Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 10-07-2018 03:47 PM)
James0071
Explorer
Options

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Update: My battery life has not improved over Nougat. It's slightly improved from original Oreo update before the factory reset (which I lost things that we checked to make sure we're backed up prior to reset). Now I still had to reset because my phone started crashing randomly n Sprint said it was because I had so many apps on my SD card n it wasn't "designed for that" that it was designed for basically media storage only. My calendar is BLANK. I was signed in to both my Google and Samsung account on this phone and had every tickable box ticked. My Bookmarks in Chrome are there but NONE in Samsung Internet. I think God is trying to teach me a lesson- not to be so attached to (not so much dependent on) stuff like this phone. I have all birthdays & stuff like that written down in an actual planner I keep in my purse so I can enter it all in again. Won't be able to find the missing audio files because I don't remember everything I had. My old S4 that my mom has now has more on it than this S7 cuz it's never been factory reset. What a bi/ch y'all. All cuz of this ***** Oreo update. I'm with srg-but when s/he said that they're going with Google devices from now on.
MP03
Student
Options
I have exact same issue. Phone was working perfectly fine for last 1+ year. Then I did a update to android 8.0 and it is terrible since then. Cellstandby taking 50%+ of battery. I have to charge my phone 2 to 3 times in one day.
I went to O2 store (as i am on O2) to get some help on this issue and they said they think the phone is old and needs a repair. Thats bull*****. Why the f*** they should release android 8.0 if it was not tested properly. Hate it.
Vylet22
Explorer
Options
@MP03-dude, ikr! Isn't there some kinda beta testers or something that they do a soft release to 1st to see what all the kinks are b4 releasing it to EVERYONE???
0 Likes
MP03
Student
Options
If you think they did then do you mean they released ***** version on purpose ???
0 Likes
Vylet22
Explorer
Options
@MP03- no I have no idea if they actually do. But I just think they would. However I am thinking logically here and taking away custom text alerts sho wasn't logical. And maybe they did do it on purpose- following Apple's lead on intentionally crapping out older devices forcing their users to go buy the latest one- AND THEY DO. I don't wanna continue to be the victim. This is my 2nd Samsung Galaxy and will be my last cuz I sure got screwed on this one. Not at 1st, but 2 years later. Going Google Pixel next cuz this some bull$hit Samsung pulling that Apple card.
0 Likes
Bigglesworth
Apprentice
Options

I doubt that they did it on purpose. OnePlus has the same problem on Oreo.

One more thing about this "cell standby" consumption: it's absolutely random. Yesterday, "cell standby" ate about 20% of the battery over night. Today only 3%. But I did not change anything in the settings.

0 Likes
Vylet22
Explorer
Options

I really don't care if they did it on purpose or not, lol. My phone is royally fc#d up because of this update. Didn't crash at random on Nougat. Didn't hafta reset when on Nougat (or any OS prior). Didn't have major battery drain on Nougat. Oh but now I have a cartoon alligator I can get to from my keyboard. Gee, thanks Samsung.

0 Likes
Kianda
Student
Options

SM-G930F - Android 8.0.0

Same issue; severe battery drain caused by cell standby.

Since Oreo I need to charge the smartphone way more times than before.

Ticket already opened. Screenshot and all possible info provided. Fu**s given by Samsung? None.

I mean 20+ pages of reports and still nothing?

Bug happens I know, I'm not mad for that...

What is really  embarrassing here is that Samsung refuses to acknowledge this.

KornelB
Pioneer
Options

@Kianda wrote:

SM-G930F - Android 8.0.0

Same issue; severe battery drain caused by cell standby.

Since Oreo I need to charge the smartphone way more times than before.

Ticket already opened. Screenshot and all possible info provided. Fu**s given by Samsung? None.

I mean 20+ pages of reports and still nothing?

Bug happens I know, I'm not mad for that...

What is really  embarrassing here is that Samsung refuses to acknowledge this.

@Kianda I'm not sure that someone from Samsung is actually reading what we are writing here. For example, yesterday I was contacted by a Samsung representative due to my several Error Reports sent to them using the Samsung Members app, and when I mentioned that there are other users reporting the same issue on Samsung Community, he said he is not aware of that, as they usually take in consideration what was reported directly to them not on some blog even if the blog is on their website.

That's why I suggested to you all to send error reports via the Samsung Members app and even to write those complains to the CEO, those emails that you will write will be distributed to the top management of Samsung's regional representative. 

0 Likes
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Options

Read through previous pages, samsung is aware, and is apparently working on a fix, but eta is unknown.

0 Likes