Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can we please have a smaller phone?

(Topic created on: 19-01-2023 11:06 AM)
alexkatz
Explorer
Options

I bought my Samsung s10e in 2019 and since then I can't upgrade my phone. I have unlimited money (for a phone) but the market doesn't respond to my cravings. And it has been 4 years. I want a new phone with a better cpu, better camera, side-mounted fingerprint scanner and 120hz 5.8 inch screen. Is that too much to ask? 

What I tried (by "tried" I mean bought and tested for a month before returning):

Iphone XR - huge, terrible software (I hate IOS.), wobbly in the table (camera on one side)

Samsung s21 - too big, hard to reach top of the screen, not a fan of fingerprint scanner, wobbly

Samsung s22 - basically the same. although it's a little bit smaller, still bad. Wobbly

iphone 13 mini - square, terrible software

I know that I can buy a case to even out the surface. But I'm buying a phone with a glass back because I like the feel.

Also, I have huge hands (I can press left ctrl and right ctrl with one hand) but I'm used to using my phone with a single hand. 

There is also zenfone that felt PERFECT at the store but I don't like the camera there. And I like samsung, I REALLY don't want to switch. But if s23 is another huge brick - I'm going to give up. I just can't take it any longer, I need a new phone that I don't want to break against the wall because it hurts my hand to use it.

I have plenty of friends who feel the same. Unlimited money but no good phones to spend them on. At this point, if you just put a better camera in S10e and upgrade the CPU and the screen (you can even cut the battery in half, I can carry a powerbank..) - I will give you 2k for this monstrosity.  

18 REPLIES 18
nowdeleted
Big Cheese
Options
Phones back in the 80's were like bricks.. how do you think carphone wherhouse got it name
Move onto the 2000s and the phones were that small you could not use them.
Then along came smart phones. Easy to use and adaptable.
Depends if you want a small phone that you can not use.
If you want all the mod cons go fora new phone ...
0 Likes
alexkatz
Explorer
Options

I want a usable phone and willing to pay 2k-3k euro for it.

What phone are you suggesting? 

It's all about hitting the niches. Samsung forgot about us, people who like to use phones with one hand. I'm saying that I'm still willing to pay top money and there is literally no way I'm switching to a big phone - I tried. And I will buy s23. And most likely I will return it. And my money will be left on the counter.

0 Likes
Fiona26
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options
Have you thought about the pixel 7? 6.3 in screen, 90hz not 120hz. Meant to have good cameras. Perhaps stick with Samsung and try the flip. I would look up reviews, unfortunately you just don't get all the top specs with smaller form factors anymore. But I'm sure there is a phone out there that suits your needs.
tinglish
Hotshot
Options
They don't make small phones anymore (at least not the size you're looking for).
Personally I think the s22 is pretty much the perfect size and design and quite easy to use one handed.
You could look at getting a flip phone but of course that's only small when closed.
0 Likes
Options
If you want a small Android phone I suggest the Pixel 6a, or if you're willing to wait a few months, the Pixel 7a
alexkatz
Explorer
Options

I don't like flip because of the screen plastic feeling and the crease. I tried it in the store, didn't catch my eye. I don't care how big the phone is in my pocket as well.

Pixel 7 is significantly bigger:

Pixel 7

155.6 x 73.2 x 8.7 mm (6.13 x 2.88 x 0.34 in)

Samsung s10e

142.2 x 69.9 x 7.9 mm (5.60 x 2.75 x 0.31 in)

Samsung s22

146 x 70.6 x 7.6 mm (5.75 x 2.78 x 0.30 in)

Even s22 was too big for me let alone 155mm monster. It is also wider

alexkatz
Explorer
Options

Yeah, I've been waiting for 4 years already. So I can wait another 6 months. But from the rumors it still will be 152.4mm high like pixel 6a. I will still try it but I think it will be too tall.

0 Likes
BaronDigo
Helping Hand
Options
Have you looked at the Z flips?
Too small for me but I like the height
0 Likes
alexkatz
Explorer
Options

Too tall

0 Likes