Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 04/06/18 22:47)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
Fatty
Observer
Options
Other Smartphones

Same problem I observed for a couple of weeks on flat S7. After turning mobile network mode To 3G/2G cell Phone standby drain battery disappeared! So the isue with LTE only and only on S7 oreo. S8 and S9 seems To work well on LTE. 

0 Likes
Carolll
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@Fatty wrote:

Same problem I observed for a couple of weeks on flat S7. After turning mobile network mode To 3G/2G cell Phone standby drain battery disappeared! So the isue with LTE only and only on S7 oreo. S8 and S9 seems To work well on LTE. 

Here on S7 flat I've always avoided LTE on Nougat too, when upgraded to Oreo I kept avoiding LTE even without knowing about the standby cell issue. Then I noticed the already mentioned issue but I hadn't activate LTE so (at least here) it's a general network issue 😞 it does not seem to affect WiFi that much but watching YouTube at 720p without heating still seems sci-fi

James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Hi, which carrier are you on and how did you access the carrier settings? I'm on Vodafone UK and can't see how to access them. Thanks.
0 Likes
mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

new bootloader and modem
screenshot by a russian fellow still havent tested it myself but looks good
i have flashed both of the files through odin3 on top of EREM succesfully now waiting to see on next recharge

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11050483647474827870

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11050483647474827874

https%3A%2F%2Fcs5-3.4pda.to%2F13221960https%3A%2F%2Fcs5-3.4pda.to%2F13221965

VSiam
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@mite_jan, Yes, there are new G930FXXU2ERF4 for S7 Flat also! For Taiwan and HK at this moment.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930FD/

mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@VSiam wrote:

@mite_jan, Yes, there are new G930FXXU2ERF4 for S7 Flat also! For Taiwan and HK at this moment.

Yes , dont want to jump to quickly but i think the cell standby was fixed for me 

Flashing the bootloader and modem

0 Likes
Carolll
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@VSiam wrote:

I don't like being polemical but... ohhhhhhh good newwsss now I only have to wait one month for the update to come to my XEU csc device that meanwhile keeps heating for no reason yummyy

Seriously, this sounds great news. Unfortunately I don't have time for flashing but at least they seem to have fixed the issue so it's a good thing

0 Likes
mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Open odin 3 flash modem and bootloader only , 5 minutes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

*deleted*

0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@mite_jan wrote:
Open odin 3 flash modem and bootloader only , 5 minutes

Why should BT (bootloader) be flashed along with CP (modem/radio module)? Is it enough to flash CP only?
Do these manipulations affect the "cell standby battery drain"? Can anyone confirm that flashing modem from newer ROM fixes the issue?

0 Likes
mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@SmashMix that might work too
i have flashed them both and adios battery drain

0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@mite_jan wrote:

I have flashed both BL and CP also. Now I'm charging the phone and will test is the issue gone or not.

0 Likes
Nimkat-77
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
its gone or not?
0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@Nimkat-77 wrote:
its gone or not?

I can't say anything yet. Few days of normal use needed to make any conclusions.

0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@SmashMix wrote:

@mite_jan wrote:

I have flashed both BL and CP also. Now I'm charging the phone and will test is the issue gone or not.

I decided to flash original ERE8 (Nordic countries (NEE); G935FXXU2ERE8) bootloader (BL) and left EREO (G935FXXU2EREO) modem (CP) for tests. With BL from ERF4 (G935FXXU2ERF4; same ROM as where EREO modem is) Samsung Pass, Pay and Health applications were complaining about "custom OS" and saying that phone was supposedly customized and has SuperSU rights (gentle hint like I have rooted device which is not a true).

Will see if only EREO modem will fix that cell standby issue. I will report the results after few days.

0 Likes
mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@SmashMix you can see that the cell standby increases very slowly now 1h maybe 5mah
before it was draining a lot

so are you now on older ere8 bootloader but newer modem ereo?

0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@mite_jan wrote:

@SmashMix you can see that the cell standby increases very slowly now 1h maybe 5mah
before it was draining a lot

so are you now on older ere8 bootloader but newer modem ereo?

Exactly! First I flashed both BL and CP, but I had the issue with Samsung's own apps. I flashed ERE8 bootloader back and left EREO modem.

Shortly, combination is ERE8 BL, AP etc. + EREO CP (modem)

0 Likes
mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@SmashMix i did now the same just with erem bootloader because i had the erem firmware before
and yes samsung pass was saying i have rooted phone when i changed to newest bootloader

acsicsa
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I have BTU version of Oreo with the latest updates installed. By now my cell standby drain was 40%+. I barely got 2-3 SOT. Today morning I decided to flash those 2 files with Odin. Even after one day of usage I can say that the drain disappered. See my screenshot:Screenshot_20180701-222314_Settings.jpg

nado4ilhas
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones
hey, link me 2 files installed?
0 Likes
Nimkat-77
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
warranty knox 0 or changed to 1?
give that files link