Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Go to solution Solved

Alternative Character settings on Samsung J3

(Topic created on: 06-07-2022 08:39 PM)
Gram1
Apprentice
Options

I have a Samsung J3 (2016 model). I want to turn off the alternative characters as this causes me to constantly make typos every time I text. I have searched all over the internet and everything I have found states: Go to settings then General Management > Language and Input > On-Screen Keyboard > Samsung Keyboard > Style and Layout > Keyboard Layout then toggle off.

Firstly, I can't see any setting of 'General Management' (phone is a Samsung J3 2016 model) so I can only assume that Samsung updated the settings menu on later phones. However I can get to the 'Samsung Keyboard' option through the setting of 'Language and Input'. Once there, there are toggle settings to turn off predictive text, auto capitalise, auto punctuate but I can't see a setting to toggle on/off alternative characters. I realise this phone is now an old model but surely there must be a way to turn off the alternative characters. Is anyone familiar with this particular model who can enlighten me?

3 REPLIES 3
Solution
Troubadour
Pioneer
Options
Google "simple keyboard for android". Note there is some hope one of the suggestions will work as it appears in Google Play Store.
Gram1
Apprentice
Options

@Troubadour wrote:
Google "simple keyboard for android". Note there is some hope one of the suggestions will work as it appears in Google Play Store.

Thank you so much, that has done the trick😁. However I find it incredible that Samsung could design such a phone that does not give the option to turn off alternative characters in the settings! Thanks again.

0 Likes
AndrewL
Options

@Gram1: I know that the option to enable/disable alternative characters is available in later Android versions, but I'm not sure when this option was introduced. If you head to Settings > About phone (this may be called About device) > Software Information > Android version, and let me know your current Android version, then I will look into this further for you. 

0 Likes