will void warranty) but I've found this:

forum DOT xda-developers DOT com/s7-edge/how-to/s7-edge-oreo-battery-drain-fix-t3812589

There are some new modem firmwares around that some users at XDA are testing already and the drain seems gone.

This means that someone somewhere is working on this? Maybe we will get the OTA update in the next few months (or by the end of the year knowing Samsung speedness on updates :smileylol:)

It's July and we are still on April security patches, that's ridiculous. They even stopped the initial rollout and still the firmware has issues, double ridiculous. I think we'll get those modems through ota, I still believe in Samsung a bit.. but yes first we'll have to wait for all the CSCs to get the update of course

KornelB
Pioneer
Options

Guys, I have to say it's crystal clear to me that Samsung won't do anything about this issue, they don't even admit it's there, which is quite tragical !!! 

Why am I strongly convinced about that? Well, I have sent at least 50 Error Report via Samsung Members app, at least 20 emails to the CEO, talked to at least 4 so called Samsung experts and 2 of representants of the top management, which I'm sure you've done too, and all of them told me that they "didn't got any reports about that issue" besides mine !!! I'm telling you, I even recorded the conversation with them, I could post them if I had the possibility to upload files although the conversations are in Romanian, anyway it's clear that SAMSUNG DOESN'T WANT TO ADMIT THEY HAVE AN ISSUE WITH THIS UPDATE ! 

So if you want your headfk to stop, do as I decided to do: forget about Samsung which turned into another *****y company like Apple that wants to force their clients to spend their cash buying newer models and go for Google phones or Huawei or other brands that show more respect to the customer, I sure will !

Joakim
Explorer
Options

If they don't do something with this sh*tty update, they'll be sued. It's simple - they made our phones unusable.

0 Likes
VSiam
Pioneer
Options

@Kianda wrote:

I and others here already tested this new modem firmware, it fix battery stats for "cell standby" but not the bug itself, you can read a few pages back. And Android System drain is a newborn after cell standby drain "fix". :smileylol:

But user at XDA in this thread mentioned that "Android System Drain fixed by flashing TGP Kernel". There is always hope. :smileyhappy:

@KornelB, perhaps we need some media attention like GSM Arena etc.?

KornelB
Pioneer
Options

@VSiam wrote:

@Kianda wrote:

I and others here already tested this new modem firmware, it fix battery stats for "cell standby" but not the bug itself, you can read a few pages back. And Android System drain is a newborn after cell standby drain "fix". :smileylol:

But user at XDA in this thread mentioned that "Android System Drain fixed by flashing TGP Kernel". There is always hope. :smileyhappy:

@KornelB, perhaps we need some media attention like GSM Arena etc.?

@VSiam yes, I belive that would be a great idea, let's contact GSM Arena and Adroid Authority, let's organize a little bit, we can't let Samsung threat us, US flagship buyers, like heard that must follow their trend, I'm sure you all agree with that, we paid for our devices which got bricked because they decided to !!! 

@VSiam do you have the means to contact GSM Arena ? I'll contact Android Authority and you guys that are posting here, let us know which one will back us up !!! Let's do something, let's make them understand that they can't fk with the users !!!  .... otherwise no one will take us for granted!!! 

Nimkat-77
Student
Options

Guys Samsung is not going to fix this problem. This is Samsung's policy. they want to buy a new phone, we send a lot of reviews about this problem to Samsung, but they give each other an answer and dismiss it.

Will it resolve issues with Android 7?
0 Likes
Julien75
Navigator
Options

I think you're right. 

So I'm gonna apply my personal patch to this issue: my next phone will NOT be a Samsung, even if I have to miss an exclusive feature (which I do not expect anyway) .

Very desapointed by Samsung behavior here. 

0 Likes
dj1891
Pioneer
Options

I remember when I had my S4, Samsung released Android 5.0 I think it was, it was a mess, slow and sluggish and they never fixed it, that was the last update that device got. It was in a worse situation though because it changed the bootloader meaning if you downgraded back to 4xx you lost your IMEI so you had no cell signal.  So they have form in doing this.  Don't be surprised if you don't get any more updates.  

I had an S5 and if I recall they did a similar thing, so it seems to be they will give you one major update, in the case of the S7 that was Nougat, they will patch and fix it so it works great.  They will then give you another update 8.0 in this case but it'll be a mess and they won't bother fixing it, you may get security updates but they won't fix performance issues.

0 Likes
tbd
Explorer
Options

Disregarding the higher battery consumption (which has improved over time for me and is not as bad as for some others in this thread) I'm very happy with the Oreo update on the S7 edge.

The phone feels much snappier and there are some useful new features, too.

I hope Samsung fixes the battery issue, and then there's a good chance that my next phone will be a Samsung again.