Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android Pay (GPay) stopped working on Galaxy J530

(Topic created on: 22-07-2021 08:10 PM)
Tarkus Concertante
Journeyman
Options

Android Pay (Google Pay, GPay) was working fine on my Galaxy SM-J530F until yesterday. An official Android security patch (patch level -1 May 2021) was auto-downloaded from Samsung on 21/07/2021 and after installation & restart, Android Pay says that my "device doesn't meet security standards'. It also suggests that the device may be rooted (it isn't) or running uncertified software (it isn't). I've tried clearing cache & restarting but no luck. It seems to only affect contactless payments, but that's all I use GPay for. Anyone else seen this behaviour?

16 REPLIES 16
welshlad
First Poster
Options
It happened to me I factory restarted my phone still didn't work I'm j5
0 Likes
Members_eGnXqpP
First Poster
Options

Yeah, same problem. Gone round and round with Samsung only to be told (even after full factory reset) to contact Google! Last Samsung phone I'll be using

Tarkus Concertante
Journeyman
Options

Google just told me that it's 'not our problem'.

Samsung isn't listening.

Switching to Apple Pay.

0 Likes
affebay
Journeyman
Options
Oh, can you use Apple Pay on your Samsung? I have yet to get a reply from Google but not holding my breath
0 Likes
Tarkus Concertante
Journeyman
Options

Sorry, I slipped into sacrcasm mode for a moment there. No, you can't use Apple Pay on a Samsung. I gave the J5 to my Dad and adopted my wife's cast-off iPhone 8, and use Apple Pay on that. I'm not impressed by iPhone & iOS, so I've loaded a couple of Google apps onto it (gmail & Google maps). However, I needed to have a contactless payment facility, and preferred the idea of Apple Pay over Samsung Pay.

Before ditching the J5, I submitted an error report to Samsung re GPay, but they haven't responded with anything positive. That's probably the end for me & Samsung.

Tarkus Concertante
Journeyman
Options

GPay has apparently started working again on my Galaxy J5. By chance, I installed Google Authenticator as a means of enabling two-factor authentication in the Firefox web browser. Soon afterwards, to my surprise, I noticed that GPay had stopped complaining that the device didn't meet security requirements. This is the only significant change I've made to my J5 since GPay stopped working, following the firmware update in July 2021, so I have to assume that the installation of Google Authenticator has 'fixed' the security issues. I haven't actually tried to use the J5 to make a contactless payment yet, but the 'Contactless setup' report within GPay shows a full-house of blue ticks, including 'Your phone meets security requirements'. If your GPay isn't working due to 'security requirements', try installing Google Authenticator.

affebay
Journeyman
Options
Mine has also started working again and I haven't done anything to my phone. I just so happened to be looking at the settings for Google Pay and it all looked ok to use so I tried it and it worked. I suspect Google has done a sneaky update to get it working again!
0 Likes