Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 04-06-2018 09:47 PM)
James0071
Explorer
Options

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
MrDash
Journeyman
Options

I have this exact problem since upgrading to Oreo on the S7 Edge.

Today, I have a 30% battery drain just due to Cell standby which is ridiculous. I never had this during Nougat. Battery seems to be affected a lot with Oreo compared to Nougat on the S7 Edge.

I tried the following but nothing worked:

Reset Network Settings and Restart

Reset Cache Partition and Restart

Don't want to factory reset as it is too much of a hassle and after installing Oreo, I had done a factory reset anyway, so doubt it will change anything.

tbd
Explorer
Options

I also have this problem with the Cell Standby Drain.

All in all the (standby) battery life with Oreo seems to be much worse for me than on Nougat, so I hope that will be fixed by an update soon.

SmashMix
Navigator
Options

Screenshot_20180607-002045_Settings.jpg

I have the same battery drain issue after updating my S7 edge from Nougat to Oreo (NEE). I noticed much worse battery right after I updated phone on 29th of May.

After update I had to delete many apps in hope to find the app which is causing the battery drainage, but ended up to find it in "cell standby", too 😡

Need hotfix asap, dear Samsung!

We waited for Oreo nearly a year and now we are struggling with very primitive problems..

Ferratus_terra
First Poster
Options

Have the same problem after upgrade to Oreo on Galaxy S7.

I've tried factory reset but that didn't help.

Still looking for some solution, don't want to downgrade to previous version of OS. Hope very much the problem will be solved and we'll recieve fixing update soon.

BR.

Pielam
First Poster
Options

S7 here. Same thing. Cell standby drains the battery quite a lot after the oreo update 😕

Halonkira
Explorer
Options

Same problem here since I updated to Oreo. The phone is perfect using WIFI, but when is using mobile data, the battery drain is quite severe, independently the intensity of the cell signal. I´ve tried all, including factory reset, reinstalling again the software wiping all data, and not installing apps except the most important for my use. The result is always the same, and when the signal is bad, the battery drain is a disaster.

I've returned to Nougat, it´s so frustrating that the phone's battery doesn't last a complete day without needing to charge it 2 or 3 times.

I've contacted with support and they said me to change the battery. Really? It's not a hardware problem, it's a software problem, only present in Oreo, not in Nougat. A battery replacement won´t solve a software bug.

SmashMix
Navigator
Options

I can confirm that while phone is connected to Wifi battery drain is much less than using mobile data. I noticed it myself just today. It was not an issue on Nougat. Of course Wifi is more efficient when it comes to battery's juice, but the difference between Wifi and mobile data was not so great on Nougat than it is now on Oreo.

0 Likes
James0071
Explorer
Options

Yes I've noticed that it is all about being on cellular network, particularly where there is a bad signal.

How did you find the process of returning to Nougat; where did you get the instructions, was it reliable and did it take a long time?

I also contacted Samsung support and they were next to useless. They were adamant that it is must be something to do with the phone. They didn't seem to understand or accept the fact that the change was a direct result of the software update. They even said they'd inspect the phone but if there wasn't anything wrong with it there would most likely be a cost to me. A dose of my experience/cynicism says that they're not going to do anything about this problem. I hope I'm wrong on this.

0 Likes
Seba891
Student
Options

Experience the same issue. My phone is 2 monts old!!! The problems started directely after update. I bought the edge version for its battery life. I will never update the OS without reading all the opinions first. The worst thing is that feom what you describe Samsung does not want to acknowledge the problem 😞