Close

What are you looking for?

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I limit the charging current drawn by a Samsung S6?

(Topic created on: 17-05-2020 05:39 AM)
Sean-Mck
Explorer
Options

The phone is drawing a lot of charge from a drone controller's battery, I want to know if it is possible to reduce the current drawn by the phone. By way of comparison, it seems that I will have to recharge the controller every 1.5 hrs of 'flight time' whereas, for someone using an I-phone, the interval is 4.5 hours.

I have just switched off fast charging so as yet do not know if this will have any effect. (The thought to do so occurred to me whilst typing this question)

Thanks

PS When the phone is connected to the controller it seems to set its USB mode to "charging via USB" or some such thing rather than a data transfer mode. When connected to the controller he phone is used to

a) view telemetry and video sent from the drone to the controller etc.

b) change various behaviours of the drone i.e. it controls some aspect of the drone &

c) store data i.e. flight logs, from the drone.

So it is involved in sending and receiving data to and from the controller, this works BTW when in the 'charging mode' so that aspect is not a problem.

If I try to switch the phone's USB connection mode to one of the data modes the change does not 'take' and the phone reverts to 'charging mode'.

0 Likes
2 REPLIES 2
BandOfBrothers
Samsung Members Star ★★
Options

Unless a specific app allows this then I think the answer wouod be No if via the phones settings @Sean-Mck 

🌈 Stay Safe  🌈 

Daily Driver > Samsung Galaxy s²⁴ Ultra 512Gb ~ Titanium Black.

The advice I offer is my own and does not represent Samsung’s position.
I'm here to help. " This is the way. "

0 Likes
Sean-Mck
Explorer
Options

Thanks for the reply.

I believe there are apps that limit the maximum percentage charge but that they need root access. I am not going to try rooting a device I need. Besides which, I am not certain what would happen to the data stream if the charging current is, presumably, stopped. I have read that USB spec demand some charge/current before data is allowed to flow.

0 Likes