Did you mean: 

Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 29/06/18 12:03)
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@James0071 wrote:
Hi, which carrier are you on and how did you access the carrier settings? I'm on Vodafone UK and can't see how to access them. Thanks.

@I'm in France, @ SFR. I accessed it because my carrier has an app which allows me to suscribe/unsuscribe options and get your invoices etc., but most likely your carrier has a website to log on to as a customer.

After a few days without 4G Call, I can say it's better, but still not very good.

Screenshot_20180629-095942_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg

0 Likes
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@tadks, So, currently you have Mobile Network = LTE, Mobile data = On, Enhanced LTE Services = On and rather good battery life? BTW if you make restart everyday - this is a fix by itself. :smileyhappy:

Also I want to share for all who does not have Enhanced LTE Services/VoLTE in settings, that there are hidden activities:

1. Mobile Networks / EnhancedLteServices (com.samsung.networkui.usa.EnhancedLteServices). Yes it's have USA in the name but who knows - it's a simple checkbox "Enable HD Voice and other stuff if available".

2. Settings / RadioInfo - which is like *#4636 before. Here you can see in 3-dot menu IMS Status and some more info. In main screen there are 4 unnamed (in my case) toggles, the first is On and others are greyed out for me - greyed are for Enhanced LTE Services, as far as I know.

3. IMS Settings, which can't be accessed with permission denied. :smileysad:

You can make use of hidden activities with f.e. Shortcut Master or More Shortcuts apps or Activities widget in Nova Launcher.

Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@mite_jan, Yes, there are new G930FXXU2ERF4 for S7 Flat also! For Taiwan and HK at this moment.

https://www.sammobile.com/firmwares/galaxy-s7/SM-G930FD/

Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@VSiam wrote:

@mite_jan, Yes, there are new G930FXXU2ERF4 for S7 Flat also! For Taiwan and HK at this moment.

Yes , dont want to jump to quickly but i think the cell standby was fixed for me 

Flashing the bootloader and modem

0 Likes
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@VSiam wrote:

I don't like being polemical but... ohhhhhhh good newwsss now I only have to wait one month for the update to come to my XEU csc device that meanwhile keeps heating for no reason yummyy

Seriously, this sounds great news. Unfortunately I don't have time for flashing but at least they seem to have fixed the issue so it's a good thing

0 Likes
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Open odin 3 flash modem and bootloader only , 5 minutes
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I don't know... I already have this update (actually I updated Nougat directly to this version a few days ago) and still cell standby is by far the leading battery drainer...

0 Likes
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Typo in my report on getting some relief ... abbreviated version with correction:

I reported several days ago that the battery on my AT&T S7 flat was draining very fast after my upgrade to *OREO* (NOT Nougat). I *think* that I did the following in roughly the order shown:

• Enabled Settings|Connections|Data Usage|International Data Roaming|International Data
  • Disabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Enhanced LTE Services|Enhanced LTE Services
  • Disabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Mobile data|Mobile Data
  • Sat around for a while watching the phone and concluded it wasn't making a difference
  • Enabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Enhanced LTE Services|Enhanced LTE Services
  • Disabled Settings|Connections|Data Usage|International Data Roaming|International Data
  • Enabled Settings|Connections| Mobile Networks|Mobile data|Mobile Data

After a while, I noticed that my battery drain was not as bad and felt more or less normal! No clue, could be a cosmic ray, or perhaps  a flag was mis-set in the update binary, and toggling one or more of the indicated settings put it back in order. HTH.

0 Likes
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Just flashed Bootloader and Modem for my S7 G930F (flat) from latest G930FXXU2ERF4:

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11050483647474827867

https://androidfilehost.com/?fid=11050483647474827872

Will report next week.

Of course will update to full firmware when it will out for OXA multi region. :smileylol:

0 Likes
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

guys my rom is for english and i have batrry drain so for fix this i must flash just AP and CP file with odin?

please give more about this

who flashid cp an ap file and cell stanby bug is fix?

0 Likes