Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 13/06/18 22:17)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
scytheb
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

I have been experiencing the same problem as all the people above. No amount of the proposed "solutions" has helped, except downgrading to nougat which I have not yet tried. I hope Samsung comes up with something, as the battery drain even overnight with data and Wifi off is severe.

0 Likes
Arend85
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

One way to make the phone use less battery that does work (no fix) is to download BK Disabler and disable every app/service on the phone you do not use and need. This will actually make a noticable difference, even with the bug we are experiencing. 

Be sure you know what you disable though.

0 Likes
torbica
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

What also helps is turning off phone completely...

Aenima
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

:smileylol:

I have the same issue and I agree, the only way is downgrade or turn off the phone ahah.

Even on "plane mode"  "mode avion" in french and don't know how to say it in english...

On night, with no network or connections at all and in sleep mode, battery lost between 20 and 30% so I don't think the problem is caused by the network's stuffs...

Sry for my english, not my birth language 😉

0 Likes
Halonkira
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
I've downloaded the latest Nougat ROM for my region and flashed with Odin. That's the way to return to Nougat. I have a notification saying me to update to Oreo, but I won't update until this big issue is fixed.

Why we can't talk with Samsung directly? Is not possible to report bugs, or give information to Samsung with this issue to be fixed? What we need to do, publish messsages like this until some administrator here notifies the issue?
0 Likes
LiamH
Pathfinder
Options
Other Smartphones

Firstly, just a heads up to anyone with this issue. We strongly advise against flashing your phone yourself. Modifying the phone's software can void your warranty and can prevent access to core apps.

You can report issues such as this through the Samsung Members app. There's a guide on how to do that here. If you're not in the UK, the process may be slightly different so you should raise this with your local Support Team

James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi LiamH,

Thanks for your communication. Hopefully you can see there really is a problem with S7 edge phones and Oreo. This post has gained a reasonable amount of traction in a few days and it's only the people who know to come to the Samsung Community and use the correct search terms and put the effort in to reply / add to the posts. Think about how many other S7 Edge customers there must be out there also with this problem but who haven't found this community forum yet.

As a moderator you must have some authority here which you can use to back us up. I'm happy to have a go at posting directly through the Samsung Members app, but equally since you recommend not flashing phones ourselves I'd recommend in return that you insist that Samsung remove the Oreo update so that more people aren't tempted to do exactly what you're asking them to refrain from. Will you do this?

Thanks.

Halonkira
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
It isn´t only S7 Edge, I have the S7 Flat and it´s the same problem. The only constant is the Oreo update, it seems that the mobile signal is not managed correctly in terms of energy with the new update. Another curious fact about this issue, is that the detailed info of "cell standby" drain says "0 minutes" of activation, but the energy consumed is shown. On idle, the mAh consumed by this increases without control.

I´ve done some research with another persons that suffers the bug, and at first instance it doesn´t seem to be related to an old manufacturing date of the phone. S7 from 2016 and 2017 suffers the bug.
torbica
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi,

I have S7 flat and also stadby cell drain. This is the answer that I got from the Samsung members app:

Screenshot_20180613-215401_Samsung Members.jpg

Halonkira
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

And I can say that in Oreo with the drain, my battery is terrible. With the same usage, on Nougat, I don't need to charge it twice a day minimum.

James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Interesting information, thank you. I'll try the app anyway. Possibly a rhetorical question for you: when they say display error, do they mean the cell standby or the actual battery percentage, or both? Most of the time the percentages don't add up to 100 either. And my battery drains quicker, and it is warmer to the touch than with Nougat. 

In the absence of qualifying answers to these questions it makes me think that either they don't know what they're talking about or are fobbing us off. If Oreo was the problem there would be more than just Samsung people complaining elsewhere but I've seen no evidence to support this. Even some other Samsung phones are fine apparently.

I really don't know what to do about this issue but unless Samsung or a moderator can do something constructive to help, downgrading is a serious possibility for me, despite the rhetoric. 

0 Likes
MrDash
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Does downgrading to the official nougat rom using odin trigger the knox counter?

0 Likes
Ganaa
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Same situation.  S7 drains battery on lte network.  Pls. Help Samsung!!!!

0 Likes
Arend85
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Same here on my s7. Oreo does seem smoother than nougat but the battery drain has increased. Mobile standby using more than my screen. A fix is realy needed.

Halonkira
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
No. If it´s an official firmware, Knox counter isn´t increased.
0 Likes
Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

S7 regular here- not edge. RIDICULOUS battery drain after Oreo update. Been Googling for almost a week now and have tried everything suggested except for factory reset because everything I read says it does no good anyway. My phone is also warmer to the touch. I've read a few posts out there that says wait at least a week for the "OS to settle"? Is this legit advice or is this a troll? I can't get away from the wall I'm plugged into to function properly. Went to the grocery yesterday and got back to my car charger with 63% when I went into the store at 100%. Samsung, PLEASE send update to fix!

0 Likes
SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

Screenshot_20180703-105629_Settings.jpg

After flashing EREO modem. 

Screenshot_20180626-231606_Settings.jpg

Before flashing EREO, with ERD6 modem.

Check screenshots. Definitely got better what comes to cell standby battery (now it is consuming less battery regarding on statistics), but overall battery didn't get that better as I waited.

Will see if whole update (= official one; if it comes sometime) will fix the issue totally.

Make your conclusions using these screenshots.

0 Likes
Sylva1n
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

4h54 screen on time before modem update and 6h52 minutes after?

S7 edge and not flat I guess? Is it only on 4G or mixed usage between 4G and wifi?

*****, i think I barely ever had more than 3h30 with 4G on my S7 flat, even on marshmallow.

0 Likes
waaaly
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Just letting you know my experience on this. I'm running a G930FD with the Vodafone NZ firmware (VNZ), with the cell standby battery drain issue. I flashed the bootloader and modem from earlier in this thread (EREO) and this fixed the cell standby issue, but I had similar battery life overall due to Google play services battery drain.

This also caused the device status to be detected as custom, and android pay, Samsung health etc. would not work.

I flashed back to the VNZ bootloader and modem and the Google play services drain is fixed, but the cell standby issue came back. Device status is back to official now though. I will try just flashing the EREO modem (not the bootloader this time) and checking what difference that makes.

Either way, so far the battery life is worse on Oreo compared to Nougat regardless of firmware.

0 Likes
Mesho
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Guys! F**k this sh*t with mixing firmware, we did not pay for flagship device to play now with garage roms building, killing your warranty and bricking your device. If I wanted to go custom roms, I'll buy Xiaomi or other stuff and play with xda. When I clicked 'update' I expected that my device work better but now I see I can't really trust Samsung - it's my first (and probably last) device of this brand. I come back to Nougat (and recommend to all of you) and wait until this sh**storm will finish.

Dear Samsung! How much time will you fix your fault?! Will you fix it at all?!

srg-b
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

That's my point, too, but there's no point in yelling at Samsung because they don't give a rat's a** that you're upset. If the fix is in their roadmap, they'll deploy, if not, you're screwed. I've seen it so many times before with hardware producers.

So it's up to the community to find a way to restore phones to working state. If you don't like that there's nothing you can do other than selling the phone and buying a Google/Apple.