Support

Open search

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

Highlighted
Explorer

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
Highlighted

@mite_jan wrote:

It is released for s7 edge too

@SmashMix wrote:

@dj1891 wrote:

Ah shame nothing for G935

@mite_jan wrote:

anybody on ee (UK) or from netherlands installed the new firmware with new security patches on the S7 ?
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/EVR/download/G930FXXU2ERG2/225743/

Yep, weird that update released for G930 only, but not for both G930 AND G935. I really hope that this is the long waited fix for us.

I couldn't find it on sammobile :winking-face:

Highlighted

@SmashMix wrote:

@mite_jan wrote:

It is released for s7 edge too

@SmashMix wrote:

@dj1891 wrote:

Ah shame nothing for G935

@mite_jan wrote:

anybody on ee (UK) or from netherlands installed the new firmware with new security patches on the S7 ?
https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930F/EVR/download/G930FXXU2ERG2/225743/

Yep, weird that update released for G930 only, but not for both G930 AND G935. I really hope that this is the long waited fix for us.

https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?record=FBC1B5A68C1811E89F15FA163EE8F90B

and

UK

https://updato.com/firmware-archive-select-model?record=489AC01E8C1E11E89F15FA163EE8F90B

Highlighted

@SmashMix wrote:

Use updato.com, enter model G935F and sort results by date. Free download and no speed limit. )

Flashed this morning ERG2 modem for my G930F, will report next week. Good luck! )

Highlighted

Great guys, keep us updated on your results, hopefuly it will fix it !

Highlighted

Downloading for G935 will flash tomorrow and give it a whirl.  I do have EE EVR firmware on the phone but it doesn't show an update for some reason.

Bootloader ERG4 was released today. ERG2 remains the latest modem. 

Highlighted

wrote:

The problem discussed in this thread isn't manifesting at night, while connected to WiFi (w/ or w/o AOD).  The issue is battery drain while connected to 4G.

So, when you have a week of experience with your experiment, while connected to 4G, please update your report.

Last night before going to bed, I made sure the phone is fully charged up, I unplugged it,  turned OFF AOD and Wi-Fi and left it on LTE all night.

Results:

1.2%/h battery drain for a total of 5 hours. On Nougat, the best I've gotten is 2.0%/h. 

Again, my phone is an S7 Flat running an xda oreo stock rom called DevBase 5.8. My modem is now ERG2 which got updated 2 days ago and I got the modem off of a Telegram channel and flashed it using twrp. So where is Samsung out of this entire equation? Xda and telegram have been more helpful. 

I look forward to your response :smiling-face:

Highlighted

Installed EVR last night, thus far no sign of Cell Standby Drain and battery life seems pretty normal so far.

Highlighted
Guys, can anyone kindly provide a link to ERG2 CP file (modem) download only. It's just over 43 MB. No need to download/use the other parts of the Oreo update, right?
Thanks in advance!
Highlighted
Bro would u plz explain ? I don't get it what exactly r u saying ? I neeneed solution plz
Top Liked Authors