Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 18/07/18 18:43)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@KornelB @VSiam,

Have you already contacted them?

0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

Meanwhile:

I'm done factory reset just to test will it change anything. I'm still with EREO modem which I flashed few weeks before. I will report since I have some data.

SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

I will still keep monitoring this thread here, but this guy is saying that drain got fixed for him:

[QUOTE=Mort015;77027769]For BL/Modem Updates u can use odin if you have no root. If you have root then you can download the lastest BL_CP zip for S7/S7edge and simply flash it via TWRP. i got Android System Drain fixed by flashing TGP Kernel and. I also use ForceDoze app. My todays SOT is actually 5h 50min and i still have 24%. Standby Drain: Nothing🤗I think Android System drain is a Kernel relates issue bc on TGP Kernel i have only 13% of Android System drain. On MoroKernel i had around 35%-50%🙁... but with TGP Kernel all is fine for me. Whats your Device mate? Then i can give you all links to files bc i safed them in my Browser[/QUOTE]

@AntS probably someone out there will fix the issue faster than Samsung. In this case it's wise to take help from "outside of the house".

utahman1971
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

The only drainage I notice since update on my s7 edge was with location enabled. It would drain faster but not horrendous amount compared to Nougat when I had location on it did not drain hardly at all but Oreo it does. So now I have location and history turned off. With it off it does about what Nougat with battery but slightly better. My issue is with location now. I hope that would be solved in future.

0 Likes
KornelB
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
@SmashMix yes I did contacted Android Authority just a couple of hours ago. Wrote a brief description of the issue and send them the link to this thread.
seban25
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
i´m thinking about updating to BTU version with Odin. Are there any problems with that version? Battery drain? I have G935FD
0 Likes
Bigglesworth
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Since I downgraded to Nougat, my phone loses about 2% per hour during idle. Overnight it loses about 10-15%. Wifi is ON, LTE is ON, AOD is OFF.
Is it normal discharging speed for Galaxy S7? I'm not saying this is a problem. My phone live longer than 24 hours. I just want to know, is it normal behavior of the phone?

Screenshot_20180717-110729.jpg123.jpg

0 Likes
Xsever
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

My S7 Flat running a Note 8 7.1.1 ROM drains battery as per the following:

Idle, Wifi, AOD OFF, 0.7%/hr

Idle, Wifi, AOD ON, 1.7%/hr

Idle, LTE, AOD OFF, 1.3-2.0%/hr

Idle, LTE, AOD ON, 2.8%/hr

I hope these stats help.

TheFlyingCelt
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi all, I'm writing from Italy.

I own an S7 flat no brand. Like most of you I experienced battery drain after updating to Oreo.

Many people on the Italian Samsung community have been talking about flashing the CP (modem/radio) with a previous version but according to my extensive tests that will NOT fix the issue.

Yeah it will show the correct % value for standby cell, but it won't actually change anything in terms of battery life.

The problem is somewhere else.

Having this said, battery life was about 24 hours + 8 in airplane mode with Nougat = 32 hours, and 14 hours + 8 in airplane mode = 22 with Oreo with same usage, battery saving ON, most of apps frozen in background, etc.

Cheers

Tanvir1
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
I have same problem on my a5 2017 after update oreo 8.0. after long time using facebook/youtube/etc, they usage battery only 3-4% but screen and cell standby show 30-40%. I think it was software bug.
0 Likes
dj1891
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@Tanvir1 wrote:
I have same problem on my a5 2017 after update oreo 8.0. after long time using facebook/youtube/etc, they usage battery only 3-4% but screen and cell standby show 30-40%. I think it was software bug.

I never checked for this on the A5 2017, all I know is I did not have any battery problems regardless of what the readings said.

0 Likes
aliiiii
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I am on your side.

Samsung is delaying update release for favor of "tuning" or "adding features" for more productivity, yet when they release the update, it comes with so many problems and significant performance decrease.

This is how Samsung operates now, not sure if Apple will take them to court for stealing their idea (make older phone slow and problematic like *****! So people force to buy new one)

I don't get the fact people staying at Samsung's side! R they ggettin paid or they really think Samsung is making the best phone (lets be honest they used to be tjt best, but NOT ANYMORE)

I have same issue with Oreo and I already made my decision to buy something else than Samsung...

I will live with this issue for a while and then my next phone is not Samsung... %100 sure about it.

Just came here to support your post and once again let Samsung know this is not the right approach they are taking for making profit.

Cheers!

EngrMohsin
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Bro i have managed this issue somehow, may it will help u, just follow the same step as I do. First do it soft reset(in setting) then after restarting just turn off the phone and go to recovery with keys(power volume up and and menu buttons at d same time) then clean the cache, and reset the device and again clean cache after that just hit the reboot button. Hope it will help help u but guys just follow the same pattern as i said. Thank u

0 Likes
Carolll
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@EngrMohsin wrote:

Bro i have managed this issue somehow, may it will help u, just follow the same step as I do. First do it soft reset(in setting) then after restarting just turn off the phone and go to recovery with keys(power volume up and and menu buttons at d same time) then clean the cache, and reset the device and again clean cache after that just hit the reboot button. Hope it will help help u but guys just follow the same pattern as i said. Thank u

I think there has already been someone that said that data reset won't work. If it worked out for you it's fine but we can't wipe our data any time Samsung can't do their work, also because a modem issue does not get fixed by data reset. And what a coincidence they always say to reset all data. Thanks anyway, maybe someone has time enough to try

mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

N

0 Likes
Mesho
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I got a signal from my friend using UK EE that recent update PDA G930FXXU2ERG2 and CSC G930FEVR2ERG2 fixed this issue and it works better than first Oreo builds. Stay tuned for it on the rest of update channels.

WonderToy
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Great. Keep us updated.

0 Likes
mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
It was rolled out for the s7 edge in netherlands , i will try the modem only until full firmware for uk
0 Likes
Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
@EngrMohsin- I definetly did all of those things and nothing helped. Backed up everything too via Samsung account & Google and double checked at the Sprint store where they factory reset my phone and I still lost all kindsa stuff. Now my battery life is better than it was immediately after Oreo update but still not as good as it was on Nougat. The point is, we shouldn't have to do that. An update should bring improvements, not screw your phone up so much that you have to do a factory reset to get it to function half as well as it did prior to the update. I'm going to deal with this for as long as possible then going Pixel. Two weeks of this thread has taught me that Google is the solution. However, thank you for posting what helped you because it may help others!
noobc0re
Observer
Options
Other Smartphones

Ill just leave it here

Screenshot_20180803-013642_Settings.jpgScreenshot_20180803-014254_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
Joakim
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

For me the latest update did not solve the problem, actually it only made it worse -  cell standby battery drain increased. Switichng to 3G, wipe cache partition and disabling VoLTE did not help. Any ideas?

0 Likes