Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't move apps on Samsung s8

(Topic created on: 15-05-2021 04:15 PM)
Edelgard
Student
Options

I don't know what's suddenly caused this, but I looked at my phone one minute and it was fine, and the next all of the folders on my apps screen had rearranged themselves. It turns out that the apps inside the folders are also rearranged, and that I can no longer move any apps or folders on the apps screen. I can still move apps on the home screen, but if I remove the apps screen and just have several home screens, then I can no longer move apps on the home screen either.

Restarting the phone has had no effect, although at some point the app folders rearranged themselves for a second time...I have several dozen apps and having them move on me is going to make doing anything efficiently rather difficult. If anyone has any advice on how to: a) stop the apps from rearranging themselves as they please, and/or b) allow me to regain the right to move them myself, that would be greatly appreciated. 

0 Likes
6 REPLIES 6
strawberry cake
Hotshot
Options

hi @Edelgard 

settings > display > home screen > switch off "lock homescreen layout"

thanks 

(\_/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") strawberry cake so delicious

Edelgard
Student
Options

Ah @lunaticore I wish it was that easy! Unfortunately I've already tried this, but it's actually only the apps screen that is affected, not the home screen. And my home screen isn't locked anyway. Thanks for your effort though.

0 Likes
Lancito
First Poster
Options

Thank you very much! 

0 Likes
Edelgard
Student
Options

Just an update to say that this issue still hasn't been fixed 🤧 I just got an s10 and I was so paranoid that the problem might magically transfer to the new phone that I downloaded all of my apps one by one instead of transferring everything! However I can confirm that on my new phone I can actually decide where to put apps on the app screen, so that's a relief :smiling-face:

But then again I did have my s8 for 1.5 years before the problem arose, so I'm not exactly holding my breath...

0 Likes
SrCactus11
First Poster
Options

Good thing u did. I used smart switch, and now I cant move them on my new phone either... yay

0 Likes
Calin Neculache
First Poster
Options

I know I am a bit late to the party but did you check if you switched the sort setting to alphabetical order instead of customer order for apps screen.

If you still have the phone, swipe up , press the 3 dots in the top right and select sort, there it will tell you if you have alphabetical or custom order enabled. 

While alphabetical order is selected you can't move apps around, as I am sure the answer is obvious to this one, because you would break the alphabetical order.

0 Likes