Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 12/07/18 14:17)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
Olli0371
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

I have  read some posts on redit that the last update with July Patch solved the drain issue for some people. May be that's why it is quiet here. 

regards

Oliver

0 Likes
Sylva1n
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Screenshot_20180729-234343_Settings yes .jpg

Screenshot_20180724-171547_GSam Battery yes.jpg

For me it was fixed with the july update and disabling 4g calls: with my S7 flat, my phone can last around 3h SOT on 2 days (with 2*8hour on airplane mode) or 4h SOT on one day, only on 4g, never on wifi.

Not much if you ask me, but my phone never was great on this aspect.

Way better than the 1st Oreo update.

0 Likes
KornelB
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi guys,

I've got an OTA update yesterday, not sure if that was meant for the Romanian market because I was in roaming, it's the G930FXXU2ERG2 for Samsung S7 Flat. 

I can't say anything yet but for the first day it looks like the Cell Standby dropped from an average 40% usage to a 6 % one. 

And yes, this one has July 1st security patch. 

Hope it will do the trick for me, I'll let you know in the upcoming days. 

0 Likes
tomahawk5000
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Dear Samsung,

please don't forget about XEO CSC

:smiling-face:

best regards

Tomek

0 Likes
VSiam
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I'm on latest BTU (July patch) since yesterday and almost 24h at 4G all was fine but now I see drain again and switched back to 3G. This is the same behaviour as before in my case - after restart or update with restart drain stopped for some time (max was few days) and then starts again. Phone was just on the table at the moment with good signal level and without activity (screen off).

Update: after switching to wi-fi, then 3G, I go back to 4G, without restart, just for test - and for 2h I don't have drain. At least it's something new, if I can shut down bug just by change modes back and forth. I need more time for testing anyway.

Julien75
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

@bobblebob

Steven9761
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Last time I checked, there were 24 hours in each day, and the average person sleeps for about 6 of them! Call this idea "thinking outside the box" if you will, but is it possible that users can put their phones on charge overnight? Alternatively, if this issue keeps you awake at night, perhaps you should just get rid of your phones, and go back to the good old days, when two tin cans and a piece of string would suffice?

0 Likes
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
That may be the case for you. But there are two points to be made here.

1. Is the battery drain the same as Nougat was prior to the update to Oreo?
2. Without question my phone and many others have significantly more battery drain with Oreo than before the upgrade. It's not helpful to dilute the gravity of this thread by making out that there's no issue. Clearly there is an issue and it needs to be solved.
bobblebob
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

@James0071 wrote:
That may be the case for you. But there are two points to be made here.

1. Is the battery drain the same as Nougat was prior to the update to Oreo?
2. Without question my phone and many others have significantly more battery drain with Oreo than before the upgrade. It's not helpful to dilute the gravity of this thread by making out that there's no issue. Clearly there is an issue and it needs to be solved.

Not sure if this was aimed at me or the other poster. I will answer anyway

1 - Battery drain seems about the same. Nothing overly noticeable anyway

2 - There clearly is an issue with what the phone displays for Cell Standy battery times. How much that actually effects battery is uncertain. Some it seems to effect worth than others. Now is that because cell standby is really using what it says it is, or is there other issues are play aswell

0 Likes
VSiam
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@James0071 wrote:
It's not helpful to dilute the gravity of this thread by making out that there's no issue. Clearly there is an issue and it needs to be solved.

Just wanted to say the same. To all who don't have this bug, you are lucky but why you posting here and creating an illusion of staistics error? I don't care much about battery stats values - they are formal and getting more and more vague with every new Android version. We are talking about the math - real discharge rate. Some people have sharply decreased SoT time, I prefer to check idle discharge rate with the same experience - when the bug is active I have 10x discharge rate! Two weeks ago I've made an experiment with comparing logs of good sleep and bad sleep - just check it.

There are tons of post about this bug at international forums here at Samsung community and much more at Reddit, XDA and others. I'm sticking at 3G now because of this bug. I'm waiting for July security patch with hoping for fix also.

mite_jan
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@mite_jan wrote:

new base for france ERF6 appeared

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7-edge/SM-G935F/SFR/download/G935FXXU2ERF6/225462/

Yep, but this includes exactly the same modem (CP ERD6). So no fix of the bug yet, I guess.

0 Likes
Xsever
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Well noted. Thank you for the clarification.

I just love how blazing quick Samsung is in reminding people that using "unofficial changes to the phone's software" will void the warranty while they are painfully slow in fixing a battery drain problem on 2-year old flagship phones. Honestly, these unofficial changes by forums like xda and the likes have been much faster than multi-billion $ Samsung in resolving issues with the rom, kernel, bootloader, and modem that Samsung is supposed to be responsible for.

VSiam
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@Kianda wrote:

There are some new modem firmwares around that some users at XDA are testing already and the drain seems gone.

I and others here already tested this new modem firmware, it fix battery stats for "cell standby" but not the bug itself, you can read a few pages back. And Android System drain is a newborn after cell standby drain "fix". :smileylol:

But user at XDA in this thread mentioned that "Android System Drain fixed by flashing TGP Kernel". There is always hope. :smileyhappy:

@KornelB, perhaps we need some media attention like GSM Arena etc.?

KornelB
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@VSiam wrote:

@Kianda wrote:

There are some new modem firmwares around that some users at XDA are testing already and the drain seems gone.

I and others here already tested this new modem firmware, it fix battery stats for "cell standby" but not the bug itself, you can read a few pages back. And Android System drain is a newborn after cell standby drain "fix". :smileylol:

But user at XDA in this thread mentioned that "Android System Drain fixed by flashing TGP Kernel". There is always hope. :smileyhappy:

@KornelB, perhaps we need some media attention like GSM Arena etc.?

@VSiam yes, I belive that would be a great idea, let's contact GSM Arena and Adroid Authority, let's organize a little bit, we can't let Samsung threat us, US flagship buyers, like heard that must follow their trend, I'm sure you all agree with that, we paid for our devices which got bricked because they decided to !!! 

@VSiam do you have the means to contact GSM Arena ? I'll contact Android Authority and you guys that are posting here, let us know which one will back us up !!! Let's do something, let's make them understand that they can't fk with the users !!!  .... otherwise no one will take us for granted!!! 

Nimkat-77
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Guys Samsung is not going to fix this problem. This is Samsung's policy. they want to buy a new phone, we send a lot of reviews about this problem to Samsung, but they give each other an answer and dismiss it.

Will it resolve issues with Android 7?
0 Likes
Julien75
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

I think you're right. 

So I'm gonna apply my personal patch to this issue: my next phone will NOT be a Samsung, even if I have to miss an exclusive feature (which I do not expect anyway) .

Very desapointed by Samsung behavior here. 

0 Likes
dj1891
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

I remember when I had my S4, Samsung released Android 5.0 I think it was, it was a mess, slow and sluggish and they never fixed it, that was the last update that device got. It was in a worse situation though because it changed the bootloader meaning if you downgraded back to 4xx you lost your IMEI so you had no cell signal.  So they have form in doing this.  Don't be surprised if you don't get any more updates.  

I had an S5 and if I recall they did a similar thing, so it seems to be they will give you one major update, in the case of the S7 that was Nougat, they will patch and fix it so it works great.  They will then give you another update 8.0 in this case but it'll be a mess and they won't bother fixing it, you may get security updates but they won't fix performance issues.

0 Likes
tbd
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Disregarding the higher battery consumption (which has improved over time for me and is not as bad as for some others in this thread) I'm very happy with the Oreo update on the S7 edge.

The phone feels much snappier and there are some useful new features, too.

I hope Samsung fixes the battery issue, and then there's a good chance that my next phone will be a Samsung again.

Leecharles
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

This is why I've ordered a OnePlus phone. Samsung have lost my business for good 

0 Likes
WonderToy
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Well, seems that OnePlus users have the same battery drain problem right now. Looks like it's Oreo issue.