Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 06/08/18 00:45)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
GauravThakur
Observer
Options
Other Smartphones

i was facing the same issue after oreo update in my galaxy S7 Indian version. the main cause of battery drain was "cell standby" it was taking so much of my battery. In ideal condition it was taking 2-4% of my battery in 1 hour and also i was getting 5 min screen on time at 1% of battery on video watching.(at 30% brightness). So wot i did is, i used the phone at safe mode for whole one day with 4g(LTE) on. So wot i found is it was taking 1% of my phone battery for 1 hour. So it took almost 24-30% of my battery for 24 hour without touching it on 4g.

Then next day i used my phone normal mode( without safe mode ) and it was again taking the lots of battery on ideal situation. ok enough of explaining 😛

SOLUTION: Go to settings-apps-then select all third party apps and go to mobile data and untick the "allow background data" 

you have to untick the background data in each and every third party app excepted samsung own apps. in my case i only allowed facebook, fb messenger app and whatsapp for background data. and all samsung apps. 

So now I'm getting almost same battery backup as i was getting with before oreo.

now my video watching time is 6 min at 1% of battery(at 30% brightness)

and i also left my phone ideal for 10 hour with 4g(LTE) on at night with same settings and it took 10% of my phone battery. battery was at 100% and after 10 hour it was at 90%. 

So i think i explained best of my ability. ppl who are suffering with same problem try this method.

I have attached a screen shot of one app for example. 

If it works for you plz feed someone poor a meal :smiling-face:

Reagrds

Gaurav ThakurScreenshot_20180622-171919_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180622-171926_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Carolll
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@GauravThakur wrote:

i was facing the same issue after oreo update in my galaxy S7 Indian version. the main cause of battery drain was "cell standby" it was taking so much of my battery. In ideal condition it was taking 2-4% of my battery in 1 hour and also i was getting 5 min screen on time at 1% of battery on video watching.(at 30% brightness). So wot i did is, i used the phone at safe mode for whole one day with 4g(LTE) on. So wot i found is it was taking 1% of my phone battery for 1 hour. So it took almost 24-30% of my battery for 24 hour without touching it on 4g.

Then next day i used my phone normal mode( without safe mode ) and it was again taking the lots of battery on ideal situation. ok enough of explaining 😛

SOLUTION: Go to settings-apps-then select all third party apps and go to mobile data and untick the "allow background data" 

you have to untick the background data in each and every third party app excepted samsung own apps. in my case i only allowed facebook, fb messenger app and whatsapp for background data. and all samsung apps. 

So now I'm getting almost same battery backup as i was getting with before oreo.

now my video watching time is 6 min at 1% of battery(at 30% brightness)

and i also left my phone ideal for 10 hour with 4g(LTE) on at night with same settings and it took 10% of my phone battery. battery was at 100% and after 10 hour it was at 90%. 

So i think i explained best of my ability. ppl who are suffering with same problem try this method.

I have attached a screen shot of one app for example. 

If it works for you plz feed someone poor a meal :smiling-face:

Reagrds

Gaurav ThakurScreenshot_20180622-171919_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180622-171926_Settings.jpg

This is the first thing I did when I received Oreo to all my apps, I even disabled anything I could disable in settings, I have mid power saving on and no background data allowed to any app. My S7 flat still heats for no reason when not in offline mode and cell standby battery usage is still there (so to me this solution does not work). The system must behave well independently from the user's settings as Samsung provides those options and the users have to choose if they want them to work or not, they don't have to choose if their device works well or not, also given that we are talking about a well known brand and device, so it has to work well, I think. Of course anything but cell standby consumption in this message is my personal opinion, and I think Samsung should care about a decent firmware

0 Likes
Julien75
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

@Gaurav : I think this is the right way to go.

I just reached the same conclusion this morning, but my process is a bit different.

I went to settings -> battery -> scroll down the page to application in standby. There is an option to set apps on "permanent standby" (or something like that, I have a french version).

From here you can add each user application that do NOT need running on background (most of them in my case, except my podcast app and several other stuffs) -> HUGE improvement in battery drain. Not as good as what I got with Nougat but definitively better.

0 Likes
VSiam
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Guys, since the cell standby bug is related to LTE data, anything you do for limit it (turn on WiFi or 3G, put apps to sleep, limit background data etc.) will work to some extent, but this is not a solution at all. It's just workaround to alleviate the problem, to make it less prominent.

Currently if you need LTE/4G and good battery life, you can:
1. Downgrade to Nougat
2. Install custom ROM - f.e. Sac23 S9 Ported Rom for S7/S7Edge (look at XDA). Yes, on S9 cell standby bug was fixed! But it's not mean Samsung will bring this fix to S7/S8 too...
Dod
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Really getting annoying here with the cell standby drain !!!

Samsung ! Please do something, i was all praises for S7  untill the oreo update !!

0 Likes
Nos1
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

is there any way to downgrade the update?

i'm charging my phone 2-3 times a day now and use it much less than i used to. Last week i was getting a full day and a bit form a single charge, this software is full of bugs. my s7 edge is useless now which is such a shame

0 Likes
Julien75
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

OK, so I'm backup to Nougat, battery drain was to high with Oreo.

Thank you for nothing Samsung. I sware that if this issue is not solved very soon my next mobile will be LG or Huawei.

0 Likes
tbd
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I guess the battery drain with Oreo was fixed on S8 and S9, so there's a pretty good chance that it will be fixed on the S7 too. However, not fixing it would be ridiculous, as it is clearly an issue of the firmware.

0 Likes
mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

first i wrote through the samsung members app and they told me to connect to webchat someone but that person just told me to erase the cache or factory reset and redirected me for rma near me

you can keep pushing guys through the samsung members app post a screenshot and explain in detail
also on the webchat because they will respond to you for sure
and say that you are not the only one but lots of us and redirect them to this or any other forum with this issue
the more of us report it they will do something about it

0 Likes
Dziubdziok
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
No mate się is scrap everyday I try switch off this this nothing help....battery I scrap.... I must buy Powerbank 20000mah from 6 am to 11 am battery from 100 to 30 so Samsung pissoff for all customers not good
0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones
Just one thought came on my mind: is it possible to "port" (copy the idea what should be done to fix the problem) solution from that ROM to S7 official Oreo ROM?
0 Likes
Halonkira
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

If you don't know the origin of the problem, you can't fix it. Anyways, Samsung doesn't publish source code, except the kernel, and probably S8 and S9 have a very different kernel compared to S7 to identify if it's related to that. It's impossible to make changes if we haven't got any sources.

0 Likes
AdrianCIty
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Solution for me:

'settings' in 'apps' was draining all the mobile data. I disabled mobile background access and the problem was solved.

Screenshot_20180622-200712_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Sylva1n
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

How did you limit the mobile data for settings? 

Screenshot_20180623-210101_Settings.jpg

When I get into the mobile data used by settings, it just give me a list of all process linked to settings, and I can't do anything about it.

0 Likes
Arend85
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Disabling background data on every app and system app does help alot. Worth doing regardless.

0 Likes
AleHernández
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I talked to a samsung "tech" online and she told me to dial *#0228#, then hit the quick start button and now cell standby is normal again.. i dont now if that was the issue or its just a big coincidence, but now its at 1% again!

Screenshot_20180623-175931_Settings.jpg

mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

you have wifi on thats why
test on data only

0 Likes
tadks
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I've signed up for a Samsung account to let Samsung know that our two S7 flats have the same standby drain issue following Oreo installation noted here by others, and that we would be likely to look to other manufacturers when renewal comes up this fall unless Samsung demonstrates a commitment to keep older phones working.

Also, our son misses your sponsorship of Chelsea FC - your logo looked much better than Yokohama!

tadks
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I reported several days ago that the battery on my AT&T S7 flat was draining very fast after my upgrade to Nougat. However, the problem is much less severe now; unfortunately, I'm not completely sure what I did. I *think* that I did the following in roughly the order shown:

• Enabled Settings|Connections|Data Usage|International Data Roaming|International Data
    (
    possibly unrelated - I did this only because I needed to deal with a traffic jam while in Canada)
  • Disabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Enhanced LTE Services|Enhanced LTE Services
    (based on earlier replies in this thread talking about LTE calling possibly driving the drainage)
  • Disabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Mobile data|Mobile Data
    (maybe? I'm not 100% sure that I did this, but I may have)
  • Sat around for a while watching the phone and concluded it wasn't making a difference
  • Enabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Enhanced LTE Services|Enhanced LTE Services
    (b/c why not?)
  • Disabled Settings|Connections|Data Usage|International Data Roaming|International Data
    (realized I was back in the US so I turned it off on principle)
  • Enabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Mobile data|Mobile Data
    (maybe ... again, not sure if I did this or not)

After a while, I noticed that my battery drain was not as bad and felt more or less normal - I currently have 50% after nine fairly busy hours, and have reliably gone 16+ hours without dying for three days in a row now, with a restart in the middle to validate that the fix (?) is persistent. So, I'm sharing in case anyone - especially on AT&T in the USA - cares to try.

Of course, it could just be a fortuitous cosmic ray that magically cured my phone. If this does work for others, though, it might be that a flag was mis-set in the update binary, and toggling one or more of the indicated settings put it back in order. HTH.

0 Likes
srg-b
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I'm just concerned Samsung does this on purpose, to force people to upgrade their phones, and hence there will be no patch for S7, only for S8 and 9.

This is what happened to my A5 when Nougat came out - battery life went down the drain. So I had to root and flash a custom ROM which took me whole day to accomplish. I now have to root my phone again and delete the update and disable the update app, instead of spending what little time I have outside my job with my kids.

This is really bad practice and disappointing behaviour from Samsung.

VSiam
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@tadks, So, currently you have Mobile Network = LTE, Mobile data = On, Enhanced LTE Services = On and rather good battery life? BTW if you make restart everyday - this is a fix by itself. :smileyhappy:

Also I want to share for all who does not have Enhanced LTE Services/VoLTE in settings, that there are hidden activities:

1. Mobile Networks / EnhancedLteServices (com.samsung.networkui.usa.EnhancedLteServices). Yes it's have USA in the name but who knows - it's a simple checkbox "Enable HD Voice and other stuff if available".

2. Settings / RadioInfo - which is like *#4636 before. Here you can see in 3-dot menu IMS Status and some more info. In main screen there are 4 unnamed (in my case) toggles, the first is On and others are greyed out for me - greyed are for Enhanced LTE Services, as far as I know.

3. IMS Settings, which can't be accessed with permission denied. :smileysad:

You can make use of hidden activities with f.e. Shortcut Master or More Shortcuts apps or Activities widget in Nova Launcher.