Original topic:

Cell Standby/Android System/Google Play Services battery drain for Oreo on S7

(Topic created on: 13/06/18 07:03)
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi, 

I really like my S7 Edge. However as a direct result of installing the Oreo update I have significant battery drain. The drain is attributable to cell standby which sometimes reaches over 50% of battery use. It definitely did not do this on Nougat, ever. 

I have not added any apps to cause this problem and would really like a suggestion about what to do. I can't believe Safe Mode will have any effect as this has happened as a result of the upgrade, not rogue apps. I am not keen to do a factory reset either as I can't see the benefit. I have cleared the cache, removed some apps, restarted etc, turned off any battery hungry options in settings but to no avail.

If anybody could help me I would be very grateful. I believe it is a bug in Oreo or Samsung's altered version of Oreo but cannot prove either. I can't think what to do apart from find out how to downgrade back to Nougat, which I don't want to do.

Many thanks.

739 REPLIES 739
The_Greek_One
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones
Same here guys. Installed Oreo today in my S7 and battery drainage from cell standby is horrible! Never had this again in any phone. At least I see I am not the only one. Samsung help please!
0 Likes
MrDash
Apprentice
Options
Other Smartphones

Someone said the problem started after the April patch but that is not right as I havent installed it yet and have the problem just after Oreo upgrade.

0 Likes
James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

If you look further down in this thread (you probably already have) you will see that moderator LiamH has replied about how to access the Samsung Members app to report the issue. I don't know how effective that is having never tried it, but will have a go.

Thanks for the information on downgrading; very helpful. Have you had any problems with it? Apparently you can switch off the constant update notifications in developer options. This might help you. :smiling-face: NB. LiamH has said that it's strongly recommended not to do that. But that information from Samsung is to be expected I guess...

This thread has gained a reasonable amount of traction since I posted so hopefully Samsung might realise there's a problem and not try to dismiss it as rogue apps, user incompetence, phone battery as it appears these are default responses.

In answer to your question about notifying Samsung directly, I simply don't know. I'm very wary of being fobbed off from various companies through unfortunate experience. First line support do their best (i've tried it) but with general scripting of which questions to ask and not being able to answer technical questions very easily it doesn't make it simple for consumers like us. Maybe numbers of people and complaints is the only way. Sorry I can't be more helpful. As far as I know this forum is for Samsung users to help each other and if a good moderator catches wind of what's going on he/she can make a big difference.

Rockchagin
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

It's really annoying. There's one thing you can try and turn on data saver, it significantly improves battery life on oreo. 

0 Likes
Peterson_
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Same here.

I have the oreo since yesterday.

Never had problem like this on previous version.Screenshot_20180613-070142_Settings.jpg

0 Likes
AntS
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi guys.

I've raised this issue to our software team; and me or one of the other mods will keep you updated on any advice they give. If you're able to, please do send any error log files on this issue over to the software team via the Members app (as per the advice from LiamH) - the more info they've got on something the better.

James0071
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi AntS,

Thank you very much for your feedback to the topic, it's really appreciated.

Hopefully we can help out with reports, but I'm not sure there are any error log files to report as such since it's a function of the software rather than an identifiable and tangible bug. What would you (anybody) suggest on what to do to help out?

AntS
Options
Other Smartphones

No worries, James0071. :robothappy:

Both some of you S7 guys and some of the S8 guys who’ve reported similar battery drain on Oreo have said that it’s worse on mobile data/4G, so in this instance I’d suggest capturing log files of when the phone’s on that.

AntS
Options
Other Smartphones

Hi all.

Just a brief update: Our software teams are investigating this issue, but determining an exact cause has proven to be more challenging than expected. They're continuing to look into this until they find a cause and a solution for you - and we'll keep you posted on any news.

In the meantime, please do keep submitting your experiences here and log files via error reports through the Members app; as well as keeping your phone's software and apps updated to the latest versions.

Sylva1n
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

Just a brief update: Our software teams are investigating this issue, but determining an exact cause has proven to be more challenging than expected. They're continuing to look into this until they find a cause and a solution for you - and we'll keep you posted on any news.

In the meantime, please do keep submitting your experiences here and log files via error reports through the Members app; as well as keeping your phone's software and apps updated to the latest versions.

Well as you may have read in the previous pages, it seems it comes from the modem firmware, people flashing their modem with the latest EREO firmware from HK & Taiwan (only flashing the modem, not the other parts) seems to have seen their battery life increase quite well.

SmashMix
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

@Sylva1n wrote:

@AntS wrote:

Hi all.

Well as you may have read in the previous pages, it seems it comes from the modem firmware, people flashing their modem with the latest EREO firmware from HK & Taiwan (only flashing the modem, not the other parts) seems to have seen their battery life increase quite well.

With EREO modem flashed on my phone (without BL) I can confirm that "cell standby" is not hanging in the top of battery statistics anymore, but I CAN NOT confirm BETTER battery life at all!

Today's example: ~13h after charging to 100% with ~4h SOT. Atm I have 6% battery left.

Battery life is very unpredictable even with EREO.

I'm agree with other member of this thread (and also with @AntS who said that Samsung realised that problem is much complicated than simple modem bag) that even the cell standby is not anymore "causing" battery drainage according to battery statistics, something is draining the battery instead of it or drainage is splitting to few application in statistics.

S9plus10
First Poster
Options
Other Smartphones

Samsung sends updates to damage mobile phones. whenever a new mobile phone comes out on the market.
Samsung sends new updates with bugs ... that make the phone block and warm up. the only way the phone to stay cold is to stop using it .. I bought new Samsung and for a year never warmed up and now in April came out a system update that put it extremely hot. in case of an accident and catch fire or endanger my life. the case will be serious. Please submit a new urgent update to fix the previous errors. Before it's too late.
  there because it has new phones in the market, customers do not need to buy. correct the error with urgency.

Before it is too late and endanger people's lives.
When the phone warms up the risk of catching fire is 95%.
So fix the error urgently

0 Likes
KornelB
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Guys, I'm sick and tired of this issue, Samsung is making too many mistakes that are affecting the users, first battery that are a manace to the customers and now system updates that are making the top products unusable. 

I'll seriously consider changing the producers, either Huawei or HTC. Really serious about this, I'm sick and tired to wait until they will fix their *****ups.

Mesho
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

Dear Samsung,

Do you need f**ckup like Note 7 to do something faster? Or it's your just quick info for us: "gimme another 700$ for next gen flagship"?

0 Likes
utahman1971
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

I will just enjoy my s7 edge, when it does not even have this problem at all. I got the T-Mobile update on 6/29/2018 and it has been working just fine, with no issues as others have been saying on any thread about the Oreo update. Hard for me to feel the same pain, when I am not having it. I am not going to agree or join into the hate posts. I am just going to state the fact my phone is not having a problem, like this people griping. I love and happy to have the update to Oreo. Too bad Samsung just can't please everyone. These forums are like people that review movies on IMDB. Complainers.

0 Likes
Sylva1n
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones

@utahman1971 wrote:

I will just enjoy my s7 edge, when it does not even have this problem at all. I got the T-Mobile update on 6/29/2018 and it has been working just fine, with no issues as others have been saying on any thread about the Oreo update. Hard for me to feel the same pain, when I am not having it. I am not going to agree or join into the hate posts. I am just going to state the fact my phone is not having a problem, like this people griping. I love and happy to have the update to Oreo. Too bad Samsung just can't please everyone. These forums are like people that review movies on IMDB. Complainers.

Are you a troll? I guess you are.

If Oreo has ben working great battery wise on your phone when comparing to Nougat then you're lucky, and we're not.

When you're paying 500-700$ for your device, barely 2 years old, and the update completely mess up your phone's battey life, you are entitled to complain. Good for you if it worked fine on your phone. As you said Samsung doesn't have to please everyone, just the people who bought these  phone (and I mean most of them).

Just look at how many are having the same problem. It's like a lottery winner saying to everyone you should not complain since "I've won and everything is great for me". Except this isn't a lottery, we all paid for the same thing here.

With these last sentences of yours you're basically complaning that people are complaning. You're a perfect fit for writing reviews on IMDB. Troll.

dj1891
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

Right folks, the solution for me was downgrade to the last version of Nougat.  I am amazed at the difference, On Oreo my phone used to die around 6pm, Now I go to bed at around 10pm and I have 20-30% left.  I also had to turn things like wifi off on Oreo when I wasn't using them just to extend battery life, on Nougat all is left on.

If you can, downgrade back to 7.0.  OK we shouldn't have to but hey at least you can on Samsung, on Apple when they do this kind of thing you're fcked as you can't downgrade.

Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Yeah you right. I'm just not confident on how exactly to downgrade back to Nougat without losing everything. It's the same with everyone saying "do a factory reset". Uhhh....looks like it didn't help anyone who did it so what's the point? I'd totally go back to Nougat, but can you do it without "flashing the modem" and all this stuff that's a wii bit over my head? Lol
0 Likes
dj1891
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

Nope modem has to be flashed.  Its not a big thing to do.  When you download it you get 4 files, they go into the corresponding spots in Odin and away you go.

Vylet22
Explorer
Options
Other Smartphones
Okay so still don't know how to do it though. And update: now my phone randomy restarts. Since I've updated to Oreo maybe a week and a half ago, my phone has restarted randomly (both while using it and while it was charging overnight). Add this to the massive battery depletion and losing all custom text alerts, I'd really like to go back to Nougat. Honestly I'd be delighted to go back to frikkin KitKat.
Carolll
Navigator
Options
Other Smartphones

Screenshot_20180709-180641_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180709-180700_Settings.jpg

Screenshot_20180709-180741_GSam Battery Monitor.jpg

Hi all, I usually stay on offline mode because of the cell standby issue, today I had to switch it off and when I reached 17% battery it suddenly got to 5% then 2% so I plugged the phone and it went to 0%, now normally charging.. I did not see any overheating etc but I mean what the heck. (my phone is just one year old) anyone other experienced this?

0 Likes