Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 20/08/18 05:50)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

 

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

 

Many thanks.

 

739 REPLIES 739
Droiderat
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

@Tester3 wrote:

For whats it worth I used a solution posted earlier by Franky5 and it worked for me.


In theory, changing Background Process Limit to 3 (or to anything other than "Standard") should worsen battery life, not improve  it.

0 Likes
Reply
Carolll
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@Droiderat wrote:

@Tester3 wrote:

For whats it worth I used a solution posted earlier by Franky5 and it worked for me.


In theory, changing Background Process Limit to 3 (or to anything other than "Standard") should worsen battery life, not improve  it.


It will only worsen it if you are always multitasking with tons of apps all the time. If you just use one app it will improve your battery life. The best thing would definitely be stop all the useless pointless background processes that samsung activates on our phones without asking nor allowing to stop them but you know, we can't. 

 

Found the standby cell issue on A5 2017 too. It seems that they can't manage to get out of this

0 Likes
Reply
AndreiFrom93
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones
The exy version of the s9 and s9 plus are bad, 5 hrs SOT???? that's bad.
0 Likes
Reply
Droiderat
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

@Carolll wrote:

@Droiderat wrote:

@Tester3 wrote:

For whats it worth I used a solution posted earlier by Franky5 and it worked for me.


In theory, changing Background Process Limit to 3 (or to anything other than "Standard") should worsen battery life, not improve  it.


It will only worsen it if you are always multitasking with tons of apps all the time. If you just use one app it will improve your battery life. The best thing would definitely be stop all the useless pointless background processes that samsung activates on our phones without asking nor allowing to stop them but you know, we can't. 

 


You are not correct, and you don't understand how this works.  As is sometimes stated, it might better be called the "Background Cache Limit".  What it does it set the number of apps that can be cached in memory (assuming that you have enough memory).  Setting it to 3 limits the number of apps in the cache to 3, even if you have an extra GB of RAM.  If it is set to "Standard", then the OS only wipes out the cache on an "as needed" basis.  Why does setting it to 3 increase battery usage?  Because it takes more battery to load an app from ROM than it does to load it from RAM.  Setting the number lower forces apps out of the cache, and therefore forces them to be reloaded the next time they are used (and they *will* be reused).  It is helpful for debugging, but it absolutely isn't doing what you think it is doing, and it isn't helping to save your battery (because your phone is using many more than 3 apps at all times).  It increases your battery usage, as well as impairing your performance (it makes the phone slower).  In essence, this setting change is a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

0 Likes
Reply
Buddhimal
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Screenshot_20180805-161549_Settings.jpg

 

Screenshot_20180820-083427_Settings.jpg

 

I also have the same problem.

Cell standby and android system use high battry power when im not using my devide.

Please help me to fix this.

0 Likes
Reply
Buddhimal
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
Can u help me to flash my s7 edge.
Im in a trouble
0 Likes
Reply
Carolll
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@Droiderat wrote:
You are not correct, and you don't understand how this works.  As is sometimes stated, it might better be called the "Background Cache Limit".  What it does it set the number of apps that can be cached in memory (assuming that you have enough memory).  Setting it to 3 limits the number of apps in the cache to 3, even if you have an extra GB of RAM.  If it is set to "Standard", then the OS only wipes out the cache on an "as needed" basis.  Why does setting it to 3 increase battery usage?  Because it takes more battery to load an app from ROM than it does to load it from RAM.  Setting the number lower forces apps out of the cache, and therefore forces them to be reloaded the next time they are used (and they *will* be reused).  It is helpful for debugging, but it absolutely isn't doing what you think it is doing, and it isn't helping to save your battery (because your phone is using many more than 3 apps at all times).  It increases your battery usage, as well as impairing your performance (it makes the phone slower).  In essence, this setting change is a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Of course it's meant for devs so the standard behaviour will be the best in most cases. Also I don't think that making the launcher reload every time you press Home would be enjoyable. However, it would be pretty hard for anyone here to really know if the other users understand things. Non-cached-apps reload power consumption does not interfere on the same level as the standby cell issue because it's related to a modem/mobile data issue (as far as we know), so the problem we are trying to figure out here is not about loading apps. Limiting cached background apps probably can block something related to the standby cell issue that is not directly related to the limit itself (*plot twist*), in fact the user that experienced the improvement stated that the battery drain caused by the standby cell issue was gone even if the limit had gone back to standard.

 

@Buddhimal wrote:
Can u help me to flash my s7 edge.
Im in a trouble

I think you'd better go to XDA forums 

0 Likes
Reply
KornelB
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi guys, 

 

Just had a chat with one of Samsung's executives in Romania after I've sent them at least a dozen of emails regarding this issue and I was astonished when he told me that I am probably the only one reporting this problem in Romania and Bulgaria.  Of course that's a lot of bull but just to be sure, is there anyone from Romania or Bulgaria (Samsung Bulgaria is affiliated to Samsung Romania) experiencing the battery drain on an S7 Flat with the following update ?: 

 

Baseband: G930FXXU2ERGC 

Built: R16NW.G930FXXU2ERGE

Security Patch: 1 July 2018 

 

Please let me know. 

 

gural2309
New Member
Options
Other Smartphones

S7 FLAT in Poland still no update.

 

Baseband: G930FXXU2ERD6

Built: R16NW.G930FXXU2ERE8

Security Patch: 1 April 2018 

 

Battery standby after whole day reach 50% (as they told me its a bug and still it dont drain battery). Thats wierd because screen (14%) and system (8%) use whole 24%  and i have now 16%. My battery performance on nougat was 12-14h without energy saving and now it's live for 10-12h without AOD, HD resolution, CPU lowered ferq. What is this SAMUNG !?

AlfS41
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

According to Sammobile in some european countries there is a new S7 firmware: G930FXXU2ERH1 with august security level patch.

In this website you can find changelist of this update: https://www.androidinfotech.com/2018/08/samsung-galaxy-s7-sm-g930f-august-2018-ota.html  In the second half of the list you can find "Battery drain issue Fixed."  Has anyone tried this update yet?

0 Likes
Reply