Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't wipe phone

(Topic created on: 02-09-2021 08:57 PM)
Sargan
Pioneer
Options

I have a Samsung S7 that my Father had been using on a VF contract.
He died in April .... we closed the contract.

Now trying to set up phone as a PAYG on Three for my daughter.
When you boot it up it needs an unlock code - to fill the NUL request form in on VF you need the IMEI which I don't have.
I can't use *#06# as the phone comes up as locked and needs PIN. (which I don't have)
Hrs of fun with VF support they advised carrying out hardware reset on the phone.

Did that .... it wipes ... starts config & connects to WiFi but then advises it was an unauthorised reset and needs previous Google account details - which I don't have.

So 2 issues - I can't get phone to clean state and I can't get phone's IMEI

Anybody know how to proceed.

18 REPLIES 18
Easty
Big Cheese
Options
Have you the original box it came in , Imei number will be on it
Samsung Galaxy Note 10 Plus 5g
Samsung Tab S6 Lte 256gb
Samsung Galaxy Watch
0 Likes
Sargan
Pioneer
Options

No I dont have that

0 Likes
Mitzzz999
Hotshot
Options
This has turned into even more of a nightmare for you now.

You wanted the device network unlocked but now have a Google FRP lock... Factory Reset Protection... and still it's Voda locked.

They should not have advised you to do that as it was your Dad's phone and during conversation they should have understood that. They should have asked and checked if your Dad's Gmail account was still on the phone before doing that and if so, if you knew the password to it. Technical department should know this.

They've just made the whole thing more difficult in advising that... I had to double and triple check that they told you to do that.

A proof of purchase will now be required to remove that Google lock if you can't get the Google password as proof of ownership is needed to get past that Google unauthorised reset screen.
0 Likes
Sargan
Pioneer
Options
No chance of having proof of purchase my Father has gone... so no way of getting this.
Hope it doesn't mean phone is now scrap.
I eventually found his Gmail details..even the pwd. Thought it was all sorted then it advised ig has sent a security code to his alternate email address (non gmail) I have no way of getting that email.
0 Likes
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

I'm sorry for your loss @Sargan 

The phone's onboard security protocols to stop unauthorised access and resets will activate I'm afraid so without the necessary passwords this is not meant to be circumvented.

Your probably going to run into the Samsung 2 Step Verification security protocols too.

When I became stuck with resetting my phone a while ago my local Samsung Experience Store helped me by hooking itup to their in-house systems which reset my phone,  however with the phone not being your property I don't feel they'll be able to assist you with this unfortunately. 

Maybe eject the sim card tray to see if the imei is printed on there  ! 

Vodafone would only unlock the phone to all networks for the account holder too.

A person can pick up a Vodafone Payg sim card and use that for a short time so the phone's information locks to the new Vodafone Payg account and then request the unlock using the Nuc form however the imei is going to be needed.

Alternatively a reputable Highstreet Store that advertises they unlock phone's or an online site can unlock phone's for a fee however the issue remains over the security protocols stopping use  / reset of the phone.

I suppose it depends on how much time and effort your willing to put into trying to get the phone unlocked and reset.

I wish you all the best with this.

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Options
I wouldn't let my daughter use Three. Their coverage is awful hence they give away so much data. I would want my daughter to have a connection is as many places as possible without WIFI. Vodafone maybe expensive but the coverage is far better. A cheaper option on Vodafone is VOXI which is run by Vodafone. They would let you use the phone as they own and run VOXI. They have a deal which is £15 per month for 20GB with unlimited data for streaming and social media apps. Which would work out cheaper than PAYG plus it's a 30 day rolling contract which is a no brainer for the safety of a child.
0 Likes
Sargan
Pioneer
Options

I have chosen to give her Three PAYG ... as the rest of the family is on Three.   There is no VF signal where we are and Three allows calls & SMS over WiFi

I do not want a contract on this phone

0 Likes
Sargan
Pioneer
Options

Update ..... I have 100% verified gmail address & pasword (even changed it)  I can log in successfully to Gmail account on a browser.

I have set a new secondary email (which now works) and a new phone number (my own)   but when I enter gmail account into phone .... it failes and advises it needs previoulsy synced gmail account to use.       There is no other account.

From that phone I even verfied email  (it sent code to my email)  and changed password it sent code by SMS to my phone.

Yet when I  put in details it still fails.

0 Likes
nac5
Journeyman
Options
Have you tried taking it to a phone repair shop
0 Likes